Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablonovi View Post
    Hey "STALKER" bagwell (N.B. I promise to NEVER use that word again; but your story is too funny).
    Amazing stories. You beat up on PHIL??? Wow.

"He was tough as hell, dirty, smart, and sly." Yeah, that's exactly my mind's-eye picture of Phil.

btw, why did they, from the get, "spot" you? Do you really look and are you built like an NBA-type player?
    Me, on the other hand? Hah! On a really special day, when I'd feel like I was really "springy", my best jump would have me BARELY touching the bottom of the NET. TRUE. I have like "negative" vertical leap; and am definitely on the short side for being such a bball fan/player.
    I had two bodies, the 6' 8" kid with all the weight in his leg muscles - 200 lbs at age 20, and later against Phil 6' 8" 235 honed in the gym. But I would never say an NBA body, not by todays standards for sure - maybe 1953.

Now? Forget it, lucky to be able to walk now...
    I am not a con artist! I am a businessman! I have a big brain and I'm good at making deals! People are just jealous of my BIG BRAIN! BAD!

Guess who? The future X-Presdent...

Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    I had two bodies, the 6' 8" kid with all the weight in his leg muscles - 200 lbs at age 20, and later against Phil 6' 8" 235 honed in the gym. But I would never say an NBA body, not by todays standards for sure - maybe 1953.

Now? Forget it, lucky to be able to walk now...
    Hey bagwell,
    Geez, you were one fine specimen back then (compared to everybody EXCEPT NBA players of the last 60 years as you say). It saddens me that you have been reduced to "lucky to be able to walk now".

I guess, seeing as this thread hasn't been doing much for weeks, we don't really have to be too concerned about going off the OP, right? Cause, your body (then) reminds me of a funny story way back then in my running "career".

My best running buddy was built like that. He had exquisitely chiseled legs; at least 6ft 4. He could beat me at 10K WITHOUT TRAINING! We used to run, heavy-distance over tons of hills; but his one weak spot was between his ears - wouldn't train more than a week or two, then take twice that long off!

So, we signed up for a marathon (26.21875 miles); and started running together (at least that was our stated plan). But, not long after the start, he took off - just flew away from me. About an hour later, I caught up with him; I didn't speed up; he had already hit the "wall" in the first quarter of the race. I had a great race; he didn't finish.

But the point of this-here story of mine, is that we got together the next day, and this is what he told me,
    "Pablo, I figured out what my problem is, ... it's my legs!" I just screamed. If I had had legs like his world-class legs; then my world-class intensity training (minimum 2.5 hours a day on tough hills; my "short" runs were 20-milers!) would have resulted in winning some races, making some serious money ... i.e., fame and fortune! Too funny!

Just joined this forum and love these type of topics. I am taking a different approach - I am naming two team, one up until the late 90s, the other from 2000 on. I stopped watching for a few years but loved the historical facts when I was watching Jordan dominate and have just come back to the game. I am naming

Magic
    Jordan
    Pippen
    Malone
    Russell

Vs.

Nash
    Kobe
    LeBron
    Duncan
    Shaq

Pippen goes in over Bird to defend LeBron.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegemiteman View Post
    Just joined this forum and love these type of topics. I am taking a different approach - I am naming two team, one up until the late 90s, the other from 2000 on. I stopped watching for a few years but loved the historical facts when I was watching Jordan dominate and have just come back to the game. I am naming

Magic
    Jordan
    Pippen
    Malone
    Russell

Vs.

Nash
    Kobe
    LeBron
    Duncan
    Shaq

Pippen goes in over Bird to defend LeBron.
    Hey "man with hats from 'down under'",
    Welcome to PSD.
    Take this as a compliment (it's probably meant as one):
    Not a bad first post at all!

Yours,
    Who can it be now?

Isiah Thomas
    MJ
    Larry Bird
    Rodman
    Kareem

What Would be the BEST Starting 5 ever?

Stockton
    Jordan
    Lebron
    Duncan
    Olajuwon

7. 08-08-2015, 01:07 PM

Magic/Stockton/Big O
    MJ/Kobe
    Bird/Pippen
    Duncan/KG
    Kareem/Wilt/Shaq

Magic, jordan, lebron, bird, russell.

It's pretty funny most of these teams are dominated by scorers.

At this level I want all around players, ones that won't throw a nutty if they only score 7 every now and then.
    I am not a con artist! I am a businessman! I have a big brain and I'm good at making deals! People are just jealous of my BIG BRAIN! BAD!

I'd go:
    Magic
    MJ
    LBJames
    Duncan
    Olajuwon

I think the hardest was Duncan over KG because a young KG was so athletic and could play the post and perimeter.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NJBASEBALL22 View Post
    I'd go:
    Magic
    MJ
    LBJames
    Duncan
    Olajuwon

I think the hardest was Duncan over KG because a young KG was so athletic and could play the post and perimeter.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Pretty much. Duncan, Hakeem, and Magic could all live with scoring variability. Magic was a meh defender, but the other 4 were all great. My only fear is that Jordan and LBJ might clash over time. Could be that Bird might be better than LBJ but you're taking a big step back on D.

The other way to do it is add 3 players, since most teams play 8 guys a lot more than 9-12.

Glove, Bird, KG.

I'll take that over any other combo.

Russell vs Jabbar vs Olajuwon vs Shaq
    Havlicek vs Cowens vs Bird vs K Malone vs Duncan vs Garnett vs Lebron vs Durant
    Robertson vs Pistol Pete vs. Magic vs Jordan vs Stockton vs Bryant vs Nash vs Curry

Russell & Shaq
    Bird & Duncan
    K Malone & Lebron
    Jordan & Bryant
    Magic & Curry

Seven:
    Shaq
    Duncan
    Lebron
    Jordan
    Magic
    6th Bird
    7th Hakeem
    Last edited by NO Flash; 03-08-2018 at 11:07 AM.

just for fun again, I'm not going to use the best team out there but figured what would be a great 4 team mini tournament thing with some all time greats playing with and against each other. Not necessarily the top 4 in their position, just some interesting match ups.

Team A:
    PG- Magic Johnson
    SG- George Gervin
    SF- Dominique Wilkins
    PF- Dennis Rodman
    C- Wilt Chamberlain

Team B:
    PG- Gary Payton
    SG- Michael Jordan
    SF- Scottie Pippen
    PF- Charles Barkley
    C- Hakeem Olajuwon

Team C:
    PG- John Stockton
    SG- Sidney Moncrief
    SF- Larry Bird
    PF- Tim Duncan
    C- Bill Russell

Team D:
    PG- Jerry West
    SG- Kobe Bryant
    SF- Julius Erving
    PF- Kevin Garnett
    C- Shaquille O'Neal

Obviously Kareem, Oscar etc etc should have been in one of those teams if I'd use the top 4.

Not sure who wins with these teams but it should be quite close and some interesting matchups involved

As for the best starting 5 ever, assuming we want a balanced 5 and chemistry issues I'd go for something like this: Next to the name I'll put where I think these players are or should be ranked in their position.

PG- Jerry West (top 4 - Magic, Stockton and Oscar the other three)
    SG- Michael Jordan (top 1)
    SF- Larry Bird (top 1)
    PF- Kevin Garnett (top 5- Duncan, McHale, Barkley and Karl Malone the rest)
    C- Wilt Chamerlain (top 3 I guess - Kareem for sure, then it's arguable between Shaq, Hakeem, Russell etc but I think Wilt should be considered the best or second best ever the more I dig into his playing career).

Magic
    Jordan
    Lebron
    Duncan
    Russell

I think that is the best you can do, accounting for talent, roles, and playing in any era. The only major decisions I had was Oscar or Curry for Magic or Wilt or Hakeem for Russell. Ultimately I believe that magic and Russell can switch a lot better, allowing for that top five to play in any era.

NYKalltheway - an interesting set of teams except that Team C I think is significantly undermaned compared to those other teams. Stockton and Moncrief? Not only is that the smallest pair of guards, its also the worst at scoring, the least athletic, and **** for championships. I love Duncan/Russell obviously looking at my top five. But they got not scorers in team C and in basketball (as much as I'm a defensive guy in everything) great offense > great defenses. Team C's scorers are Bird, Duncan, Moncrief? nice... if you we aren't going against Shaq, Kobe, west, Erving, Garnett... who are all better scorers than moncrief and at least as good as Duncan. Or Jordan, Barkley, and Hakeem. (the best team imo), or Gervin, Magic, Wilt, and Wilkins. I mean C has **** for firepower right?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast