Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Don't see how linebacker is a problem. We get Ray Drew who can start from day one to play OLB, we are getting 5* Junior Jarvis Jones who transefered from USC, Christian Robinson, and Richard Samuel.

For DE, we slide DeAngelo Tyson over to DE since we have Jenkins playing NT.

For WR, King will be our go to guy. I'm still hoping Brown can become something. Our featured back should be either Malcome or Crowell, but who knows?

vCash
    I think if you polled most fans, offensive line is the #1 concern going into next season.

vCash
    Need to see some highlight film of Malcome. Every time the RB situation is discussed, people fall over themselves lavishing praise.

vCash
    Sturdivant or Glenn at left tackle? Boykin as punt returner?

ATHENS — Barring injury, Trinton Sturdivant and Cordy Glenn surely will be Georgia’s starting offensive tackles this year. It’s not clear at this point, though, which one of them will play left tackle and which one will play right tackle.

Both are getting work at both spots during spring practice, new offensive line coach Will Friend said Tuesday night.

“Whoever wins that job,” Friend said, “will be the left tackle,” entrusted to protect quarterback Aaron Murray’s blind side.

Glenn started all 13 games last season at left guard and moved this spring to tackle, where he is “rusty,” Friend said, but “could be a dominant player.” Sturdivant started seven games last season at left tackle, where he also started 13 games as a freshman in 2007 before missing almost all of the ‘08 and ‘09 seasons with knee injuries.

Kenarious Gates and Justin Anderson have been considered the leading candidates to start at the guards, but Friend said backup center Chris Burnette worked some at first-team guard Tuesday.

“I grade everything that goes on,” Friend said, “and Chris has graded pretty good, so he got to work with the 1’s at the guard spot.”

————-

Brandon Boykin, Georgia’s career record-holder in kickoff return yards, also might return punts this year.

He is getting a serious look in the role this spring, along with Branden Smith, Tavarres King, Carlton Thomas and Rantavious Wooten.

“We’ve got to try all those guys; that’s what spring is for,” said Bryan McClendon, who coaches the punt-return unit. “Hopefully somebody is taking that job over pretty soon here.”

Boykin, a rising senior cornerback, has 1,813 career kickoff return yards, including an SEC-record three 100-yard returns.

As for why Boykin hasn’t returned punts in the past, McClendon noted that he already was playing a large number of snaps between defense and special teams. “But right now if he’s the best guy for the job, he’s the one that’s going to do it,” McClendon said.
    http://blogs.ajc.com/uga-sports-blog...punt-returner/

vCash
    Does anyone have a time table on Kent Turene?

vCash
    Georgia will be ranked 22 to start the season...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaseyRyback
    Does anyone have a time table on Kent Turene?
    Nope. Seems like bodies are dropping every week.

vCash
    I like this Georgia team.. they're going to surprise everyone this season..

vCash

vCash
    They call it “The Chute.” It’s one of the drills Georgia running backs must negotiate early every practice and Bruce Figgins dreads it like a daily root canal.

The object is to zigzag as fast as possible through a series of metal gates while stepping over dummies and holding the football “high and tight.” This is not much of a challenge for 5-foot-7 tailback Carlton Thomas or even the 5-foot-11 Isaiah Crowell. But for the 6-foot-4, 274-pound Figgins, slipping under the metal bar maybe four feet from the ground can be problematic.

“I don’t know how high they are but ‘CT’ can almost stand straight up to them. They come up to his nose,” said Figgins, a senior fullback.”You can imagine how hard it is for me to get under them. Me and Richard [Samuel] have the toughest time. Our heads are always clinking it.”

Trouble is, if you “clink” the metal bar, you have to repeat the drill. So often running backs coach Bryan McClendon is yelling at Figgins, “run it again!”

“I’ll be looking at Coach Mac and he’s like, ‘Don’t be looking at me like that. Get under the chute!’,” Figgins said with a laugh.

It is a bit of an oddity to have a guy Figgins’ size in the backfield. But short on depth at the fullback position, the Bulldogs saw the versatile fifth-year senior as the answer to their problems.

“The tight end and the fullback position, a lot of their assignments actually carry over,” Georgia coach Mark Richt said. “He’s almost the same guy in a lot of formations we run. . . . Bruce is a big fullback who’s athletic enough to re-direct when he’s got to block a certain person. He fits into all the things we need there. He’s got to get used to blocking moving targets in more space and that takes time. But I’ve seen fullbacks that weigh 220 who can do a great job and guys that weight 280 and do it great. It’s just a matter of knowing what to do and wanting to do it bad enough and is he tough enough for that type of contact because it’s a high-contact position.”

A tight end his first four seasons, including a redshirt year, Figgins is sharing fullback duties with the 5-foot-10, 224-pound Zander Ogletree. Figgins entered camp as the No. 1 guy and, by all accounts, will line up first when the Bulldogs face off against No. 7 Boise State on Sept. 3.

Figgins was able to go through the spring at his new position and just now is starting to feel comfortable calling himself a fullback.

“I’m getting more comfortable with the position, more comfortable with the others guys now,” Figgins said. “I’m still learning and working on getting my pad level down, staying low and knee bend, that’s the biggest thing.”

It’s certainly a formidable sight when Figgins is running around the end leading the 6-2, 240-pound Samuel on a power sweep.

“I think people will be a little intimidated by it,” Figgins said. “That’s 500 pounds moving right there. And Richard’s not slow at all. I have to speed up just to get going ahead of him because he’ll run up your back if you don’t. I think we’ll be able to move some people out of the way.”
    http://blogs.ajc.com/uga-sports-blog...-for-bulldogs/

vCash
    Jarvis Jones has been cleared of any wrongdoing in the investigation by the NCAA.

vCash
    ‘Tree’ laying wood

Speaking of Alec Ogletree, aka “Tree,” Olivadotti said his transition to inside linebacker from safety is going remarkably well.

“Tree can uncoil on some people, he really can,” Olivadotti said. “He has really good vision in zone coverage and recognizes routes real well and he can lay you out, quite frankly.”
    The top two players at the position – Isaiah Crowell (groin) and Richard Samuel (thigh) – were both sidelined with injuries.

McClendon said that’s no cause for concern.

“It dwindles down in camp. That’s normal, especially with [running backs],” McClendon said. “Those guys take a beating every practice in pads, it doesn’t matter if it’s just shoulder pads and helmets, shells or full pads, those guys are getting hit on. You want to minimize it when you can.”

As for Crowell, McClendon said he returned later in the practice and was able to participate in practice. Samuel remained on the sidelines with a strained leg muscle from yesterday’s full–contact work.
    http://blogs.ajc.com/uga-sports-blog...e-to-injuries/

vCash
    dp
    Last edited by Bravo95; 08-28-2011 at 06:27 PM.

vCash
    Ray Drew was hurt in a scooter accident. Cmr needs to tke over and ban the things.

vCash
    UGA has a shot at the nation’s No. 1-ranked running back.

Keith Marshall of Raleigh, N.C., said UGA will be one of his three official visits, along with Notre Dame and Florida, he announced via Twitter.

The 5-foot-11, 195-pounder will make his recruiting trip for UGA’s game against South Carolina on Sept. 10.

What about Isaiah Crowell at UGA? Wouldn’t that scare off any top RB prospect from even considering UGA? Surprisingly, the answer is “no” from Marshall, as Crowell’s presence is actually a positive. Marshall explained his perspective recently to UGASports/Rivals.com’s Kipp Adams:

“I do not want to be the only guy. I would love to play with another back because I do not want to take a beating. Especially in the SEC, if you want to have a long pro career, you want to split the carries with someone else. I saw Isaiah Crowell from last year and he is very good. I would like to play with a guy like that … [UGA running backs coach Bryan McClendon] has told me I will definitely have a chance to come in and play early, and he thinks me and Crowell can be like Ronnie Brown and Cadillac Williams for Georgia. I have never spoken to Crowell, but I am supposed to on my official visit.”
    http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2011...ogs_recruiting

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast