Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    11,595
    vCash
    715

    UFC FIGHT NIGHT 39: Nelson vs. Nogueira

    Date: April 11, 2014
    Location: DU Arena in Abu Dhabi



    MAIN CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 2 p.m. ET)
    Roy Nelson vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
    Clay Guida vs. Tatsuya Kawajiri
    John Howard vs. Ryan LaFlare
    Beneil Dariush vs. Ramsey Nijem


    PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 11:50 a.m. ET)
    Daniel Omielanczuk vs. Jared Rosholt
    Johnny Bedford vs. Rani Yahya
    Thales Leites vs. Trevor Smith
    Chris Camozzi vs. Andrew Craig
    Jim Alers vs. Alan Omer



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    39,223
    vCash
    1500
    Interested in the main and co-main.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    32,786
    vCash
    1500
    I do not think the UFC should put on cards this light of big name talent. They are watering down their brand.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    15,057
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by SLY WILLIAMS View Post
    I do not think the UFC should put on cards this light of big name talent. They are watering down their brand.
    For a tv fight I don't think its that bad.

    But if were talking about watered down events its gonna get a lot worse and ufc knows it. Instead of offering a better product, there cutting there roster down, even jake shields got cut to save $. There also offering chump change $ to decently known fighters in an attempt to lower all fighters wages. Which is crazy because there already insanely underpaid.

    Ufc has clearly decided instead of a better product they will cut cost instead. Bad time to be a fighter for ufc.

    The monopolu ufc had over mma was great for the sport before. But now it will really hurt it since there product is getting played out and worse. Fans just won't accept the other mma organizations as a top mma promoter. And as were seeing now they just won't care about the sport.

    In marketing we call in the Michael jordan effect.
    Last edited by AddiX; 04-09-2014 at 11:50 PM.

    Sugar Ray Leonard whooping on Floyd Mayweather Sr.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    32,786
    vCash
    1500
    I'm not a UFC or MMA expert but I think I follow them at least as much as the average casual fan. I see a handful of names that are recognizable but nobody that looks like a threat to win a title anytime soon. Roy may be the most recognizable name while Nogs has had the best career but the main event is weak and the other fights would barely raise a interest for me as a fan.

    I did not know Jake Shields was cut by the UFC before I read your post. Strikeforce had some big names and entertaining fights. Maybe it would have been better for MMA for them to stay as a separate organization.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    St Thomas,Ontario
    Posts
    1,629
    vCash
    1250
    Main and Co are the only ones that interest me.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    23,289
    vCash
    1000
    Addix, and I, shockingly, agree. Basically the MMA world needs another orginization like Strikeforce, Affliction, etc. WSOF is too buddy-buddy. No where for these guys to go. UFC offers you the best deal, wich isn't even that high. This is combat spors, you need to be paid well as your window is insanely short, especially if you're a striker and/or get hit a lot.

    As for this card. I'm interested by a number of fights personally.


    SCR. You just serve 6 months in prison or something? Where the hell have you been?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    11,595
    vCash
    715
    MAIN CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 2 p.m. ET)
    Roy Nelson vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
    Clay Guida vs. Tatsuya Kawajiri
    John Howard vs. Ryan LaFlare
    Beneil Dariush vs. Ramsey Nijem


    PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 11:50 a.m. ET)
    Daniel Omielanczuk vs. Jared Rosholt
    Johnny Bedford vs. Rani Yahya
    Thales Leites vs. Trevor Smith
    Chris Camozzi vs. Andrew Craig
    Jim Alers vs. Alan Omer



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    32,786
    vCash
    1500
    Once Nogs started going backwards I figured he was in trouble. When guys backup Roy comes from left field winging those rights. When Roy is pushed backwards he does not have the same kind of room to wing those huge hooks. I like both fighters but I worry about both fighters health in the future. Both have taken a lot of punishment over the years.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    23,289
    vCash
    1000
    Quote Originally Posted by SLY WILLIAMS View Post
    Once Nogs started going backwards I figured he was in trouble. When guys backup Roy comes from left field winging those rights. When Roy is pushed backwards he does not have the same kind of room to wing those huge hooks. I like both fighters but I worry about both fighters health in the future. Both have taken a lot of punishment over the years.
    Nog's partially blind in his left eye. Nelson throws a powerful right hand.

    /fight

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    34,777
    vCash
    1255
    Man I remember 4-5 years ago I'd be incensed to miss any UFC card. I didn't even know this card was on until I saw tweets about Nog getting KO'd.

    These random Wednesday, Thursday, Friday cards are stupid. Wish they'd just keep em on Saturday...


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    23,289
    vCash
    1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadds The Gr8 View Post
    Man I remember 4-5 years ago I'd be incensed to miss any UFC card. I didn't even know this card was on until I saw tweets about Nog getting KO'd.

    These random Wednesday, Thursday, Friday cards are stupid. Wish they'd just keep em on Saturday...
    Wasn't UFC 112 on during the afternoon? They're in the middle east so time is completely different.. so this was supposed to be a Friday night show.

    There's too much UFC. Too many lackluster prospects. So many regional cards.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    34,777
    vCash
    1255
    Quote Originally Posted by BranWingss View Post
    Wasn't UFC 112 on during the afternoon? They're in the middle east so time is completely different.. so this was supposed to be a Friday night show.

    There's too much UFC. Too many lackluster prospects. So many regional cards.
    I think so but wasn't that still on a Saturday? I don't mind the times, but just keeping it on Saturdays would make it less confusing


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    39,223
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by AddiX View Post
    For a tv fight I don't think its that bad.

    But if were talking about watered down events its gonna get a lot worse and ufc knows it. Instead of offering a better product, there cutting there roster down, even jake shields got cut to save $. There also offering chump change $ to decently known fighters in an attempt to lower all fighters wages. Which is crazy because there already insanely underpaid.

    Ufc has clearly decided instead of a better product they will cut cost instead. Bad time to be a fighter for ufc.

    The monopolu ufc had over mma was great for the sport before. But now it will really hurt it since there product is getting played out and worse. Fans just won't accept the other mma organizations as a top mma promoter. And as were seeing now they just won't care about the sport.

    In marketing we call in the Michael jordan effect.
    They are also gonna slowly start losing potential fighters as pay is stagnant. Because something else is that sponsor pay has all but disappeared as well.

    I think it might also be what happens in wrestling. You have a fan base that trends to the younger crowd and as fans get older some fall off the wagon.

    Quote Originally Posted by SLY WILLIAMS View Post
    I'm not a UFC or MMA expert but I think I follow them at least as much as the average casual fan. I see a handful of names that are recognizable but nobody that looks like a threat to win a title anytime soon. Roy may be the most recognizable name while Nogs has had the best career but the main event is weak and the other fights would barely raise a interest for me as a fan.

    I did not know Jake Shields was cut by the UFC before I read your post. Strikeforce had some big names and entertaining fights. Maybe it would have been better for MMA for them to stay as a separate organization.
    Especially when you look back at Strikeforce they had a pretty solid stable of fighters. It gave fighters another legit option and fans another organization with some name recognition and legit fights.

    Quote Originally Posted by BranWingss View Post
    Addix, and I, shockingly, agree. Basically the MMA world needs another orginization like Strikeforce, Affliction, etc. WSOF is too buddy-buddy. No where for these guys to go. UFC offers you the best deal, wich isn't even that high. This is combat spors, you need to be paid well as your window is insanely short, especially if you're a striker and/or get hit a lot.

    As for this card. I'm interested by a number of fights personally.


    SCR. You just serve 6 months in prison or something? Where the hell have you been?
    I swear that I thought she was 18....

    Seriously though back in October my house burned down and the rental house where we had to stay while they rebuilt our home didn't have internet as it was out in Wrong Turn country.

    But yeah MMA is severely lacking another organization to go up against and bring out the best in the UFC. Because at the moment UFC has cornered the market and nows they are the only game in town. They have no reason to strive for excellence without any competitive threat.

    Bellator is the only thing out there right now and thats a scary thought.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    23,289
    vCash
    1000
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    They are also gonna slowly start losing potential fighters as pay is stagnant. Because something else is that sponsor pay has all but disappeared as well.

    I think it might also be what happens in wrestling. You have a fan base that trends to the younger crowd and as fans get older some fall off the wagon.



    Especially when you look back at Strikeforce they had a pretty solid stable of fighters. It gave fighters another legit option and fans another organization with some name recognition and legit fights.



    I swear that I thought she was 18....

    Seriously though back in October my house burned down and the rental house where we had to stay while they rebuilt our home didn't have internet as it was out in Wrong Turn country.

    But yeah MMA is severely lacking another organization to go up against and bring out the best in the UFC. Because at the moment UFC has cornered the market and nows they are the only game in town. They have no reason to strive for excellence without any competitive threat.

    Bellator is the only thing out there right now and thats a scary thought.
    Ah, hope that all went well. Been there, done that.

    Strikeforce had a core of Kennedy/Rockhold/Jacare, Lawler/Diaz/Tarrec/Daley/Woodley, Melendez/, etc, etc. All of those guys made more money than most UFC guys too. It was really good to see. NHL has all of the best players but there's 30 teams that bid each other up. UFC needs that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •