Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Thiago Silva in jail

This story is crazy:

Thiago Silva has charges reduced, but remains jailed without bond

Thiago Silva appeared in front of a Broward County (Fla.) judge on Friday morning, where he had two charges against him reduced.

Silva, however, will remain jailed without bond after Judge John Hurley determined the UFC light heavyweight remains a “legitimate concern” to his wife and others around him based on what “looks like ongoing domestic violence in the relationship.”

Hurley also cited the potential for Silva to be a flight risk to his native Brazil as a reason to not apply bond to the four charges against him, despite initially planning to set the combined bond at $2,500,100.

Silva had two counts of felony attempted murder reduced to aggravated assault with a firearm after Hurley ruled there was no probable cause on the attempted murder charges.

Those counts stemmed from a Thursday night altercation at Pablo Popovitch Mixed Martial Arts Academy in Oakland Park, Fla., where Silva’s estranged wife trains. There, police allege, Silva threatened his wife, Thaysa, with a gun, and told her that if Popovitch didn’t come out of the school, he would go inside and begin shooting. After Popovitch emerged, then went inside to call police, Silva fled to his home, where a four-hour standoff with a S.W.A.T. team ensued before he surrendered nonviolently, police said.

According to arrest and police documents read aloud by Hurley during Friday’s court proceedings, Silva and his wife separated in 2012. But on Jan. 30 of this year, the judge read, Thaysa Silva called 911 to report a domestic altercation. She told police that in an argument with Silva, he picked up a silver revolver, pushed her down, said he was going to kill her, put the gun in her mouth and held her down. Thaysa Silva obtained a temporary injunction against Thiago at that time, Hurley said.

On Wednesday, Thaysa again called 911 to report a separate incident with Thiago, and she gave police access to text messages he allegedly sent her that made claims he would hire someone to kill her and move his girlfriend into their home.

Things came to a head on Thursday, when, at 7:44 p.m. ET, police records state, Silva pulled up to Popovitch’s gym and began honking his horn continuously until Thaysa came outside. Thiago Silva, believed to be intoxicated, according to the police report read by Hurley, then pointed a gun at her. The police report states there were approximately 25 people inside the gym at the time of the incident.

After Popovitch came out and approached the driver’s side of Silva’s vehicle, Silva allegedly threatened him, as well, before he went inside, locked the door and called police.

Once officers arrived at Silva’s home, he came outside following the standoff – where the report says he was tasered. Officers reported he was “extremely intoxicated” and that he uttered he “did not know what was going on.”

Silva’s attorney, Scott Saul, argued with the court that the first two charges against his client of attempted murder were “classic aggravated assault,” and not attempted murder.

“He never got out of his car. He never fired a gun,” Saul argued in front of Hurley. “You’ve got two real rock-solid aggravated assault charges. What I think this is, is you’ve got a professional fighter and an (assumption) thinking he can kill, an overreaction based on what the man does for a living.”

Ultimately, Judge Hurley did say in court that Silva’s profession and size – arrest records show him as 6-foot-2, 220 pounds – played a factor in him believing that if he was set free on bond, his physical stature alone was a concern.

“The court is concerned this looks like ongoing domestic violence in the relationship,” Hurley said. “You’re an MMA fighter, and your size gives great concern, with or without a weapon, you could easily kill your wife. If you’re released from custody, the court is concerned you would approach your wife again and concerned you would bring great harm to her or kill her.”

The judge also cited a constitutional law in Silva’s native Brazil that prevents its citizens from facing extradition to the United States as reason to deny him bond as a potential flight risk. The prosecuting attorney argued that Silva “has no ties to the community and his family is in Brazil. Once he gets to Brazil, it’s over. They will not send him back to the United States.”

Frank Smith, appearing on behalf of Silva as his business attorney, said the fighter has an IRS garnishment placed on him right now and that Silva has no available money until his next scheduled fight. Silva is booked to face Ovince St. Preux at UFC 171 on March 15, and Smith said that the fighter could stand to make in the neighborhood of $140,000 if he won that fight, plus the potential for other bonuses on top of it.

“If he doesn’t fight in Dallas, he’s broke. He needs to be in this country and be in Dallas to go forward,” Smith said.

So far, the UFC’s only official statement on Silva came late Thursday: “This evening, we were made aware of a situation involving Thiago Silva. We are in the process of gathering the facts and have no further comment at this time.”

But on Friday morning, UFC President Dana White told TMZ Sports that Silva would never fight for the promotion again.

No new court date has been set for Silva, who also faces a count of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon and a count of resisting arrest without violence. The court proceedings were streamed live by South Florida’s SunSentinel.
    Here's a http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-8vF-BJ1zcD.../s1600/1.gifof Silva being taken into jail

and here's a news video.
    -----

vCash
    Do you smell something?

I smell something....

ROOOOOOOOIIIIDD RAGE!

Smh, what a coward...

vCash
    Was my favorite fighter, he is done now. I bet he will get between 10-20 years. He also has an "IMMIGRATION HOLD" on him also. So, he will never be aloud back into the US.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AddiX View Post
    Do you smell something?

I smell something....

ROOOOOOOOIIIIDD RAGE!

Smh, what a coward...
    i bet you wouldnt say that to his face lol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AddiX View Post
    Do you smell something?

I smell something....

ROOOOOOOOIIIIDD RAGE!

Smh, what a coward...
    Blaming it on roid rage would just be a lame excuse. It's obvious that Silva has got some serious mental issues

vCash
    Ex-UFC fighter Thiago Silva free after judge drops all charges in alleged domestic assault incident

Thiago Silva, the former UFC light heavyweight contender who was arrested in early-February and subsequently cut from the UFC, is once again a free man.

A Florida judge dropped all charges levied against Silva stemming from an alleged altercation with Silva's estranged wife, Thaysa Kamiji, and her partner, Pablo Popovitch, outside of Popovitch's mixed martial arts school in Fort Lauderdale, MMAFighting.com confirmed on Thursday following an initial report by TMZ.

Silva was arrested on February 6th following an armed standoff with members of the Broward County Sheriff's Office at his residence. According to a police report, Kamiji claimed that Silva had previously held a revolver inside her mouth, then later threatened to shoot up Popovitch's school before a standoff with a SWAT team ended with a taser being deployed on Silva "for officer safety reasons."

The 31-year-old ex-UFC fighter faced charges of aggravated assault and battery, sending threatening texts, and resisting arrest without violence as a result of the incident, however a representative from the Broward County State Attorney's Office stated to MMAFighting.com that the case was ultimately thrown out as "the victim (Kamiji) was uncooperative, and investigators determined that she has likely moved out of the country."

In the immediate aftermath of the incident, UFC President Dana White declared that Silva (16-3, 2 NC) "will never fight in the UFC again." It remains to be seen whether UFC officials will uphold White's words now that the Brazilian has been legally cleared of any wrongdoing.

Silva amassed a 7-3 record (with 2 no contests) over the course of his seven-year run inside the UFC. He exited the promotion holding a two-fight win streak over Rafael Cavalcante and Matt Hamill, the former of which earned Silva ‘Fight of the Night' and ‘Knockout of the Night' honors.

Silva was briefly linked to make his MMA return on August 29th at Fight Time 20, however that bout ultimately fell through and the light heavyweight has yet to compete since his initial arrest.
    Maybe with the charges dropped he can comeback to the UFC?
    -----

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Knockturnal View Post
    Bellator sounds like a good landing spot at this point in his career. I was a fan of his so it would be nice to see him fight again.
    Psalms 118:6 - The LORD is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me?

vCash
    Only if he was guilty.

vCash
    Didn't he do the same crap as war machine? Jeeeez Florida's criminal justice system is the worst.

vCash
    um no lol not even close, and war machine wasnt in florida anyway.

i always like the way he fought, bad stamina but always looking to trade punches.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tnewkirk View Post
    um no lol not even close, and war machine wasnt in florida anyway.

i always like the way he fought, bad stamina but always looking to trade punches.
    Didn't he beat her then put a gun in her mouth then brought her at gun point to the dojo?

He used to be my favorite fighter like 5 years ago. His back is shot tho.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by waveycrockett View Post
    Didn't he beat her then put a gun in her mouth then brought her at gun point to the dojo?

He used to be my favorite fighter like 5 years ago. His back is shot tho.
    cant read the article?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tnewkirk View Post
    cant read the article?
    I did and?

vCash
    I didn't think the UFC would bring him back so fast, good move by them. They pulled the trigger too quick on this whole situation, what they should have done was freeze his contract (like they did with Sonnen) and wait for all the evidence to come out.

In any case, Silva is back and he has a message for everyone:

Thiago Silva message to fans after news of return to UFC
    -----

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by waveycrockett View Post
    I did and?
    And those were accusations, not established facts. The charges have been dropped. The difference between this situation and the War Machine attempted murder(s) are significant, starting with one of them still being charged and following on with serious, permanently-damaging injuries in one case and not the other.

That said, most folks in a SWAT standoff don't end up with all charges dropped no matter what. It's hard to know what's going on here.

*edit -- Note that the circumstances under which the charges were dropped don't reflect well on Silva, at all, from the link earlier in this thread:

". . .a representative from the Broward County State Attorney's Office stated to MMAFighting.com that the case was ultimately thrown out as "the victim (Kamiji) was uncooperative, and investigators determined that she has likely moved out of the country."