Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Appstate2012 View Post
    Hoping we gets a number 1 wr(vincent jackson??Ties to rivera) and begins re-building a dominant defense. It all starts with that D-line getting pressure..
    That D line of ours isn't giving any pressure and I think it will impact the linebackers, with the offensive line blocking a weak D line, the LBs are more exposed and have to counter attack the incomming line rather than being the aggressors.

vCash
    Zimmer here!!!!!!!!!!

vCash
    wat

vCash
    didnt really know where to post this but i wanted to get an idea of how the panthers fan base views brandon lafell now that he is your number 2

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blitz42 View Post
    didnt really know where to post this but i wanted to get an idea of how the panthers fan base views brandon lafell now that he is your number 2
    Probably a new thread, but this is fine.

There are a few ways of answering this:
    1. It won't be a Roddy White/Julio Jones situation. Steve Smith is still indisputably the most talented WR on this team by a long shot, whereas I see White and Jones as being roughly equals.
    2. He'll get the job done. Basically, all he has to do is make enough plays to demand some attention from safeties so they can't all cheat over to Smith's side of the field. As such, I think he'll see a lot of targets early in the year.
    3. His chemistry with Newton has gotten better during the off-season, which can only mean good things for LaFell's production.
    4. He's "only" a possession receiver (he doesn't possess elite top-end speed), but he's made some absolutely amazing catches in his short career. That's enough for him to be a go-to guy.
    5. He and Olsen will probably have similar receiving numbers.
    6. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if he shared time with Gettis and Murphy as the season goes on.
    7. The team didn't make a play for any of the big-name veterans who were available this year -- Johnson, Owens, Moss, Burress, etc. If they were truly worried about LaFell's ability to be productive, they would have (as evidenced by dumping McClain and picking up Dwan Edwards).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by N.E.PanthersFan View Post
    Probably a new thread, but this is fine.

There are a few ways of answering this:
    1. It won't be a Roddy White/Julio Jones situation. Steve Smith is still indisputably the most talented WR on this team by a long shot, whereas I see White and Jones as being roughly equals.
    2. He'll get the job done. Basically, all he has to do is make enough plays to demand some attention from safeties so they can't all cheat over to Smith's side of the field. As such, I think he'll see a lot of targets early in the year.
    3. His chemistry with Newton has gotten better during the off-season, which can only mean good things for LaFell's production.
    4. He's "only" a possession receiver (he doesn't possess elite top-end speed), but he's made some absolutely amazing catches in his short career. That's enough for him to be a go-to guy.
    5. He and Olsen will probably have similar receiving numbers.
    6. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if he shared time with Gettis and Murphy as the season goes on.
    7. The team didn't make a play for any of the big-name veterans who were available this year -- Johnson, Owens, Moss, Burress, etc. If they were truly worried about LaFell's ability to be productive, they would have (as evidenced by dumping McClain and picking up Dwan Edwards).
    Thanks for the response. Last year, Legedu Naanee and LaFell combined for 80 catches, 1,080 yards and four touchdowns while rotating at the number 2 spot. Would it be fair to assume that this production would be up for LaFell to take. Your point number 5 is also interesting but I would think that with Shockey out of the picture Olsen would be getting the combine production for himself.

vCash
    Thanks for the response. Last year, Legedu Naanee and LaFell combined for 80 catches, 1,080 yards and four touchdowns while rotating at the number 2 spot. Would it be fair to assume that this production would be up for LaFell to take. Your point number 5 is also interesting but I would think that with Shockey out of the picture Olsen would be getting the combine production for himself.
    LaFell also played as the 3rd WR when Naanee was at WR2, so I don't think he'll have 80/1080, but I think 4 TDs is reasonable. LaFell will probably end up with 60ish catches for 800 or so yards. I wouldn't be surprised if Olsen also ends up with 60ish catches and 800 or so yards, honestly.

You'll also see some of the other WRs contributing -- Murphy, Edwards, and Pilares -- as well as Barnidge (the backup TE) and the RBs. Looking at the receiving stats from last year, it's obvious that we like to spread the ball around, and I don't see that changing this year.

vCash
    I'm expecting LaFell to be a red-zone threat this year. My expectation for him (assuming Smith is healthy and has typical elite production for the full season) is 55 750 yards 8 TDs. My reasoning for this is that I'm expecting the staff to call run plays more than they did last season. I'd be almost certain to expect Olsen to be our second leading receiver, but you never know, Barnidge is a quick TE and shown flashes of being a good receiving threat, he could emerge as a playmaker.

vCash
    I expect Tolbert to pickup some of the production that Shockey gave us last year. We had some sets last year where one of the TEs would lineup in the FB position and they seem to be pretty high on seeing what Barnidge can do with a somewhat expanded role. I expect Olsen and LaFell to both be around 800yd receiving, but I feel that Olsen could push 10 TDs this season.

vCash
    I guess we can start using this thread again. Kind of a round 2. I'll kick it off with this, not really a vote of confidence for the offensive staff by De:

After breaking Jonathan Stewart's single-game franchise record for rushing yards, DeAngelo Williams said he's "happy to be here" in Carolina.
    Asked what was different about Sunday's game, Williams said the Panthers "actually called runs." It was an encouraging day for the ground attack, as the offensive line finally opened gaping holes -- albeit against the league's worst run defense. The next Panthers GM will decide whether Williams is worthy of his $5.25 million salary for 2013.
    -roto

vCash
    Panthers supposedly interviewed Hue Jackson and Pat Shurmur today for the OC vacancy.

vCash
    Not too excited about either.

vCash
    Jackson is my favorite candidate that's actively being discussed. That being said he's not that impressive to me. I won't be completely pissed if Shula gets it over what we're seeing. I really don't want someone like Shurmur who has a way different scheme.

vCash
    Panthers hire Al Holcomb as LBs coach to round out the staff (for now).

vCash
    I posted in the wrong forum originally! Sorry guys.
    Last edited by Mauer.400; 03-27-2013 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Wrong Forum

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789