Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Hawks trade for Pierre-Marc Bouchard and Peter Regin from Islanders

For a 4th round pick, per NHL.com

The Chicago Blackhawks have acquired forwards Peter Regin and Pierre-Marc Bouchard from the New York Islanders in exchange for a fourth-round selection in the 2014 National Hockey League Entry Draft. Regin will join the Blackhawks, while Bouchard will report directly to the Rockford IceHogs of the American Hockey League. In addition, the Blackhawks have reassigned forward Brandon Pirri to Rockford.

Regin, 27, has appeared in 44 games this season with New York, posting seven points (2g, 5a) in those contests. He tallied a season-high two points (1g, 1a) on Oct. 8 vs. Phoenix and appeared in his 200th career NHL game on Nov. 19 at Toronto.

The Herning, Denmark, native has earned 62 points (21g, 41a) in 222 career NHL games with Ottawa and New York. Regin also appeared in 56 games with the Binghamton Senators of the AHL during the 2008-09 season, recording 47 points (18g, 29a). Prior to his North American career, Regin registered 58 points (25g, 33a) in 150 career games with Timra of the Swedish Hockey League from 2005 to 2008. He has represented his native Denmark in international competition 14 times, including six appearances at the International Ice Hockey Federation World Championships (2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010).

Regin was selected by the Ottawa Senators in the third round, 87th overall, of the 2004 NHL Entry Draft.

Bouchard, 29, has recorded nine points (4g, 5a) in 28 games this season with the Islanders and 17 points (6g, 11a) in 20 games with the AHLís Bridgeport Sound Tigers. He recorded an AHL season-high seven-game point streak (3g, 6a) with Bridgeport from Dec. 14 to Jan. 3 and has earned a season-best two points four times. Bouchard registered an NHL season-best three-game assist streak with the Islanders from Oct. 15 to Oct. 19.

The Sherbrooke, Quebec, native has tallied 356 career points (110g, 246a) in 593 NHL games with Minnesota and New York, and 71 points (18g, 53a) in 87 AHL games with Houston and Bridgeport. Prior to his professional career, Bouchard played two seasons with the Chicoutimi Sagueneens of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, earning 235 points (84g, 151a) in 136 career games. He represented Canada at the 2003 IIHF World Junior Championship, earning five points (2g, 3a) in six games while helping his team to a silver medal.

Bouchard was selected by the Minnesota Wild in the first round, eighth overall, of the 2002 NHL Entry Draft.

Pirri, 22, has recorded 11 points (6g, 5a) in 28 games during two stints this season with the Blackhawks. The Toronto, Ontario, native has 13 points (4g, 9a) in 16 games with the IceHogs.

vCash
    Do we need depth in Rockford? I honestly don't see how this move makes us better in any department unless Bouchard turns the clock back 5 years....but he's going to Rockford. I guess it means Regin can sit on the end of the bench instead of Pirri?

vCash
    I guess Islanders want to free up cap space because I don't understand why they have get rid of two profitable players like Bouchard and Regin. However, I don't know what is the economical situation in the Chicago Blackhawks, but I think they have to re-sign Toews and Kane next year, haven't they?

Maybe these players, Bouchard and Regin are only short term adquisition to make Blackhawks more competitive this year, or maybe they will be a proper replacement to other players who expect earn more money in the next year and Blackhawks cannot afford re-sign.

Looking at Regin stats I understand he could be a 3th or 4th line player without no problem. He has experience and could be useful to our team. However, I don't understand why Bouchard is sent to Minors. He is 29 and is over 350 points throughout his career. He has enough skills to become a 2nd line or even an eventually 1st line player in the blackhawks if players like Hossa or Sharp leave the team after signing Toews and Kane a new contract.

I don't follow closely the NHL news, so I guess Bouchard comes from an injury, or maybe he passes a bad moment. I wonder if he will be the same player he was because he is still a young player, but otherwise, Islander has trade him in exchange of hardly nothing in return, so I am puzzled about this trade.

I play NHL2k often, and I like to play with the real team. I am going to replace Bolling and Pirri with these two players. I don't care if Bouchard don't play with the real team in the real life. He is quality player and I am looking forward to playing with him in the videogame.
    Last edited by monty77; 02-07-2014 at 06:07 AM.
    I'm NBA fan who write from Spain so... I'm sorry for my spelling mistakes