Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 51
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Valencia, CA
    Posts
    3,780
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by cabernetluver View Post
    I read your post and just had to "refudiate" what you wrote. (I just had to write that, to point out an example of what makes her a nimrod). When asked about the posting of the word, she answered that it was just a typo. Now, before you do anything else, look at your keyboard where the "f" key is and where the "p" key is and you can see that makes no sense.

    Why the demonizing? Because she sets herself up to be demonized. She is a celebrity who specializes in attempting to demonize the left. Oh, and that Hopey Changey thing is working out well for me. See what I mean.

    She deserves to be demonized because she invites it.
    Wow. I'm sorry, but I don't think anyone ought be demonized, especially for their ideology. Disagreements, discussions, whatever are all well & good. What good does it do to demonize anyone? Whatever happened to tolerance, and the free exchange of ideas?
    "If [Republicans] were around when Columbus set sail, they must have been founding members of the Flat Earth Society." -- Pres. Barack Obama

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,185
    vCash
    1500
    Giffords was one of the members of Congress "targeted" by Sarah Palin for their vote on health care. An image posted on Palin's Facebook page featured crosshairs over the geographical districts of 20 members of Congress. By painting the district and not the face, Palin avoided breaking an actual law. The better question might be, is there really a difference?

    On Twitter, Palin linked to the page with this message: "Commonsense Conservatives & lovers of America: "Don't Retreat, Instead - RELOAD!" Pls see my Facebook page."

    So why demonize her? Because when one uses metaphors that promote shooting someone, and that person is in fact shot, and NO contrition is shown from the person for their language and actions, they have in fact, demonized themselves, and it might be more correct to write that she has not been demonized, instead all that is being done is pointing out how she demonized herself.
    Here is the question of the day, does anyone think that wealthy people should pay a lower percentage of their income to taxes than middle class people? Don't argue tax brackets, just a simple question. Do you think someone earning 46 million dollars should pay a lower percentage of their income than say someone earning sixty thousand?

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    65,362
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by DodgersFan28 View Post
    Wow. I'm sorry, but I don't think anyone ought be demonized, especially for their ideology. Disagreements, discussions, whatever are all well & good. What good does it do to demonize anyone? Whatever happened to tolerance, and the free exchange of ideas?
    I didnt know making veiled gun references towards individuals was considered an "ideology". That doesnt sound like limited government to me, that doesnt sound like personal freedom to me.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    19,669
    vCash
    1500
    IMO Palin deserves everything she gets. I've had it with her playing the victim everytime she shows her lack of knowledge, her own hypocrisy, or attempts at scaring people(i.e. death panels). She welcomes media attention, and should not get a pass.

    On the show, I watched snippets of it just to guage what it was like. Seemed like every other boring family-reality TV show to me. They're basically all the same, except this one had its obvious political undertones. I don't know what he future plans are, but I think hat being on a reality TV show would hurt your credibility.

    I just don't think Palin can complain about the media talking about her kids anymore(as long as its taseful), when has continued to put them in the national spotlight...most recently with this reality show.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Where the smog meets the shore
    Posts
    30,941
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    I still am not quite sure how this is politics. Sarah Palin will fade away if we just ignore her. This is proof of that but not much more.
    Like a whiny child in the corner.....just ignore her so she goes away.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Where the smog meets the shore
    Posts
    30,941
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by DodgersFan28 View Post
    Wow. I'm sorry, but I don't think anyone ought be demonized, especially for their ideology. Disagreements, discussions, whatever are all well & good. What good does it do to demonize anyone? Whatever happened to tolerance, and the free exchange of ideas?
    I disagree with most of her positions, but THAT is not what deserves demonizing....it's her incredible stupidity and and unearned position in national politics. She might be a great example of our people, but she is a piss poor political representative.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    21,584
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by cabernetluver View Post
    Giffords was one of the members of Congress "targeted" by Sarah Palin for their vote on health care. An image posted on Palin's Facebook page featured crosshairs over the geographical districts of 20 members of Congress. By painting the district and not the face, Palin avoided breaking an actual law. The better question might be, is there really a difference?

    On Twitter, Palin linked to the page with this message: "Commonsense Conservatives & lovers of America: "Don't Retreat, Instead - RELOAD!" Pls see my Facebook page."

    So why demonize her? Because when one uses metaphors that promote shooting someone, and that person is in fact shot, and NO contrition is shown from the person for their language and actions, they have in fact, demonized themselves, and it might be more correct to write that she has not been demonized, instead all that is being done is pointing out how she demonized herself.
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_r1AxIJszWS...00/cannon2.JPG

    No "reload" rhetoric, so not exactly 1:1 of course. I can't take credit for finding that either, it is making the rounds. Same with this next example:

    http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2008/0...e-bring-a-gun/

    I don't point to these examples to make the point that "both sides do it". But gun metaphors, and quasi-violent metaphors are used in politics all the time. There was an entire show called "crossfire". Every time an election rolls around there are "battleground states". Look at the caption on the map posted "behind enemy lines" a war metaphor.

    It can be differentiated from some of the stuff that Sarah Palin, and Sharon Angle have said, but I don't think in too meaningful of a way. I think the response would be to argue that the phrases used by Sarah Palin and Angle are more direct, and to the point. But I don't buy that that makes them any more "inciteful" or anything.

    eta: And, one last point. I think Sarah Palin had the right response to this shooting. If she came out and showed "contrition" then she opens herself for even more attacks. Her best bet is to just offer condolences and shutup for a little while until all the facts are known, and emotions calm down a bit so a more rational discussion can be had.
    Last edited by gcoll; 01-10-2011 at 02:20 PM.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,132
    vCash
    1470
    Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_r1AxIJszWS...00/cannon2.JPG

    No "reload" rhetoric, so not exactly 1:1 of course. I can't take credit for finding that either, it is making the rounds. Same with this next example:

    http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2008/0...e-bring-a-gun/

    I don't point to these examples to make the point that "both sides do it". But gun metaphors, and quasi-violent metaphors are used in politics all the time. There was an entire show called "crossfire". Every time an election rolls around there are "battleground states". Look at the caption on the map posted "behind enemy lines" a war metaphor.

    It can be differentiated from some of the stuff that Sarah Palin, and Sharon Angle have said, but I don't think in too meaningful of a way. I think the response would be to argue that the phrases used by Sarah Palin and Angle are more direct, and to the point. But I don't buy that that makes them any more "inciteful" or anything.

    eta: And, one last point. I think Sarah Palin had the right response to this shooting. If she came out and showed "contrition" then she opens herself for even more attacks. Her best bet is to just offer condolences and shutup for a little while until all the facts are known, and emotions calm down a bit so a more rational discussion can be had.
    I just don't have a problem with people being criticized for making tacky statements or gestures. Obama made a dumb comment about bringing a gun to a knife fight and the WSJ criticized him for it.

    The Target map (if I'm reading in correctly) seems to be targeting voters or states. Not specific people. I don't know if that was criticized when it originally came out. Today on the radio was the first I've heard of it but that seems harmless.

    Palin made a map with cross hairs on it directed at specific districts and specific people. One of those people got shot so the media jumped on it. But from what I heard on the radio today it looks like conservatives are rallying around her, like you would expect so I don't think she is in danger of losing her job at Fox. I don't think Palin influenced this guy personally. But I'm not going to feel sorry for her if she is criticized.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    65,362
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_r1AxIJszWS...00/cannon2.JPG

    No "reload" rhetoric, so not exactly 1:1 of course. I can't take credit for finding that either, it is making the rounds. Same with this next example:

    http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2008/0...e-bring-a-gun/

    I don't point to these examples to make the point that "both sides do it". But gun metaphors, and quasi-violent metaphors are used in politics all the time. There was an entire show called "crossfire". Every time an election rolls around there are "battleground states". Look at the caption on the map posted "behind enemy lines" a war metaphor.

    It can be differentiated from some of the stuff that Sarah Palin, and Sharon Angle have said, but I don't think in too meaningful of a way. I think the response would be to argue that the phrases used by Sarah Palin and Angle are more direct, and to the point. But I don't buy that that makes them any more "inciteful" or anything.

    eta: And, one last point. I think Sarah Palin had the right response to this shooting. If she came out and showed "contrition" then she opens herself for even more attacks. Her best bet is to just offer condolences and shutup for a little while until all the facts are known, and emotions calm down a bit so a more rational discussion can be had.
    All the gun and violence references are stupid and harmful. I dont know the full situation behind it, but i dont think it matters. The only reason i target Sarah Palin by mentioning her target system was because she actually mentioned the one who got.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,010
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_r1AxIJszWS...00/cannon2.JPG

    No "reload" rhetoric, so not exactly 1:1 of course. I can't take credit for finding that either, it is making the rounds. Same with this next example:

    http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2008/0...e-bring-a-gun/

    I don't point to these examples to make the point that "both sides do it". But gun metaphors, and quasi-violent metaphors are used in politics all the time. There was an entire show called "crossfire". Every time an election rolls around there are "battleground states". Look at the caption on the map posted "behind enemy lines" a war metaphor.

    It can be differentiated from some of the stuff that Sarah Palin, and Sharon Angle have said, but I don't think in too meaningful of a way. I think the response would be to argue that the phrases used by Sarah Palin and Angle are more direct, and to the point. But I don't buy that that makes them any more "inciteful" or anything.

    eta: And, one last point. I think Sarah Palin had the right response to this shooting. If she came out and showed "contrition" then she opens herself for even more attacks. Her best bet is to just offer condolences and shutup for a little while until all the facts are known, and emotions calm down a bit so a more rational discussion can be had.
    I don't mean to get too involved in this whole game, but there is a huge difference between states described as targets of a third "person" (the Democratic party) and specific people urged as targets, with further urging to "Reload."

    Bill is targeting Chicago voters with his next speech.
    We should target Alice McKean because of her vote.

    Those two things are nowhere near the same. And if anything, I erred on the side of being fair to Palin.

    Again, I'm not pinning any sort of blame on Palin for this tragedy. Her little map actually skirted the bounds of the law, for what that's worth, but legal is legal is legal. I hope she fries in the PR arena because this sort of rhetoric is indefensible and unbecoming of a national (or any) politician. Besides that, I guess I couldn't care less though.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    17,415
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by lamar2006 View Post
    this clown of a woman should not have her face near a television camera. Fox News should let her go. She already has all the money she will need now she needs to stay in Alaska and if she wants to travel she needs to go to Russia since its so close to her
    Please no...

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The North Pole
    Posts
    3,774
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    I disagree with most of her positions, but THAT is not what deserves demonizing....it's her incredible stupidity and and unearned position in national politics. She might be a great example of our people, but she is a piss poor political representative.
    Exactly. It one be one thing if she had any political accomplishments to lend legitimacy to her political "insights". But her claims to fame are being elected governer of Alaska and then re-signing well before she actually served the term because apparently it was too tough and running a campaign for Vice President in which she eventually lost after not knowing what the Vice President does when asked in a TV interview.

    What has she ever accomplished?

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    21,584
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by North Country View Post
    Exactly. It one be one thing if she had any political accomplishments to lend legitimacy to her political "insights". But her claims to fame are being elected governer of Alaska and then re-signing well before she actually served the term because apparently it was too tough and running a campaign for Vice President in which she eventually lost after not knowing what the Vice President does when asked in a TV interview.

    What has she ever accomplished?
    Not that much.

    But most of the people commenting on politics don't have any political accomplishments worthy of note.

    That can not explain the level of hatred directed at Palin. "She hasn't accomplished much besides being elected Governor and running for VP!"...that doesn't seem like that should anger people.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,010
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post
    Not that much.

    But most of the people commenting on politics don't have any political accomplishments worthy of note.

    That can not explain the level of hatred directed at Palin. "She hasn't accomplished much besides being elected Governor and running for VP!"...that doesn't seem like that should anger people.
    You're right, that anger is entirely irrational. And like I said in another thread, since her whole strategy is to play on the irrationality of voters, it's pretty funny when that same irrationality comes back to bite her.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The North Pole
    Posts
    3,774
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post
    Not that much.

    But most of the people commenting on politics don't have any political accomplishments worthy of note.

    That can not explain the level of hatred directed at Palin. "She hasn't accomplished much besides being elected Governor and running for VP!"...that doesn't seem like that should anger people.
    Like I originally said, I mostly dislike her because so much of her claims and rhetoric are flat out lies. And I posted a link to prove it. But it's also annoying that she gets off criticizing other politicans when here political career to date has been a joke.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •