Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    3 Boise players held out of UGA game

BOISE, Idaho — Boise State coaches say three foreign-born players are being held out of the season opener against Georgia because the players are undergoing a review of their eligibility by the NCAA.

The players include starting wide receiver Geraldo Boldewijn, starting safety Cedric Febis and backup defensive lineman Ricky Tjong-A-Tjoe.

Athletic Department spokesman Max Corbett says the players did not make the trip to Atlanta, where the No. 5 Broncos are getting ready to play No. 19 Georgia on Saturday in the Georgia Dome.

Corbett says the NCAA review is not related to academics or violations of team rules.

All three are from the Netherlands and left high school early to enroll and play prep football for high schools in Boise.

All three cleared eligibility and played for the Broncos last season.
    SOURCE

vCash
    - From 2001-2004, when Brian Van Gorder was defensive coordinator, the Bulldogs allowed 30 points in a game only one time. Since 2005, when BVG took the HC job at Ga Southern, they have allowed 30+ points a total of 20 times.

- Murray has a lot to work on, but that son of a ***** is tough and has taken some serious hits behind this sad, sad offensive line.

- Ogletree and Robinson are the two most important players in the front seven. Now they're both injured and will be out for some time.

- Mitchell and Bennett are the two best WRs on the roster, but they aren't targeted nearly enough.

- Crowell will be a special player, once he tightens up on his pass protection.

- A team with perennial Top 10 recruiting classes is looking up at programs such as Boise and USCe. Just something to think about.

vCash
    Really like the RB combo of Crowell and Thomas.

Bennett and Mitchell are STILL the only legit WRs on the roster.

vCash
    How bout them Dawgs!

vCash
    ^ Yep! Murray looks like a completely different player from the early part of the season, and I can't say enough great things about this defense. I'll be the first to admit I was wrong about Grantham. He finally got some athletes and they're showing us what they can do.

vCash
    Damn straight our defense is shutting people down and our offense is blowing teams out! We are really hot and the best time, Kentucky next week and SEC championship here we come. Can anyone smeel upset and nationial championship spoiler?

vCash
    Last two weeks, Murray has 9 touchdowns and 9 incompletions.

vCash
    If we win the SEC championship and knock LSU out of a title hunt, there is no way they cant put us in the top 5 next year.

vCash
    ^Maybe, almost everyone will be back but they'll still have to finish the season pretty strong including the bowl game, that's what the voters will remember. Murray will have to play the game of his life to get it done vs that LSU secondary, though.
    Last edited by Bravo95; 11-15-2011 at 06:00 PM.

vCash
    That's true he would but if the Murray from the last three games shows up we got a great chance he is lights out lately

vCash
    Yeah, I agree. The kicking platoon seems to have settled things down on ST; gotta keep it up.

AJC blog on CTG looking for an extension:
    Grantham has 14 months remaining on a three-year contract he signed to become Georgia’s defensive coordinator in January of 2010. His annual salary of $750,000 ranks among the highest in the country for assistant coaches.

Grantham’s agent/attorney, Michael Harrison of Stevenson Ranch, Calif., told the AJC on Sunday that Grantham wants a contract extension. Harrison said he has already “gotten inquiries” from some NFL teams about the possibility of Grantham returning to that league and that he has “gotten feelers” indirectly from colleges gauging Grantham’s interest in becoming a head coach. Ultimately, however, he said Grantham wants to remain in Athens.

Grantham was asked about his agent’s comments on Tuesday.

“You hire people to do a job for you and I let him handle that part of it,” he said. “My focus is on getting the defense to play well and getting us ready for the Kentucky game and getting ready to win the SEC East, truthfully.”

Grantham’s defense has climbed to No. 4 in the nation statistically as the Bulldogs have won eight straight games. A win over Kentucky on Saturday will clinch a berth in the Dec. 3 SEC Championship Game in the Georgia Dome.

vCash
    We should keep him. He has done a great job with the defense and turned a 4-3 defense into a 3-4 defense in record time. Would be a loss to the university if we lose him.

vCash
    Yeah, the fact that he came from the NFL has to help on the recruiting trail.
    Crowell (5-foot-11, 215 pounds) is on pace to become the Bulldogs’ first 1,000-yard rusher since Knowshon Moreno had, 1,400 yards in 2008. With 821 yards rushing, he has already surpassed Washaun Ealey’s production from a year ago (811). He is currently third in the SEC with an average of 91.2 yards per contest.

Getting to the 1,000-yard mark is something Crowell is determined to do.

“I want to get over 1,000 pretty bad,” said Crowell, who would be the only Bulldog other than Herschel Walker to do it as a true freshman.

“My goal was to be a freshman All-American. I don’t know if that’s going to happen or whatever, but I definitely want to get a thousand. That was my goal at the beginning of the season and I want to be able to reach my goal.”
    Last edited by Bravo95; 11-17-2011 at 02:15 PM.

vCash
    Way to go Georgia! It was not pretty, but the Dawgs defense carried us through. I don't care how you rank it, UGAs defense is as good as any in the country right now. They are playing lights out. Currently rank 4th in the nation and have held seven of the last eight opponets to 13 points or less. You put them up against Bama or LSU and I say they are atleast very close to the same level. And will only be better next year!

vCash
    The mighty Munson: A singular voice that will resonate forever

By Mark Bradley

He wasn’t the classic radio voice. On purely technical terms, he wasn’t the paragon of play-by-play, either. But such was the power of the mighty Munson personality that none of that mattered. You didn’t care if his calls were vague or his growl sounded like a Waring blender being jammed down a garbage disposal. You cared only that the man behind the microphone agonized as much over this particular football game as you did.

This isn’t to suggest Larry Munson wasn’t a pro. He was. But he was the amateur’s pro. There was no distance in him. He’d beseech the Georgia defense to hunker down – “One … more … time” — and he’d fret that a perfectly winnable game was unwinnable simply because that’s way of all fretters, and when the unwinnable game somehow got won the famous growl would raise hosannas as sweet as any bit of church music.

The idea of radio play-to-play was, in those long-ago days before every game found some television outlet, to paint a picture and to tell a story. Munson painted like Van Gogh and conjured up better stories than Jack London. Any broadcaster could give you the down and distance; only Munson could give you the agony and the ecstasy.

From property being destroyed on St. Simons after Belue-to-Scott to the Knoxville noses broken by the hobnailed boot, the Munson sense of imagery was a gale force unto itself. Nobody else sounded like him. Nobody else would choose the words he chose. The first time I heard Munson doing a Georgia game, I thought I had, by some trick of the ionosphere, tuned into some ham radioman having a nervous breakdown. The more I listened to the great man, the more I realized my first impression wasn’t far wrong, and I mean that in the best possible way.

There were no mail-in Saturdays for Munson. Every week was another passion play. Didn’t matter if the Bulldogs were playing the worst team in creation- Munson would worry to the extent that his listeners started breaking out in flop sweat because, halfway through the first quarter, Podunk State was “acting as if she wants to score.” -

When Vince Dooley went overboard extolling some overmatched opponent’s virtues, we’d all wink. When Munson started growling on (and on) about the speed of Podunk … well, the winking would cease and the nerve-jangling would commence. You’d suspend disbelief simply because of the force of one voice.

I’m proud to say I knew the man, and I must tell you this: There was no artifice in the Munson persona. What you heard on-air was the Larry Munson. I’ll never forget that cold day in Auburn back in 2002, when 10-1 Georgia, ranked No. 7 in the land, was trying to win the SEC East for the first time. Before kickoff, I asked Munson what he thought. He looked at me as if I was crazy for even asking. “We haven’t got a chance in hell,” he said.

History will record that Georgia won on the fourth-down pass — 70-X-Takeoff, the play was called — from David Greene to Michael Johnson, and somehow the Bulldogs had again overridden the odds and the fates and the primordial Munson doubts to prevail. And that was why Munson held us in such thrall: Georgia wouldn’t win because it had twice the talent of its opponent but because good had, miracle of miracles, trumped evil.

To listen to Cawood Ledford, the greatest pure play-by-play man who ever lived, call a Kentucky game was to hear talent and craftsmanship over the airwaves. To hear Munson at work was to be bombarded by the sheer depth of feeling for what he was witnessing. When the famous Memphis record man Sam Phillips first heard the blues singer Howlin’ Wolf on the radio, Phillips is said to have said: “This is where the soul of man never dies.”

To hear Larry Munson call Georgia football was to experience something similar. The great man passed away Sunday night at age 89; the great voice will live forever.
    "Any broadcaster could give you the down and distance; only Munson could give you the agony and the ecstasy."

^ That line says it best. His pessimism is what made him great, IMO. The Lindsay Scott run vs. UF is probably the best call you'll ever hear, but I'll never forget the Auburn game in '02.

RIP
    Last edited by Bravo95; 11-21-2011 at 11:12 AM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast