Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

Father Of 9 Year Old Murder Victim In Tucson Does Not Want Restrictions Of Freedoms!

In my opinion the guy shows incredible wisdom in the midst of his grief. He calls for not overreacting. His respect for freedom is a model for all Americans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Rj47lB1a-0Y

vCash
    My son turns 9 in 7 days. If I lost him there is no way I'd hold up like this man. None.

vCash
    And the opinion of some random guy in Tucson matters why?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by philab View Post
    cause he is the father of the 9 year old killed and that is the biggest story going on right now in this country and some politicians are using it as a way to gain support for more gun control, tighter security and such. so if this man who just lost his daughter to this horrible tragedy doesn't call for more stricter laws then it matters cause he is an actual victim and he actually knows what it feels like where many of us don't.

vCash
    He's the father of the little girl that was shot. The interview was his response to what happened. How he was able to give an interview now I don;t know.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patsfan56 View Post
    He's the father of the little girl that was shot. The interview was his response to what happened. How he was able to give an interview now I don;t know.
    I know, it was so sad to listen to. you said you had a daughter thats turning 9 right? makes you really think I bet.

vCash
    Yeah, he's the father of a little girl who got shot. Sad as that may be (in all seriousness), how does that qualify his opinions on restrictions of freedoms?

I mean, even if the guy IS someone whose opinion should be respected, we should then prefer NOT to know about his little girl, for fear that the passions of the situation cloud our judgment.

Did the opinion of the WTC survivors who wanted the mosque moved matter? No. Did the opinion of the WTC survivors who wanted it to stay matter? No.

What matters is reason. Any attempt to infuse passions into the realm of reason should be rejected outright.

vCash
    He's not random.

While it wouldn't be right to use his opinion to justify any point that is being made, it's still pretty impressive on a personal level. And, I mean, you gotta feel for the guy.

vCash
    Yeah, I don't really care who he is. If he makes a valid point, then he should be judged on the merit of the point he's making, and not on the genetic material he shares with someone.
    Visit my Blog.

"Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    Yeah, I don't really care who he is. If he makes a valid point, then he should be judged on the merit of the point he's making, and not on the genetic material he shares with someone.
    You're right. The fact his daughter was just murdered makes hiom no more credible than you on this event.

His opinion matters, whether you like it or not.

vCash
    You're right. The fact his daughter was just murdered makes him no more credible than you on this event.
    Correct.

His opinion matters, whether you like it or not.
    Incorrect.

vCash
    Correct.

Incorrect.
    Flat out, dead wrong on both counts. He talked about what kind of person his daughter was, and how he was getting through, and what people could do for his family, and in his responses he asked for people not using his daughter to enact new laws. I think he is probably one of the two people on this planet capable of telliing people what they should or should not do in his daughter's name.

The other aspect I have to question is what kind of person calls out the father for voicing his feelings after his 9 yearl old is murdered. If people can't see that, they need how to be a human being lessons.

vCash
    Flat out, dead wrong on both counts. He talked about what kind of person his daughter was, and how he was getting through, and what people could do for his family, and in his responses he asked for people not using his daughter to enact new laws. I think he is probably one of the two people on this planet capable of telliing people what they should or should not do in his daughter's name.

The other aspect I have to question is what kind of person calls out the father for voicing his feelings after his 9 yearl old is murdered. If people can't see that, they need how to be a human being lessons.
    Please, I did not "call out" this guy for voicing his feelings. D Roses Bulls offered the guy's feelings as an attempt to influence our opinions on restrictions of freedoms. I correctly noted that the passions of this situation should not cloud our reason, whether they be in the name of more restriction, less restriction, or no change in restriction.

I don't have a problem with this guy being on TV. I have a problem with the argument that his opinion matters more because of his proximity to the situation. That is allowing passions to enter the realm of reason. We should reject that argument or else embrace irrationality.

And please don't try to demonize me again. I have nothing but respect and sorrow for this guy. Your post here was actually very, very offensive.

vCash
    Whether you agree that his opinion should matter it does, he will ultimately be a witness testifying in some capacity and his willingness (or lack thereof) will play a big role.

Not so much in the conviction, that is a gimme. But in the proceedings to determine sentencing. That is where the fact that the father feels strongly one way or another will play a monumental role.

Again, you dont have to like it, but his opinion does matter.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Whether you agree that his opinion should matter it does, he will ultimately be a witness testifying in some capacity and his willingness (or lack thereof) will play a big role.

Not so much in the conviction, that is a gimme. But in the proceedings to determine sentencing. That is where the fact that the father feels strongly one way or another will play a monumental role.

Again, you dont have to like it, but his opinion does matter.
    We're talking his opinion on restrictions of freedom. He won't be testifying to any of that.

And he won't giving his opinion at trial. And his opinion most certainly won't be allowed to influence the jury's decision on sentencing. And unless he was actually a witness to the shooting (not clear if he was), then he won't be a witness at all.

And clearly we're talking about whether in matters in an objective sense ... whether it should matter.

It should not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast