Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Boy, I was wrong

Where do I start?

I'll start with the O-Line. I have NEVER seen an O-Line as bad as the Lions have. NEVER. They get NO push off the line. Raiola is getting ABUSED. Backus has been solid but he gets beat an awful lot by speed rushers. Peterman... Cherilus didn't play good yesterday at all. He has been okay this year but played terrible yesterday. Sims has been the most consistent lineman but even he didn't have a good game yesterday. It was really bad. Mayhew better address the O-Line this off season. It's an absolute MUST. The whole O-Line:

Next, Shaun Hill. Dude, what the hell were you doing or thinking? Shuan Hill in the huddle: "Hey guys, just run around like a bunch of idiots and I'll throw it to Row 37 because we're the Lions."

Next, SCOTT LINEHAN. What kind of game plan was that!? Run up the middle: 1 yard, Run up the middle: 2 yards, Pass: Incomplete, Punt. That was one of the worst game plans I have ever seen. Let's just wait until the 4th quarter to get Calvin the ball...brilliant plan! Let's pass on 1st and 10 and then run on 2nd and 10! IMO 1st down should almost always be a running play. If not a running play...play action. Linehan must have thought that he was fooling someone...

Next, Jim Schwartz. Dude, do you show any emotion? Last year you we're having "heart attacks" on the sideline...this year, you look like you don't care. WTF? You obviously don't discipline the players. You look like you don't care. You make a lot of head scratching calls. You're losing confidence in me, for sure. Hot seat.

I don't think we have made much progress...if any.
    % of Souls Taken: 100

vCash
    They had to play the game with an injured back up QB..Hill is very good but isnt 100 percent..They were the worst team in NFL history just 2 years ago...Not to mention they lost their starting QB...I feel your pain but man they werent winning many games this year anyway..

I think everyone is alot more upset because you see how good they can be and how bad the nfl is this year and wanna think what couldve been this year.... but before the season I think most people really thought 6 wins sounded right... so if they only end up with a few this year after all the injuries it shouldnt be that big of a surprise...If its like this in a year from now then I wont be so forgiving...

Props to StriveGreatness

vCash
    Saying that Jim Schwartz is on the hot seat is stupid, second of all we have made progress? Are you dumb, we used our 2nd string quarter back the whole season our defense is amazing our O Line is bad on run plays, there not bad there Horrible but on pass plays they block, but saying we have made no progress is stupid

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eXpLiiCt View Post
    Saying that Jim Schwartz is on the hot seat is stupid, second of all we have made progress? Are you dumb, we used our 2nd string quarter back the whole season our defense is amazing our O Line is bad on run plays, there not bad there Horrible but on pass plays they block, but saying we have made no progress is stupid
    How have we made progress? Last year: 2 wins. This year: 2 wins. Which games left on the schedule will the Lions win? Please amuse me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsurfr2 View Post
    They had to play the game with an injured back up QB..Hill is very good but isnt 100 percent..They were the worst team in NFL history just 2 years ago...Not to mention they lost their starting QB...I feel your pain but man they werent winning many games this year anyway..

I think everyone is alot more upset because you see how good they can be and how bad the nfl is this year and wanna think what couldve been this year.... but before the season I think most people really thought 6 wins sounded right... so if they only end up with a few this year after all the injuries it shouldnt be that big of a surprise...If its like this in a year from now then I wont be so forgiving...
    Using, "They used a backup QB", is a bit of a scapegoat. Pittsburgh had no problems winning with CHARLIE BATCH. Cleveland had no problem winning with COLT McCOY against the PATRIOTS. But yeah let's use, "We're playing with our backup", as an excuse.

I know they were the worst team 2 years ago but they ABSOLUTELY HAVE to beat teams like the Bills. I don't understand how people say they have improved. If they have improved, they would have beat a team like the Bills.
    Last edited by StriveGreatness; 11-15-2010 at 05:21 PM.

vCash
    Did anyone else see that Kevin Walter play in the Houston game? Complete BULLS#IT!

vCash
    where to start...
    Jim Schwartz should not be on the hot seat. He needs an o-line, a healthy QB, and some depth at LB and DBs. I think he's a good coach overall, we forget sometimes how tall the task is to turn the NFL's first 0-16 team into a playoff team, and yet we expect it to happen 2 years later. Draft/sign a solid CB, an MLB, OLB, SS, and a G.

I still consider us 2 years away from serious contention because these guys will have to gel and develop, but I'd love to trade back from say #3 to #8 and maybe even back to like #13-15 after that and pick up a couple extra 2nds and 3rds. Then draft Bruce Carter (OLB) out of UNC [1st round], Brandon Harris (CB) from the U [2nd round], Stefan Wisniewski (OG) out of PSU [2nd round], then trade 2 of our now 3rd rounders to move up and get Greg Jones (MLB) out of Michigan State. Then hope Will Hill (FS) out of Florida, or Blake Gideon (FS) out of Texas falls to our lap in round 3.

Now I know what you're thinking...that'd be amazing, but it'll never happen, especially with our luck. Not to mention it addresses almost every blaring need! But don't forget Mayhew is a master at garnering draft picks, and don't be surprised if the lions don't get Peterson or Amukamara and end up trading back, and you never know, when it comes to drafting, Mayhew and Schwartz seem to have their heads on straight.

As far as free agency goes, I'd target Omar Gaither/Marcus McNeil, LBs, and maybe a safety. And for the right price maybe a slot guy for stafford instead of Bryant "can't-catch-the-ball" Johnson

vCash
    We have one maybe two peices of our oline for the future,

Sims
    Cherilus (Whos having a very good year)

Everyone else needs to go

And yes that means Dominic too, hes never had a winning season as a Lion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StriveGreatness View Post
    Where do I start?

I'll start with the O-Line. I have NEVER seen an O-Line as bad as the Lions have. NEVER..... Next, Shaun Hill. Dude, what the hell were you doing or thinking? .....Next, Jim Schwartz.... Hot seat.

I don't think we have made much progress...if any.
    Quote Originally Posted by StriveGreatness View Post
    ...I know they were the worst team 2 years ago but they ABSOLUTELY HAVE to beat teams like the Bills. I don't understand how people say they have improved. If they have improved, they would have beat a team like the Bills.

We have improved TREMENDOUSLY. We have literally been in EVERY game this year. We all know we should have won the Bears game (bad call), the Jets game (Stafford doesn't get hurt and Hill isn't in a cast, we win), the Buffalo game (again with Stafford or Hill healthy we win). Suddenly we're 5-4 and MUCH better than anyone expected. We could have won the Philly game (we lost by 3 with our back-up QB stating in his first game with us). So we could have been 6-3. We lost the Minnesota game without any question (though I think with a healthy Stafford, we'd have been in it). We lost the Packers game by 2 points IN Green Bay (again, a healthy Stafford and we probably win). Hill gets injured in the New York game and with our 3rd string QB, we still only lose by 8.

Yes, there are a lot of ifs and buts, however, with a healthy QB, we might be 8-1. So to say there has been "no improvement" and the team's coach needs to go, etc., I wonder if you have even been watching the games. This team has improved BIG TIME. I don't remember us being in nearly every game one or two years ago. I don't remember us being able to say, we could have won 8 of our games had we not lost our starting QB (and then our back-up). This team IS improving and after another draft or two and a few more free agents, we will win those games we "should or could" have won.
    Last edited by iu92grad; 11-15-2010 at 09:52 PM.

"Lions, Tigers and Pistons, OH MY!" (and Hoosiers...and Redwings....)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDetroitBlue View Post
    We have one maybe two peices of our oline for the future,

Sims
    Cherilus (Whos having a very good year)

Everyone else needs to go

And yes that means Dominic too, hes never had a winning season as a Lion

Backus needs to accept a move to RG and re-structure his contract so that money can go to free agency [and Lord knows they'll need the extra money if they pick in the top 5 again]. If he doesn't accept a pay cut, cut him. Then the money doesn't go to him at all. I have to believe that all the losing will prompt him to doing whatever it takes to stay in Detroit and see the losing end. He's made enough to be live like a king in MI's economy anyway.

Go after Jared Gaither - Bigtime talent, will be relatively cheap because of his recent history .[low risk VERY high reward]
    Go after Daryn Colledge - GB has put a lot of money into their o'line and may not be able to re-sign him anyway. He will add a nasty run block to the interior of the line and maybe even force Backus into being a backup.

Gaither - Sims - Raiola - Colledge - Cherilus
    Ja. Fox - Backus ------- Backus - Ja. Fox

This gives Fox the ability to step in at either tackle positions after a year of rehab and strength conditioning. He is 'the' project and if Gaither gets hurt, you have an experienced Backus who can fill in adequately or the younger talent, Fox who can step in. Backus can also back up either guard position. Yes, Raiola may not be the biggest center in the league, but he's one of the best at recognizing defensive sets and that is invaluable. Most centers aren't more than 300 lbs anyways. The only thing aobut Raiola is that he's ''short'' at 6'1. Raiola isn't the issue. It's the guard play. Sims can't overcompensate for Backus and Gosder can't overcompensate for Peterman. [which they are being asked to do.] Though Backus is much better than Peterman, the Lions don't run to the right side for a reason. It's called Stephen Peterman. That leaves the run game 2/3s efficient. Either run to the left or up the gut.

Chiefs - Casey Wiegmann | #62 | C 6'2 285 1st ranked rush offense in the NFL.
    Redskins - Casey Rabach | #61 | C 6'4 288
    Vikings - Jon Cooper | #68 | C 6'2 291 10th ranked rush offense in the NFL.
    Buccaneers - Jeff Faine | #52 | C 6'3 291
    Lions - Dominic Raiola | #51 | C 6'1 295
    Colts - Jeff Saturday | #63 | C 6'2 295
    Bears - Olin Kreutz | #57 | C 6'2 292
    Panthers - Ryan Kalil | #67 | C 6'2 295
    Texans - Chris Myers | #55 | C 6'4 295 7th ranked rush offense in the NFL.
    Patriots - Dan Koppen | #67 | C 6'2 296
    Falcons - Todd McClure | #62 | C 6'1 296 8th ranked rush offense in the NFL.
    Packers - Scott Wells | #63 | C 6'2 300
    Titans - Eugene Amano | #54 | C 6'3 300 9th ranked rush offense in the NFL.
    Raiders - Samson Satele | #64 | C 6'3 300 2nd ranked rush offense in the NFL.
    Bills - Geoff Hangartner | #63 | C 6'5 301
    Vikings - John Sullivan | #65 | C 6'4 301
    Jaguars - Brad Meester | #63 | C 6'3 302 6th ranked rush offense in the NFL.
    Giants - Shaun O'Hara | #60 | C 6'3 303 4th ranked rush offense in the NFL.
    Steelers - Maurkice Pouncey | #53 | C 6'4 304
    Broncos - J.D. Walton | #50 | C 6'3 205
    Chargers - Nick Hardwick | #61 | C 6'4 305
    Jets - Nick Mangold | #74 | C 6'4 307 3rd ranked rush offense in the NFL.
    Cardinals - Lyle Sendlein | #63 | C 6'3 308
    Seahawks - Chris Spencer | #65 | C 6'3 309
    Ravens - Matt Birk | #77 | C 6'4 310 11th ranked rush offense in the NFL.
    Eagles - Mike McGlynn | #77 | C 6'4 315 5th ranked rush offense in the NFL. But it's skewed because of Vick.

Bill Bentley
    Int -
    PD - 5
    FF -
    TD -
    Tackles - 28

vCash
    And an added thought...

I spoke to my friend, who's also a Lions fan and he reminded me of a couple more things: The Lions defense is VASTLY improved statistically, they moved up from dead last in all of football (32nd) in virtually every category, up to 21st overall (17th best against the pass). The Lions will have at least one all-pro this year compared to none last year. The Lions will have a better record this year than last year. The Lions had the highest scoring offense in the NFC going into last game (#1) after finishing 27th last year. Those are all GREAT improvements. He also said he would pay to see the Lions this year (and did). He would not several years prior.

vCash
    The Lions front Office must come to realize that inorder to protect there Future (Ala Stafford and Best) they need to invest serious money into the O-Line, they need to either aquire a Good LG by trade or a good C by trade or in free agency someone who can come in and step up right away.

vCash
    The Lions front Office must come to realize that inorder to protect there Future (Ala Stafford and Best) they need to invest serious money into the O-Line, they need to either aquire a Good LG by trade or a good C by trade or in free agency someone who can come in and step up right away.
    ARE YOU READING THIS MAYHEW!!!!!!:cry:

My AAL 2015 ProBowler: DeAndre Levy #54 58 tackles / .5 sacks / 1 safety / 1 amazing int
    click here to join the Lions Forum
    Lions Forum: 5 Time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12 & #14
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Lffs is the master at going from goofball to boss

vCash
    Despite our improvements (THAT SOME PEOPLE DON'T SEE), you're absolutely right. We need to completely overhaul the o-line. Stafford can't afford to spend another season on his azz after every throw. If this team is going continue to make the strides in the next two years that we all think are possible (EXCEPT FOR THE CERTAIN SOMEONE WHO STARTED THIS THREAD), we need to protect our franchise investment while allowing Best to run wild.
    Last edited by iu92grad; 11-16-2010 at 10:05 AM.

vCash
    Despite the BS in this thread...we havent had a QB that has been 100% and when Stafford does come in we are winning. We have lost a lot of games by dumb mistakes. We could be easily in the hunt for the division title, but you're right, the offensive line needs work. Take the Jets game for instance...lets play good all game and then play prevent to let them score and then play prevent in OT. The Lions have improved, no doubt. The game before the Jets we were the highest scoring team in the NFC. Take a look at our games:

Chi 19-14 Lost by 5; CJ wins if he catches the ball in the endzone
    Phi 35-32 Lost by 3
    GB 28-26 Lost by 2
    StL 44-6 Win huge
    NYG 28-20 Lost by 8; game was much closer; Lions f'd this one up
    Wash 37-25 win big 0 odds
    NYJ 23-20 Lose in OT; played prevent final 2 min and in OT...awesome game plan!
    BUF 14-12 Lose by 2; Offense had a melt down and yet almost pulled out a win...lets not forget an extra point miss.

I see the Lions having 8 wins if not for dumb moves.
    Pavel Datsyuk could stickhandle in a phone booth! Johan Franzen could knock over the phone booth!

LGRW!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast