Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Georgia Bulldogs

I know there are some of you UGA fans out there, and I know we've had a rough two seasons but lets look at ways to improve the team so we can contend in the East in 2011.

First off, it starts with recruiting.
    Recruits to watch:

-The coaches have got the full court press on DT Jonathan Jenkins, 4* JUCO prospect out Gulf coast CC. He's currently a very soft commit to OK State, but he's sort of opened up his recruiting and really likes UGA. At 6'4" 340 lbs, he's a perfect fit at the NT position, and our coaches have let him know that. He could make a terrance cody-like impact for us next year.

- RB Isiah Crowell is Georgia Grown and is the top ranked RB in this class. The guy is fast, but powerful. He is deciding between Bama & UGA and could make a Lattimore-like impact for the Dawgs this year. He is set to make his announcement on National Signing Day.

- DE Ray Drew is also Georgia Grown and is ranked as the 3rd best DE in this class. He could also play right away, and CTG is selling that to him.

- TE Jay Rome is a all around TE that could challenge Orson Charles for the starting job.

- Xzavier Dickson is a very soft commit to Bama and is said to have flipped a coin to choose. Still could be snagged up by Mark Richt.

The most important three IMO are Drew, Crowell, and Jenkins. I'm tired of these running back by committee RBs that can't get the job done, yes I'm talking to you Ealey, King, Samuels. Crowell could be a stud. Next, DeAngelo Tyson please go take a long walk on a short pier. The guy literally gets pushed back 5 yards every single play. He isn't a NT now, and he will never be one. Jenkins could make a huge impact for us this year. Finally, we are most likely losing Houston and Drew could step in and help make up for the lost sacks.

----------------------------------------------

I'd like to see a new S&T coach. I'm tired of our players getting pounded up and down the field, and that all goes back to Strength and Conditioning. Richt fired the one the past year, but just hired one of his assistants. I'd love to get Bamas. Money talks.

If we get Jay Rome, I'd like to move Orson Charles to play purely WR. The guy is a talent, but just can't block to save his life. Charles has the speed of a WR and nice hands. He could be a solid #2 too T. King this year.

Any more suggestions? Anything less then 10 wins and I want Richt gone. I have NO faith that he can make a scheme worthy of a 10 win season anymore, and his days are numbered. I'm tired of hearing the same thing after every loss yet no changes.

vCash
    Need force on the interior d-line, I agree. Need a legit RB, agree with that also. I think Crowell comes to Athens but Ingram's early exit from Bama has me cautious. Hopefully Drew and Rome make that move as well. I think Brown and T. King can get the job done as the starting WRs but I wouldn't be opposed to Charles moving to TE. I never understood why they (or he, as in Bobo) just forget about him on offense for long stretches of time. Most of us would take 9 wins next season if Florida and Tech are included.

vCash
    I highly doubt Marlon Brown accounts to anything more then a blocking WR.. The guy was Mr. Football in Tennessee, but the problem is he played against absolutely NO talent. Just look at videos from HS on the kid, he is 2 feet taller then any other player and weighs more then every player on the defense.

Crowell, Jenkins, Rome, Drew, Dickson would all start from day one IMO. We need them.

vCash
    Marlon didn't see enough time on the field imo so I won't throw him out just yet. King is going to step up, no doubt about that. Let's be honest though: The problem was the off and def lines got pushed around all year. Aaron was under attack non-stop, but that's why I gained respect for him because he still had a better freshman season than any recent Bulldog QB I can remember. If Rome arrives, he could start at TE and they'll move Charles to WR. Then again, you know Richt loves to start/play his older players regardless of how talented the younger guys are. Tereshinski, Joe Cox, Caleb, etc. That's been one of the biggest reasons why the fanbase rips him. We (and Richt) can only hope Crowell commits and is as good as his rep.
    Last edited by Bravo95; 01-11-2011 at 12:19 PM.

vCash
    Frank Tarkington rips Richt:

If you haven’t heard what Fran Tarkenton had to say regarding Mark Richt last Friday on 680 The Fan, you probably should. The most famous former Georgia Bulldog (non-Herschel division) eviscerated the Bulldogs’ coach and strongly suggested the program needs a new leader.

Francis T. began boldly — “What has happened over the last week with Georgia has been the most disturbing time I have seen in a long time; you know, people don’t want to look at reality” — and didn’t pause for breath. (A partial transcript is available at SportsRadioInterviews.com.)

Richt’s all-is-well press briefing of Jan. 4 apparently set Tarkenton’s teeth to gnashing. Concerning the announcement that Richt would re-immerse himself in the finer points of football, Tarkenton said this:

“Holy cow! Yesterday, where Mark Richt says, ‘I have been freed from administrative duties to spend more time on football.’ Then I quote him, he said, ‘The moves give [me] more time to study the game of football and be an expert and be on the cutting edge.’ What has he been doing for nine years? I have never heard any college, high school, professional coach [say] that [he] was not able to spend enough time on football.”

Asked by host Christopher Rude if Rich might have been devoting too much time to academics or somesuch, Tarkenton said:

“No, it sounds like a cop-out! It sounds like, ‘I am not taking responsibility. I have other things.’ We hire people to be football coaches. We pay him and others millions of dollars to be football coaches, not to be administrators. He didn’t do a very good job there — we had 12 people arrested this year, including a top-ranked quarterback who was a top kid that is now going to play LSU [Zach Mettenberger], and that has been going on forever.

“[Richt] is a wonderful guy. He is a good Christian guy. He wants to be a missionary. He goes on missions. That is a wonderful thing. But do you know the religion of Nick Saban? Or Gus Malzahn? Or Chip Kelly playing for the national championship? I don’t think we care what their religion [is]. We hire them to be football coaches. If we are hiring religious instructors, let’s go to the Candler School of Theology over here in Decatur and get some of their people to come and coach our football team.”

Let the record note that Tarkenton is himself the son of a preacher. Which isn’t the same as being the son of a diplomat, and is evident throughout this diatribe. More Fran: “You’ve been there nine years [10, actually] and you say [you] haven’t had time to spend on football — if you don’t think that’s a problem, Georgia people, and [athletic director] Greg McGarity, if you don’t think the signs are there, my friend … Bad news does not get better with time.”

Regarding last week’s announcements that two top in-state prospects plan to sign with Alabama and Auburn, Tarkenton said:

” We’re going to lose the elite players this year. We haven’t in the past — we’ve gotten the elite player. We either didn’t choose right or we didn’t coach right, because we didn’t have success.

“Right now our program has had three years of regression, and I don’t see any way this thing is going to get out of the ditch. When I read comments like [Richt's] … we’re putting spin on everything. In the meantime Alabama and Auburn and Tennessee are working and kicking our butts and recruiting people and getting coaches that have spread offenses. I mean, can you imagine? We scored two field goals against Central Florida.”

The son of a preacher then offered a benediction: “I think Greg McGarity has got to look at this awfully hard, I think the signs are that we have a program that is in big trouble.”

And now you’re asking: How noteworthy is this? My answer: Very. It’s one thing for some newspaper guy (like this one) to carp about Richt, quite another for a most distinguished alum to sound the alarm. In the space of nine minutes, Sir Francis essentially said what more and more folks are thinking: That Georgia needs a new coach.

By Mark Bradley

vCash
    Brandon Boykin is coming back! So is Cordy Glenn! And so is Trinton Sturdivant! No suprise that Green is gone, but apparently Justin Houston is still deciding! So pray that Houston comes back Dawg fans!

Boykin posted this on twitter: Posted on his twitter: "Yes twit fam and DAWG fam its true... I will be returning to Athens for my senior year to win the SEC and the BIG ONE"

If we get Ray Drew, Pagan, and Jenkins then our defense next year will be STOUT!

I also saw on facebook, that Safety Jakar Hamilton is making the move from Safety to Corner. Good, because he is god awful at safety. Our secondary should look like:
    Boykin-Rambo-Ogletree-B.Smith -- Best one we've had in years, IMO.

Also,
    Junior LB Marcus Dowtin has been granted a release from his scholarship, and will be transferring out. When reached for comment by UGAsports.com, he offered no explanation other than that he was transferring, and wouldn't say if it had anything to do with his arrest in Maryland earlier this year.
    ^^ Gotta read between the lines on this one. Dowtin gets arrested in Maryland for a barfight in December, isn't allowed to play in the bowl game, and now a "transfer." I wonder if whats left on the roster has gotten the message yet.
    Last edited by Lou Holtz Lisp; 01-14-2011 at 04:26 PM.

vCash
    OK guys, just a little update to get some of you caught up on recruiting:

With 18 commits now, here are our main remaining targets for this class -

- Isaiah Crowell (4* RB, Carver-Columbus) - UGA vs. Bama. Seems like we have the lead though,.
    - Jay Rome (4* TE, Valdosta) - also a strong chance he ends up at Georgia
    - Ray Drew (4* DE, Thomasville) - between Auburn and Georgia, though UGA folk have felt good about him from the beginning
    - Jeoffrey Pagan (4* DE, Asheville, NC) - will choose between Georgia, Clemson and Alabama
    - Johnathan Jenkins (4* JUCO DT, Perkinston, MS) - decommitted from OK State, considering Georgia, Auburn and Florida (we've made a huge push for him)
    - Malcolm Mitchell (4* S, Valdosta) - gonna come down to Bama and Georgia for him.

Mitchell will make his announcement Thursday, along with Drew. Go Dawgs

vCash
    For what its worth, Drew just got bumped up to five-stars by Rivals after his last performance in the All-American game. The last few Bulldog recruiting classes have been lacking on defense but this team could be vicious in 2-3 years especially if Christian LeMay turns out to be the real deal under center.

vCash
    Jay Rome, the 6'5" 235lb 4* TE out of Valdosta (top-rated TE in the nation depending on who you ask), a member of the Rivals and ESPN 150, becomes the 20th commitment to UGA's 2011 class.

ESPN ranks him the #1 TE in the country and the #18 overall player in the country. Rivals also compares him to Antonio Gates! Nice!!!

vCash
    Malcolm Mitchell is deciding at 7:00 TONIGHT. That is 30 minutes, he is a playmaker. Between Bama, UGA & Auburn. Could be a very succesful day for UGA if we pick him up. Go DAWGS~!!!

vCash
    Mitchell is a DAWG!! Lets go get Jenkins, Crowell, and Rome and we got ourselves a class fellas!! GATA!!

vCash
    More recruiting news:

Suprisingly:
    the top prospect in Tennessee, #7 OT Antonio Richardson (4*, Nashville, TN) is on an official visit to Athens this weekend as well. I don't think most thought we were in it for him, but it looks like we may have made a late push. He would be a huge addition to our class.
    AND

Looks like we are now big time players for FL LB Kent Turene who visisted with us yesterday along with Crowell, Jenkins, and Harrow. We could be getting a commitment from Jenkins soon.

GATA.. Go DAWGS!!

vCash
    Happened a few days ago but Searels our O-Line coach is going to Texas

vCash
    If we don't get Crowell then I think Richt should be fired, he is the most important recruit Richt has ever had and he needs to put it all on the line to get him.

vCash
    ^ Well I think it'd be silly to fire Richt just because a 18 year old kid choose Bama over UGA. Crowell is a great recruit, but I don't put Richts' fait based alone on his decision. Personally, I think if we get one of Drew & Crowell, and add on Jenkins this is a outstanding class. Deffinately top 10, and with all 3 of them we are top 5..

I think Crowell is a UGA lean, and I think Ray Drew is a toss up 50-50 between UGA & AU.

GATA. GO DAWGS!!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast