Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 15 of 67 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bradyistheman12 View Post
    Anyone else thrilled that we showed a lot of I-Formation in the scrimmage? I think if we develop this part of our offense, we will be a lot more proficient in the red-zone against elite defensive teams.
    I had about a 3 hour talk with my buddy after the Auburn game that we needed to install some type of power formation. We used it sparingly with Blount with effectiveness.

Do you think it could have been a personnel decision last year? We weren't really equipped with any backs that can pound the ball up the middle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by haggis View Post
    I had about a 3 hour talk with my buddy after the Auburn game that we needed to install some type of power formation. We used it sparingly with Blount with effectiveness.

Do you think it could have been a personnel decision last year? We weren't really equipped with any backs that can pound the ball up the middle.
    It could possibly be that, but I don't think so. Truthfully, the only back we have this season that "packs a punch" other than LMJ is Tra Carson, but I doubt he figures into the rotation much. Kelly is just evolving his offense, and by adding this he makes our offense less predictable at times. Against Ohio State and Auburn we drove the well at times, but in key situations we were denied in the redzone, this is a product of that.
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011

vCash
    It could possibly be that, but I don't think so. Truthfully, the only back we have this season that "packs a punch" other than LMJ is Tra Carson, but I doubt he figures into the rotation much. Kelly is just evolving his offense, and by adding this he makes our offense less predictable at times. Against Ohio State and Auburn we drove the well at times, but in key situations we were denied in the redzone, this is a product of that.

yep. that's where the old "Hey, it's the Pac-10, they can't play with the big boys" thoughts come from. We would run up and down the field, but stall in the redzone against those bigger teams. I agree, it's always something to keep in place for those OOC games where we need to match up brute strength. We'll always have the edge in speed though

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by haggis View Post

yep. that's where the old "Hey, it's the Pac-10, they can't play with the big boys" thoughts come from. We would run up and down the field, but stall in the redzone against those bigger teams. I agree, it's always something to keep in place for those OOC games where we need to match up brute strength. We'll always have the edge in speed though
    Part of the problem is that our quarterbacks were messing up on the reads really badly. Thomas in particular was panicking and making the wrong reads, which made Nick Fairley look like some God of Football. He will be ready for those tough situations this year though. Having the I-Formation takes the pressure off of our quarterbacks, which is what I love about it.

vCash
    EUGENE, Ore. -- Oregon linebacker Kiko Alonso has pleaded guilty to misdemeanor charges of trespassing and criminal mischief stemming from his arrest last Sunday.

Alonso was sentenced Friday morning in Lane County Circuit Court to two years of probation, 200 hours of community service and alcohol treatment.

Alonso, 20, was arrested after he broke into a stranger's home last weekend. Police found him sleeping in a bed there.

Oregon coach Chip Kelly suspended Alonso indefinitely after his arrest.

The junior was also suspended by Kelly for all of last season after he was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence of intoxicants.

The Ducks went 12-1, claiming the Pacific-10 title before falling to Auburn in the BCS Championship Game in January.

Although he was allowed to practice with the team last season, Alonso was limited while he recovered from knee surgery.

The junior was a projected starter this season, replacing Casey Matthews at middle linebacker. His arrest came hours after he played in Oregon's annual spring game.
    ESPN

Basically, he got drunk and allegedly "went into the wrong house". His fate is likely sealed anyways, but damn does he have alcohol issues.

vCash
    Apparently we picked up a verbal commitment from Evan Baylis, a 4 star tight end out of the state of Colorado. He is 6 foot 6, so that would be an awesome get if the rumors pan out.

Here is his Scout Profile: http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73...=1&nid=5106307

vCash
    ESPN

Basically, he got drunk and allegedly "went into the wrong house". His fate is likely sealed anyways, but damn does he have alcohol issues.
    Another duck in trouble, who would of though

Too bad though, I always hate seeing kids piss away their future over some dumb **** like this (even if they are my hated rivals)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuckus View Post
    You can't spell Worley without W.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Infamous916 View Post
    Another duck in trouble, who would of though

Too bad though, I always hate seeing kids piss away their future over some dumb **** like this (even if they are my hated rivals)
    Yup, it's rather infuriating. The courts wouldn't have accepted his plea if they had felt he had malicious intent, but Alonso still made a devastating mistake.

On to more awesome stuff. Hamani Stevens appears to be back from his Mormon Mission. Before Stevens departed, many of us believed he would beat out Jordan Holmes for the starting center gig, so this is terrific news. Stevens will be going in as a RS Freshman, so he will be around for a while and hopefully develop into a stud for us. Apparently he has kept himself in decent shape and is around 318 pounds.

Also, I found an awesome pump-up video for the LSU vs. Oregon showdown in Dallas.

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWjJQ...eature=related

vCash
    Harmon Killebrew Nearly Joined The Oregon Football Team Before A Twist Of Fate

Just how close did Harmon Killebrew come to playing football for the Oregon Ducks? Tucked away in Idaho, Killebrew was already an amazing athlete, and was set to be a dual-sport star for the Ducks at the conclusion of his high school days. But his hitting prowess caught the attention of an Idaho senator, who then passed his name along to the owner of the Washington Generals and set in motion a chain of events that ended with Killebrew signing a major league contract.

A chance encounter with a Generals' scout in an Idaho beet field led Killebrew away from a scholarship at Oregon and into the major leagues. The rest, as they say, is history.

"I was set to go to Oregon to play college baseball and football," Killebrew once said. "It rained the night Mr. Bluege was there. They burned gasoline to dry the infield, and then I hit a ball over the left-field fence — first one to do it, 435 feet into a beet field."
    http://seattle.sbnation.com/seattle-...ngton-senators

Killebrew dropped his college plans and signed a three-year contract with the Senators’ organization that included a $12,000 bonus. As a so-called bonus baby, he was required to remain with the team for at least two years. He played sparingly, but a tip he received from the future Hall of Fame slugger Ralph Kiner served him well. Kiner suggested that he stand closer to the plate and concentrate on pulling the ball.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/18/sp...r=1&ref=sports

Thought this was cool. Never knew this...

vCash
    Also, I found an awesome pump-up video for the LSU vs. Oregon showdown in Dallas.

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWjJQ...eature=related

can't wait.

vCash
    Every now and then in sports, some team will come up with a better way.

Think "Total Football"—the free-flowing brand of soccer that the Dutch club team Ajax perfected in the 1970s; or the warp-speed Loyola Marymount basketball program of two decades ago, which still holds the single-season Division I scoring record (122.4 points per game); or the University of Houston football team, whose innovative run 'n' shoot passing attack allowed it to score 95 points in a single game.

Now that spring practice season has wrapped across college football, it's becoming increasingly clear that there may be another team on the verge of reaching this pantheon of all-time creative geniuses. It's the Oregon Ducks.

This team's recent accomplishments have been well noted. Using a warp-speed offense that operates 34% more quickly than most conventional teams, Oregon averaged 47 points and 531 yards per game last season, both No. 1 nationally, and has won 20 of its past 21 games in the Pac-10 conference. Though Oregon lost to Auburn in the BCS national championship game, it recently received another kind of validation that's typical of genius teams: that it has done what it has without superior talent. During the NFL's recent seven-round draft, only one Oregon player was selected.
    One of the best arguments in Oregon's favor is what happened this spring. Opposing coaches across the soon-to-be-rechristened Pac-12 scrambled to make adjustments in the name of trying to handle the Ducks.

"We can't just wait until the week of the game to get our defense prepared for that tempo," said Washington coach Steve Sarkisian. He said the Huskies will do more no-huddle work in practice to learn how to compete when fatigued. He said he'll shuffle the lineup earlier to keep players fresher. "We have to get to that level in order to compete with them," he said.

USC coach Lane Kiffin said Oregon was doing "a phenomenal job" and that its system is "very abnormal" because of the speed at which it moves. "That offense is part of our life," added Oregon State coach Mike Riley. "It's something we've got to be thinking about all the time."

UCLA's Rick Neuheisel, whose team lost to Oregon last season in a brutal 60-13 rout, predicted (perhaps a bit wishfully) that Oregon may soon be solved. "I just think that people are going to study it and practice it—especially those in the North Division—and I think people will catch up," he said.

Historically, the life cycle of "genius" teams is often short. Neuheisel points out that previous college-football innovations like the triple option, the run 'n' shoot and the West Coast offense, all have been cracked. The famed "46" defense popularized by the 1985 Chicago Bears, with its emphasis on pressuring quarterbacks, was eventually killed off by the quick, short passing of the West Coast offense.

A glance at some of these genius teams of the past suggests the biggest threat to their longevity is the departure of the system's leading impresario.

In 1973, after Ajax won what's now known as the Champions League for three straight years using a fluid system that allowed players to swap positions on the field, the departure of star Johan Cruyff snapped the dynasty.

The Loyola Marymount program, which had three 20-win seasons and set the all-time scoring mark in 1989-90, collapsed almost immediately after coach Paul Westhead left for the NBA. (Westhead now coaches Oregon's women's basketball team.) Texas Tech's pass-happy football team, which once reached No. 2 by upsetting top-ranked Texas, fell off the map 14 months later with the departure of coach Mike Leach.

One of college football's all-time strategic wonders was the Houston Cougars' football team 20 years ago, which used the run 'n' shoot—a passing attack in which receivers created their routes on the fly. But after coach Jack Pardee left in 1990, the team's discipline eroded. Even before the team took the field against Miami in 1991, "I was fully aware we were in big trouble," quarterback David Klingler said. Miami crushed Houston, by a 40-10 score, and the Cougars went 4-7.

While Oregon head coach Chip Kelly isn't going anywhere, Oregon will have to fill three holes on the offensive line this season and replace linebacker Kiko Alonso, who has been suspended. Because of its losses, Oklahoma is the early favorite to win the 2011 title.

As for Neuhesel's dire predictions, Kelly declined to comment. Last season, when the UCLA coach said he thought someone would "solve" Oregon, Kelly had this to say, according to the Oregonian: "They must be pretty slow in solving it because I've been running it for four years here."
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...469213914.html

vCash
    Saw this a while ago and thought it was pretty cool. There was some list that recently was released ranking the top 100 creative geniuses and Chip Kelly was on it. He was the only sports figure on the list, so it was quite the praise.

vCash
    Saw this a while ago and thought it was pretty cool. There was some list that recently was released ranking the top 100 creative geniuses and Chip Kelly was on it. He was the only sports figure on the list, so it was quite the praise.
    http://www.fastcompany.com/most-creative-people/2011

Yeah, I read these awhile ago as well, just forgot to post them. High praise for Chip #30 on that list.

vCash
    That was a nice comment by Chip at the end of the article there. He's pretty good at giving sarcastic responses.

vCash
    Heard some **** went down recently, players could be suspended or kicked off if true. I'm going to wait till we hear something concrete before saying anything more than that though..

Page 15 of 67 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast