Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Oregon just picked up a commitment from Tra Carson, who is a running back. He's from Texarkana, TX, which is the same place LaMichael is from. He's currently a 3 star prospect but his numbers are massive and he's a big back so I imagine his stock will rise. Good pickup, and welcome to the Ducks!
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bradyistheman12 View Post
    Oregonlive/Ken Goe
    Great news. Tuinei is one of our best blocking wide receivers and someone that Thomas has a solid rapport with.
    That's huge...

Tuinei seemed to become Thomas' safety blanket a lot earlier in the season, and he gives us back some size to the WR corp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by haggis View Post
    That's huge...

Tuinei seemed to become Thomas' safety blanket a lot earlier in the season, and he gives us back some size to the WR corp.
    Agreed, Tuinei is very underrated in my opinion. He gives us an elite edge blocker, and a big target that gives Thomas an extra-bailout option that gives confidence to the quarterback. When Tuinei got injured in the Cal game it clearly effected Thomas, I think that may have had been some of the reason for Thomas's struggles down the stretch. This is one good thing about having the long break.

vCash
    Still don't understand why it seems so many people are picking Auburn. Yeah, they won close games and came back in the second half, but people are forgetting that Oregon dominates the second-half.

Only way Auburn has a chance in the game is if they're winning by at least one touchdown at half.

"King Felix has hurled more mega quality starts since 2010 than 14 entire MLB teams."
    http://dynamik-farr.deviantart.com/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Boozerguy47 View Post
    Still don't understand why it seems so many people are picking Auburn. Yeah, they won close games and came back in the second half, but people are forgetting that Oregon dominates the second-half.

Only way Auburn has a chance in the game is if they're winning by at least one touchdown at half.
    People see Cam Newton and jump to the conclusion that little Oregon couldn't possibly match-up with him or slow him down. Some people forget that football is a team sport, not a one-man game, and Oregon has the better overall team in my opinion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bradyistheman12 View Post
    People see Cam Newton and jump to the conclusion that little Oregon couldn't possibly match-up with him or slow him down. Some people forget that football is a team sport, not a one-man game, and Oregon has the better overall team in my opinion.
    Here are some reasons why Auburn is getting so much attention.

1. Cam Newton has all the Heisman hype right now.

2. East Coast Bias always is against any team in the west coast that isn't USC

3. Analysts are swinging on Auburn's nutsack because they are in the SEC so that makes them special or something........

Honestly this game is going to be won in the trenches imo. whomever can get constant pressure from their defensive line is going to win this game. Like you said Brady it is a team game & there is no better emphasis of a better team than Oregon has demonstrated this season from Defense special teams & offense.

It is always good to be big & strong but like the old saying goes "Speed Kills"
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuckus View Post
    You can't spell Worley without W.

vCash
    Chip wins COY!!!!!

EUGENE, Ore. -- Oregon athletic officials were so convinced that Chip Kelly was destined to be coach of the Ducks they offered him the job before it came open.

Smart move.

In just his second season leading Oregon, Kelly is taking the second-ranked Ducks to the national championship game on Jan. 10 against No. 1 Auburn -- and for that he was voted AP Coach of the Year on Tuesday.

Kelly received 24 of 55 votes to beat out his Tostitos BCS National Championship Game counterpart, Gene Chizik of Auburn, who had 17 votes.

Stanford's Jim Harbaugh was third with five votes, TCU's Gary Patterson, last year's winner, and Mark Dantonio of Michigan State each received three votes. Nevada's Chris Ault, Oklahoma State's Mike Gundy and Mike Haywood, who led Miami, Ohio, to a Mid-American Conference championship before taking the top job at Pittsburgh last week, each received a vote.

Kelly has made a rapid rise from an FCS program coordinator in New England to leading the Pac-10's new powerhouse program to within a victory of its first national championship.

Mike Bellotti, Oregon's longtime head coach through the 2008 season, hired Kelly away from New Hampshire to run the Ducks offense in 2007. He installed an up-tempo, spread-option attack that has been growing more potent ever since.

It didn't take long for it to become clear that Bellotti had hired his heir apparent. When Bellotti was tapped to take over as the school's athletic director, Oregon announced in December 2008 -- as the Ducks prepared for the Holiday Bowl -- that Bellotti would become full-time AD at some point and Kelly was the head-coach in waiting.

That spring, Bellotti made it official and Kelly took over the Ducks.

In his first season as head coach, Kelly led the Ducks to a 10-3 record and the Pac-10 championship, tailoring his explosive offense to the dual talents of quarterback Jeremiah Masoli and weathering the storm of negative publicity brought about when star running back LeGarrette Blount punched a Boise State player after an opening game loss.

Oregon regrouped and went on to the Rose Bowl for the first time since New Year's 1995.

Kelly was met by more turbulence this past spring when both Masoli and running back LaMichael James got into trouble.

After Masoli pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge tied to the theft of a campus fraternity house, Kelly suspended him for the season. The coach later won praise for dismissing Masoli -- considered to be a preseason Heisman Trophy hopeful -- when he was caught with marijuana in his car.

With Masoli gone, Kelly developed sophomore Darron Thomas into not just a replacement, but an upgrade.

James was suspended for the opener after pleading guilty to misdemeanor harassment for an altercation with his ex-girlfriend -- but Kelly maintained that James was both honest and contrite about what had transpired.

Just as he had after Blount and the punch, Kelly had his team focused on moving forward in fall camp. The ability to reign in his team and shut out distractions has become one of his trademarks.

This season's Ducks have fully bought into Kelly's "Win The Day" philosophy. The motto is the last thing the players see above them as they emerge from the tunnel onto the field at Autzen Stadium. The acronym "WTD" graces the four corners of the stadium. And it will be written on the team's helmets in the national championship game.

Oregon reached No. 1 in the nation for the first time in school history and Kelly has become college football's genius du jour. While plenty of teams are pushing the pace at which they play offensively, nobody does it as well and as quickly as the Ducks.

"Our vision is we want to play fast. We want to play hard. We want to finish," he said.

The Ducks led the nation in scoring during the regular season with 49.3 points per game. They were second in total offense with an average of 537.50 yards a game.

Kelly was named the Pac-10 Coach of the Year and won the Eddie Robinson coach of the year award from the Football Writers Association of America.

Kelly, 47, has a gruff exterior in those drive-by halftime interviews on television. A native of Manchester, N.H., his wry and dry wit rarely makes catchy sound bites. At times it seems as if he fell right off the set of one of those Ben Affleck movies based in the Boston area.

He isn't much for talking about himself or deep analysis.

Asked recently what reaching the national championship game meant to him personally, just a few years removed from his first big break, Kelly wasn't much for being reflective.

"I never really think of it that way," he said. "I have a job. I love my job. I love to get up every morning and do it."
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5943362

CHIP IS THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vCash
    Chip deserves it, congrats!

vCash
    Damn I was surprised he got it to be honest.I thought they were going to try & snub him & give it to Gene Chizik.

Well deserved award gratz fellas
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuckus View Post
    You can't spell Worley without W.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Infamous916 View Post
    Damn I was surprised he got it to be honest.I thought they were going to try & snub him & give it to Gene Chizik.

Well deserved award gratz fellas
    I would have flipped ****. I thought Harbaugh was more deserving than Chizik, at least he didn't pay his players

vCash
    One thing that is funny is there are like 6 different Coach of the Year awards, at least Chip's winning the big ones though.

vCash
    There won't be a defensive tackle under the tree for you tomorrow, but chances are that one will show in January. I still expect Mo Latu, Danny Shelton and/or Kevin McReynolds, or another DT to wind up signing with the Ducks the first week in February. The first two have visited and McReynolds will be in Eugene with great fanfare on Janaury 14th. (The Ducks open Matt Court on the 15th by the way.)

One rumor on Latu is that he may be JC bound. We'll see. He clearly could help the Ducks if he is in fact eligible and comes to Oregon. If Oregon's forced to back off then Shelton and McReynolds become a huge priority of course, and Oregon may move an offensive player over as well. Definitely interesting to watch this play out.

Oregon's still recruiting Christian Heyward as well but I'd make him a longer shot than the first three.

Musings as I shop for gifts these days:

• Neuheisel fired his defensive coordinator. Shouldn't that make McReynolds wonder about the stability of the program and the staff in general? Note to every recruit in the nation. Head coaches generally start letting go of assistant coaches to keep themselves off the hotseat. 90% of the time its just a matter of time before they are the year or so after. (See: Dan Hawkins, Ty Willingham, Stanford's last coach, Dennis Erickson, and on, and on, and on...) Neuheisel is fine today, but won't be next year when they go 5-7 again. He'll be on the hot seat and Owa and anyone else joining him will be playing for a new staff.

I believe anyway.

• The entire world is picking Auburn and that momentum is snowballing by the day. I love that because it means nothing.

• Oregon needs to win the turnover battle early and force Newton to throw the ball." I keep hearing that, and its true.

• Watch for Auburn to try to take advantage of Cliff Harris' desire to make a big play early. The stop and go route on Harris. Gonna be a feature in that offense where they fake the dive play, he steps back and the receiver takes off. As Harris jumps the fake route, Harris gets "Crinered" for a big play.

I've heard Harris and Coach Neal have been working on that the past few weeks. Let's hope it sticks. The Ducks don't need heroes, they need solid defensive play that forces Auburn to make a lot of plays to score.

• Health. Oregon's getting it back and that's great. Tuinei, Jackson Rice and LaMichael James will all be at full strength it seems for the game. Oregon needs them all.
    Bob Rickert

Can't wait to see some defensive tackles in our recruiting class. Coach Azz will do an incredible job with whoever we get, and hopefully Ricky Heimuli doesn't take his Mormon mission after the year.

vCash
    EUGENE -- Oregon running back LaMichael James has been asked several times if he will consider entering the NFL Draft after this season. Chances are he'll be asked several more times before the No. 2 Ducks face No. 1 Auburn in the Bowl Championship Series title game Jan. 10 in Glendale, Ariz.

His answers so far have been similar to the one he gave after Wednesday's practice at the Moshofsky Center: "Of course I want to be a part of this team next year and the season after that," James said. "I like being here."

Notice he didn't say he is returning or that he is leaving. In fact, he didn't say much of anything at all.

No rush. James has time. The deadline for underclassmen to declare for the NFL Draft is Jan. 15, five days after the BCS title game. Come then, win or lose, James may realize that it's time to go pro because he might not have much more to accomplish in Eugene.

In two seasons, the 5-foot-9, 185-pound James, a third-year sophomore, has already put together arguably the most impressive career for a running back in Oregon history, gaining 3,228 yards with 35 rushing touchdowns. He needs 69 yards to break Oregon's all-time career rushing mark of 3,296 held by Derek Loville (1986-89).

"I want to be the best I can be," James said.

He may already be there, at least at the college level.

Oregon has produced 15 running backs who have played in the NFL. Ducks running backs coach Gary Campbell coached all but four in his 28 years with the Ducks and has high praise for James in particular.

"I never really sat down and thought about it," Campbell said, "but I think he's probably the best back that I've had there."

Campbell has coached five who played in the NFL in the past 10 years. Still active are Carolina's Jonathan Stewart, Tampa Bay rookie LeGarrette Blount and Detroit's nine-year veteran Maurice Morris.

Reuben Droughns rushed for 3,602 yards and 19 touchdowns during his eight-year career with four teams from 2001 to 2008. Onterrio Smith spent two seasons in the league (2003-04). Each brought different strengths. Droughns and Smith broke tackles with tree trunks for legs. Morris was shifty. Stewart used a rare blend of power and speed. Jeremiah Johnson, on injured reserve the past two seasons with Houston, had amazing field vision and change of direction abilities.

James, Campbell said, encompasses all those traits other than size but still manages to pack a wallop.

"He's a powerful back," Campbell said. "He has great cutting ability. He has great stop-and-go ability. He's a guy that can get out of trouble. He can take a hit and maintain his balance."

Campbell said most running backs typically have a few flaws. Campbell sees no real flaw in James' game and said he even has done a good job as a blocker.

"For his size, he's probably our best protector," Campbell said. "He's really a jack of all trades."

But what separates James from the pack -- literally as well as figuratively -- is his sprinter speed. He ran the 100 meters for Oregon's track team last spring and finished fifth in the Pac-10 with a time of 10.72 seconds. It's why he averages more than six yards per carry. It's why he scores every 14.6 carries. It's the reason he is the only running back ranked in the school's top 10 rushers to average more than 100 yards per game (134.5)

Many running backs are fast but few sprinters have the ability to play running back.

"It is kind of unique," Oregon coach Chip Kelly said. "Some guys have the ability to make somebody miss but they can't accelerate and run away. He can do that and there's not a lot of guys who can do that."

James said Campbell's praise is meaningful considering how long he's been at Oregon and the players he's coached.

"It means a lot. Coach Campbell has been here 75 years..." James said, pausing to laugh, "so he's coached a lot of different running backs and he's had all kinds so it really is an honor. I really love coach Campbell. I like playing for him."

But is that enough for James to return? What would be?

James finished third in the Heisman Trophy voting. Should he return next season, he could be the favorite.

But that prospect wasn't enough to lure Jonathan Stewart back for his senior season in 2007. He left and went No. 13 overall to Carolina and received a $14 million contract over five seasons.

James said he enjoys the excitement of college football over the NFL, which he said he doesn't watch.

"It's boring," he said. "Everybody is so good they are always getting tackled. You never see anything exciting because everyone is so good."

He might not watch the NFL but he plans to plan in it someday.

Rob Rang, a senior analyst for NFLDraftScout.com, said if James came out after this season, he could be picked in the second or third round, primarily because of his speed.

"Obviously he's a dynamic player," Rang said. "But size is obviously a huge concern."

Given James' lack of ideal size, he is likely to be a platoon player, Rang said, adding that James couldn't do much to raise his stock by returning for another season.

"Just the fact that he plays the running back position and has two solid years of play I would think he has to be considering it strongly," Rang said.

While size might be an issue in the NFL, Campbell said James' stature has only accentuated his speed in college.

"The fact that he is so small and can hide a little bit and is so hard to find and if you can't track him from a distance he'll avoid you because he'll get on you so quick," Campbell said. "And he'll be gone because he has great lateral movement. That's what makes him so special that he has that escapeability in such a small, little area."

After Jan. 10, James' next escape could be out of Eugene for good.
    Oregonlive

vCash
    HE'S BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hell yes

vCash
    BITM12-
    You think this means Seastrunk is going to transfer? With LMJ and Huff (unless they move Huff to WR?) slated to get most of the carries next year, do you think Lache leaves?

Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast