Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Just taking a quick glance, but I think they did a pretty nice job.

I think they have Ben Smith right where he belongs. He is probably the most NHL ready (along with Leddy) but he doesn't have the high ceiling that the guys in front of him do. Nothing wrong with being a 3rd line player your whole career though (even though he might be able to get 2nd line fringe status but I don't know).

vCash
    With all the prospects the hawks have, they could create another Chicago hockey team!
    FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER ChiTownGuido23

vCash
    A little surprised to see the Hayes bros listed lower, but perhaps that's more accurate than previous excitement about the big boys.

The sh-- apple doesn't fall far from the sh-- tree.

vCash
    rockford announces 2011 training camp invitees
    rockford, ill.- chicago blackhawks general manager of minor league affiliations mark bernard announced on monday that 13 non-contracted players have been invited to training camp for the rockford icehogs of the american hockey league. Icehogs training camp is set to start on sunday, sept. 25 at the bmo harris bank center.

The camp invitees include eight forwards, four defensemen and one goalie. The eight forwards are scott freeman, kevin harvey, aaron lewicki, adam miller, evan rankin, harrison reed, brandon svendsen and justin taylor. The four defensemen are darcy campbell, matt krug, drew paris and elgin reid. The goalie is adam russo.

Of the seven icehogs under ahl contract for the 2011-12 season, six are currently attending blackhawks training camp. Forwards rob flick, peter leblanc, andrew shaw, paul zanette and defensemen brian fahey and ben youds are currently in camp with the blackhawks. Goal tender carter hutton is also under ahl contract with rockford.

vCash
    Fahey is a pretty good depth guy for the Hawks organization if he stays with the Icehogs. The guy is a Vet. with a lot of big game experiance. A for sure top 4 guy at the AHL level (should be a top pair guy) that can help out the young defense core with solid 2-way play and more than likely solid leadership. I really liked him when he played for the Wolvs a few years back. I also think he saw a little time with the Caps last season so he could be an injury call up if the injury bug bites hard. Plus there was a lady that always called him Pookie when we went to Icehogs Vs. Wolves games which I thought was funny. The AHL can be a small world sometimes.

Rockford, pit stop on the road to being champions.

vCash
    Jeremy Morin- 2 shots, 2 goals. haha

Saad had a huge 4 goal, 1 assist game in Saginaw.

Storm or ihf08, any reason why Salak hasn't played in net yet? I've heard nothing about a reasoning.

The sh-- apple doesn't fall far from the sh-- tree.

vCash
    Salak got the start last night. He lost 2-0 but it sounded like he played really well. My only guess as to the reason it was his first start is that Alec Richards has been in Rockford for a couple years and they were giving Salak time to acclimate himself. I don't think there is a ton to read into him not starting the first few games other than there is an OK AHL vet infront of him that they were going to roll out while the new kid got his legs underneath him in Rockford. I suspect it won't be long before he is getting the majority of the workload.

David Toews has been sent to Toledo of the ECHL.

vCash

not so hot

I'm not sure who is keeping up but the Icehogs haven't been so hot this years its kind of depressing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ACicehawks86 View Post
    I'm not sure who is keeping up but the Icehogs haven't been so hot this years its kind of depressing.
    Yea, I think a lot of it has to do with how young the team is.

You would think they are doing better though with some of the individual talent on the team.

vCash
    That record is a little sneaky and is not at all indicative of the way the team has been playing over the last 10-12 games. They started REALLY slow and have a piss poor home record so far but the team has really been gelling nicely over the last month. If the progress continues, they could be right in the thick of things at the end of the season.

I am more concerned about progress with this team. It is really young but there is a ton of talent. There was a long streak of bad offense but they have been killing it (think I saw a stat somewhere around 35 goals in the last 9 games). Brandon Pirri is playing fantastic hockey. Rusty Olesz has been great since getting to Rockford. For whatever else he may or may not be, he doesn't have attitude issues. Andrew Shaw has also been a nice surprise. Dude is big, physical, nasty and seems to have more of a scoring touch than I thought he would. I've also been pretty happy whith what i've seen out of jimmy Hayes. I didn't realize how huge he was but he is a beast. A year or so and he could be a strong power forward for the Hawks. I also dig Brandon Bollig. decent mucker but they guy isn't afraid of anybody. I have seen him fight Eric Godard and Zack Stortini and hold his own. And of course, Brian Connelly is great. Leading the AHL in points by D-man and playing huge minutes.

Kyle Beach has only played in 8 games due to a significant injury. I'm not 100% sure what it was but that is why he hasn't been contributing rather than any issues that he himself has had. On an up note, he did color for a game on the radio/public access feed and was actually really good. Pretty insightful and entertaining.

Goaltending has been an issue. Salak has struggled. I still like the kid but he has proven that he wasn't ready and that Emery was the right choice (Emery has done that himself as well). WE have had a kid named Carter Hutton up playing and he has added some stability in net unexpectedly.

The D has been shaky. Brian Fahey and Connelly have both been good verteran players but the young guys have been having ups and downs. I hate to break it to you guys that think Dylan Olsen is even close to be ready, he isn't. He spent multiple games scratched earlier in the season and has struggled to find a consistant game. He isn't showing signs of bust be he isn't quite to the point where people should be talking about him improving the Hawks blueline this season. Sadly, Shawn Lalonde has been a bit of a non factor at times and that makes me sad. Possibly the best of the young D-men has been Ryan Stanton. He is a deffensive, physical D-man that has been a very steady hand.

The vets have been great. Brandon Segal has been wearing the "C" and is earning it in every sense of the term.

It hasn't been postd here but Rob Klinkhammer has been traded to the Senators for a 7th round pick.

Going forward, the biggest priorities are consistancy and disipline. The boys have blown a few games due to disipline issues. That can be expected of a young team but as they gain experiance, this should improve. So long story short, don't just look at the record, it doesn't tell the story very well. Team isn't great right now but they are by no means bad, just young and a bit undisiplined but starting to get it together.
    Last edited by stormbolter73; 12-15-2011 at 05:11 AM.

vCash
    ^^^ Awesome update, was hoping you or Icehog would stop in and let us know. Good stuff.

vCash
    Two more draft pick signings, McNeil and Danault. Boom or Stormbolter, what does this mean? Does their contract count against the cap or only if they are called to the active roster?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,3407947.story

vCash
    To answer a 3 month old question, the money doesn't count unless they are on the NHL roster. Sorry that took so long!
    The organization has apparently signed Martin St. Pierre. I love it! High end AHL talent, with experience. Even better, It's bringing an old friend back into the organization and we know what we should be getting. He could really be a positive mentor for our young skill guys. Depending on what happens with any BIG signing, he could end up seeing a little NHL time due to his cap hit and experience but I wouldn't expect it with as many young, nearly ready players as the system holds.

vCash
    The Icehogs hae a lot of talent that is developing in the right direction so there should be a big step forward this year. The NHL lockout is great for the AHL but could be detrimental to the Hogs. Sure they got some NHL level talent with Leddy and some of our other fringe guys like Bollig, Shaw, Hayes, Smith, and Kruger, but so did everybody else. Look at the Roster for the OKC Oil Barons, its STUPID! They recieved players like Nugent-Hopkins and Eberle. There are a few others that recieved more high level NHL talent as well. I am intreagued to see how this will shake up the standings at the start of the season. It is a great chance to see some stars. The unfortunate thing from a player development stand point is that the NHL players are taking roster spots from guys taht should be in the AHL improving their games. There are a number of players taht should be Icehogs at the start of the season that will end up playing in the ECHL with the Walleye. The longer the lockout drags on, the worse it is from a player development standpoint, for "diamonds in the rough" and for first year players. Of course the competition will be better for as long as the lockout lasts and the AHL should really see a spike in revenue. Rockford isn't that far away, make the drive and see a game in a great atmosphere.

vCash
    I think the AHL lockout will be good for those fringe guys. The AHL is kind of an "inbetweener" at this point. Kruger, Leddy, Olsen, Morin, etc will all play towards competition that might show their true colors.

Any one in particular we should be looking for? Will Hutton continue his solid play from last year?

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast