Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Which FA woulf you rather have?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • MARIAN HOSSA

6 40.00%
  • BRIAN CAMPBELL

9 60.00%
Page 3180 of 4513 FirstFirst ... 218026803080313031703178317931803181318231903230328036804180 ... LastLast
Results 47,686 to 47,700 of 67690

Thread: Old threads

I don't like this signing. I see it as a chemistry issue that I have always liked our GMs protecting (see Bears, Bulls). Plus this dude just pissed me off in the finals in '10.

I'm happy with the draft and yesterday's acquisitions, but are the Hawks a better team with Mantador and these give guys then with Campbell and Brouwer?

It seems a little odd adding one more enforcer after signing Mayers but as everyone here as pretty much agreed on, Carcillo is a step up from Scott. I think what u have to ask yourself 'will we be a better team than we were last year?' I think we will be. I think Brunette is going to play better than Brouwer did last year and this coming season. I think any one of those signings are better than Dowell. I think the additions of, albeit less skilled but tough guys, Mayers, O'Donnell, and Carcillo will allow our top 6 to play better (since they won't be getting worn down night after night). Plus, with the exception of Richards and a few other guys, this free agent pool is shallow at best. Which is why Richards (and alot of this years FA's) is gonna get a bloated contract. Which, in the long run, wont be worth it for the Hawks (i.e. see Hossa in about 3 years). Bowman is smart. Sign the guys to a one year deal, if they pan out great, if not, well cut em' loose either mid season via trade (having a few extra bucks to sign a decent player), or at the end of the season when a new and hopefully more talented free agent pool is available. Would be nice to get one more scoring threat but if not, hey its fine by me. After all, look at Detroit and Vancouver. Detroit has struck out on all fronts so far and hasn't done ANYTHING to improve its team from last year and Vancouver (die!!!), IMO, is worse off than they were last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Boom! View Post
    Campoli or Olesz?

Gotta be honest, I'm having a tough time seeing a connection.
    Odd connection indeed. Can't imagine they'd be willing to trade Lars Eller, but he could definitely be a 3rd line center for us if Bolland can move up or play 2nd line wing, with Brunette up to 1st line and Sharp to 2nd line center. We have prospects to move and Campoli's rights as well since they need a d-man.

Quote Originally Posted by Sox71 View Post
    I'm happy with the draft and yesterday's acquisitions, but are the Hawks a better team with Mantador and these give guys then with Campbell and Brouwer?
    Waaaaaay better but only for one year, then we do this all over again or hope some young guys are ready to go. This team became extremely deep real quick and most of the guys we signed are a-holes so we better have a stellar PK unit! Still wondering why Olesz wasn't bought out given the tight budget, but oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sox71 View Post
    I think so. They've added a lot of depth as well as toughness and penalty killing. Brunette is better than Brower. Meyers, Montador, and O'Donell can all kill penalties. Carcillo I could take or leave, but maybe this means no more John Scott, who's just not a good hockey player despite the fact that I enjoy him bashing someones head in now and again. We still have money and I think we have at least one more "big" move in us. Probably not Richards but I'm thinking we maybe trade for a 2nd line center. I think the Hawks underachieved last year and were going to bounce back this year regardless. The formula of adding hungry veterans to go with your super talented core is a good one. We will have to do it again next year but I think you will see that older vets will want to sign up for a real shot at the cup.

Brad Richards signs: NHL.com reports Richards signs 9-year deal with @thenyrangers for avg of $6.5mm per. http://cot.ag/kZSoSq
    http://twitter.com/#!/NHL/status/87180602830360577

Richards got his big pay day from the Rangers

With the signing of Richards, you have to think that one of their RFA centers will be on the way out.

Dubinsky, Boyle, or Anisimov. Dubinsky would be my #1 choice and Anisimov my second.

Quote Originally Posted by Boudusafa View Post
    It seems a little odd adding one more enforcer after signing Mayers but as everyone here as pretty much agreed on, Carcillo is a step up from Scott. I think what u have to ask yourself 'will we be a better team than we were last year?' I think we will be. I think Brunette is going to play better than Brouwer did last year and this coming season. I think any one of those signings are better than Dowell. I think the additions of, albeit less skilled but tough guys, Mayers, O'Donnell, and Carcillo will allow our top 6 to play better (since they won't be getting worn down night after night). Plus, with the exception of Richards and a few other guys, this free agent pool is shallow at best. Which is why Richards (and alot of this years FA's) is gonna get a bloated contract. Which, in the long run, wont be worth it for the Hawks (i.e. see Hossa in about 3 years). Bowman is smart. Sign the guys to a one year deal, if they pan out great, if not, well cut em' loose either mid season via trade (having a few extra bucks to sign a decent player), or at the end of the season when a new and hopefully more talented free agent pool is available. Would be nice to get one more scoring threat but if not, hey its fine by me. After all, look at Detroit and Vancouver. Detroit has struck out on all fronts so far and hasn't done ANYTHING to improve its team from last year and Vancouver (die!!!), IMO, is worse off than they were last year.
    A professional lurker turned poster? haha

Killer first post, nice insight. Keep sharing.

I think Carcillo will work out, even if he doesn't skate many minutes or dress all the time. Hell if he watches from the press box for a few games he'll be charged up to bring energy packed hits (not to his teammates).

The sh-- apple doesn't fall far from the sh-- tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Boom! View Post
    With the signing of Richards, you have to think that one of their RFA centers will be on the way out.

Dubinsky, Boyle, or Anisimov. Dubinsky would be my #1 choice and Anisimov my second.
    They should be motivated to clear a little money. We'll take Dubinsky, thanks.

The Hogs should be real good with our recent signings. That means young specs will spend time in the Rock until we can't afford to not call them up. I'm more a fan of seasoning after yesterday than I was. Why rush guys in?

Interesting note: O'Donell hasn't had a minus season since '96-'97. Wow. He's also only missed 12 games in 7 seasons.

^^^ Detroit Red Wings model right there. And look at how Corey Crawford did.

Quote Originally Posted by Assman22 View Post
    Wow, where do I begin?

First, Mayers and O'Donnell were not trades they were free agent signings.

Second, how are you trying to compare Mayers to Madden? Completely different.

Third, O'Donnell is NOT a 2 way contract. He's a one year, one way, 850k.

Now to defend what I wrote....I would have rather Eager than Mayers anyday even for twice the price. Yes both are 4th liners, but Eager is twice the HOCKEY player Mayers ever has been. I'd say ever will be, but Mayers is on his last legs at the ripe age of 36. Mayers checks and fights, takes just as many bad penalties as Eager but not nearly the puck-handler, passer, or skater. There's a reason he took a deal for 550k.

My problem with all our deals today is they were for all old guys besides Carcillo, which is probably the worst of the bunch. Even Monty is no spring chicken. Mayers 36, Brunette 37, O'Donnell 39, McLean 32. All gap fillers for a year or two, nothing for the future. Brunette is fine because we have Morin just around the corner. Monty is great too since we have zero d-men in the pipe.

My point is we'll be in this same spot this time next season looking for the same scraps. Are we better now than before? Only time will tell....
    1. My bad SIGNINGS!**
    2. NO they are not completely different they are 4th line centers who kill the Penalty, except Mayers hits, Madden doesn't. So if u ask me i have NO problems with taking Mayers over Madden.
    BTW- Eager may be twice the hockey player mayers is but mayers still gets the job done, and Eager is also twice the dumbass that mayers. I have no problem with not taking eager were not looking for our fourth line to score they're supposed to stir ******* up, and some will kill penalties.
    3.I can SLIGHTLY agree with you here. Yes they are all old, BUT there nothing wrong with some veteran presence on a team, we're still an average age of 26 years old. The only signing i dont agree with is carcillo. But the minute he puts one of the sedins on their ***** we'll all love him .
    4.I heard O'Donnell is a 2 -way contract so i was relaying what i've heard..

So to sum this up. I have no problem with these signings yes they're all old but they are also all one year deals. So maybe they are waiting till next year (A BETTER free agent class?) to make BETTER/YOUNGER/DEPTH signings..
    The Quest For Lombardi
    Bringin' It Back Home

Where It All Began

When you have the luxury to get vets for a year around the minimum because you're a 'destination' team, you can afford to do that.

We should really thank Dale for starting that transformation, just look how he's made moves in Florida this offseason. Now guys WANT to be in Florida. Take care of people, worry about winning, treat people right and they wanna play for you for less.