Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Randy Shannon over in Miami?

OmarKelly

I can confirm the Canesport.com report. The Randy Shannon era at UM is officially over following a BOT meeting with pres Donna Shalala.

sgorten

I can confirm #UM Coach Randy Shannon and staff has been fired, according to a source within the program close to Shannon

allCanesBlog

RT @wsvn: CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Person familiar with decision tells The Associated Press that Miami fires coach Randy Shannon #fb
    Last edited by BALLER71; 11-27-2010 at 11:45 PM.
    DUKE.

vCash
    I just posted the ESPN report in the main College thread. Forgot to look here

vCash
    Lucky, we're stuck with Dabo for at least one more year. You can't fire a coach with a top 5 recruiting class.

vCash
    ****ing stupid.

vCash
    Shannon had the #1 recruiting class like 2 years ago. The guy just isnt a head coach. He'll get picked up somewhere as a DC and do a great job

vCash
    I was just mulling over some candidates, I'll let you guys comment on them:

Greg Schiano
    Jim Harbaugh (although he'll get the Michigan job if Rich Rod is fired)
    Bud Foster
    Gus Malzahn (I think he'll be a bust as a HC, but a candidate nonetheless)
    Troy Calhoun
    Brent Venables
    Mike Leach

FWIW, I don't see Gruden as a legitimate candidate. There are too many potential openings in the NFL for him to take a college job.

vCash
    please miami take Bud Foster from VT.
    YES

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    I was just mulling over some candidates, I'll let you guys comment on them:

Greg Schiano
    Jim Harbaugh (although he'll get the Michigan job if Rich Rod is fired)
    Bud Foster
    Gus Malzahn (I think he'll be a bust as a HC, but a candidate nonetheless)
    Troy Calhoun
    Brent Venables
    Mike Leach

FWIW, I don't see Gruden as a legitimate candidate. There are too many potential openings in the NFL for him to take a college job.
    I think that is the only legit that Miami has on their list. I dont think they're going to go with the "at a small school/OC and is doing a great job" type. Miami has tried that for the past 2 coaches and it didnt work out. Miami is going to pull a big trigger here. Gruden has said he enjoyed coaching in south florida. Where in the NFL is/would he coach? Outside of the Niners, there isnt a job that is truly open that would be interesting for him

vCash
    As a fan, I am so glad to see them finally sack up and realize where the true problem lies, and fire Shannon.

But I do wish Shannon the best of luck with whatever he decides to do next...He's a great guy, and a great defensive mind. He did a lot for the program that many fail to recognize.

vCash
    great story for him and a good player for us in the past but it was past time to let him go

we need a good real coach for once
    "Joe Montana was a product of a system, Dan Marino was a system" -- Bill Walsh

vCash
    -Hocutt has ties to Brent Venables...

Sileo got an e-mail this morning from Donna saying no money will be spared for the next coach here. Translation, the checkbook is going to opened here for a big name.

Sileo's Twitter Page
    I want someone with HC experience. Patterson from TCU would be awesome

-Harbaugh would be insanely awesome, but like someone said, that Michigan job might be his.
    DUKE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYYankees12 View Post
    I think that is the only legit that Miami has on their list. I dont think they're going to go with the "at a small school/OC and is doing a great job" type. Miami has tried that for the past 2 coaches and it didnt work out. Miami is going to pull a big trigger here. Gruden has said he enjoyed coaching in south florida. Where in the NFL is/would he coach? Outside of the Niners, there isnt a job that is truly open that would be interesting for him
    Every NFL job would be more attractive than an average college football program. San Francisco, Carolina, Dallas, Minnesota, possibly Cleveland, Denver, Cincinnati, and Tennessee. The only place he won't consider if there's an opening is Oakland, if he truly decides to get back into coaching this year.

Quote Originally Posted by BALLER71 View Post
    -Hocutt has ties to Brent Venables...

I want someone with HC experience. Patterson from TCU would be awesome

-Harbaugh would be insanely awesome, but like someone said, that Michigan job might be his.
    Venables and Patterson were both candidates for the Clemson job before Dabo was hired. Patterson was basically a done deal if Clemson wanted him, but of course, the WR coach beat South Carolina, so how can you deny him?!

vCash
    "I am proud of the last four years at the University of Miami and what we have been able to accomplish. I have a deep respect and appreciation for the young men who have played here during my tenure.

"We established three winning seasons; continually improved in the Atlantic Coast Conference over the last four years; brought in strong recruiting classes; and just as importantly, made tremendous strides off the field with our academic progress rate and graduation success rate among the best nationally.

"I believe that I leave the Hurricanes football program with a stronger foundation upon which they can continue to build. I thank President Shalala for the opportunity. Those that know my history know of my passion and dedication to the 'U', and only want success for this University moving forward."
    Statement from Shannon.

Classy guy, and I have a ton of respect for him. Again, I'm very upset that he wasn't able to get it done here because he's a true Cane, and I wanted more than anything for him to succeed.

He's a good person, and a good defensive guy, like I said...He's just not a head coach.

vCash
    Well, I'll be damned. A couple of stray reports are out there saying that Miami and Gruden already have a deal in place for about $3 million per year. I'm not really buying that Gruden wouldn't at least listen to NFL teams, and I don't think he would be a particularly good recruiter to boot. Gruden tends to be rash and piss a lot of people off.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    Well, I'll be damned. A couple of stray reports are out there saying that Miami and Gruden already have a deal in place for about $3 million per year. I'm not really buying that Gruden wouldn't at least listen to NFL teams, and I don't think he would be a particularly good recruiter to boot. Gruden tends to be rash and piss a lot of people off.
    Come on man. He has a SB ring. Recruiting won't be a problem. He's still kinda young and I'm sure he can get a long with high school football players.

I think this report about a 3M deal is pure BS, but I do think there's interest from both sides.
    DUKE.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast