Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Will Terrell Owens Make the HOF?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/T...of-Fame-062711

This article is an interesting perspective and I tend to agree with it. He has great numbers, some of the best. But will they carry him to the Hall of Fame? My initial thoughts were such a few number of players make it every year and guys like Cris Carter and Tim Brown still haven't made it. The Selection Committee and other retirees vote, so fans may not care about his cancerous effect, but owners/players/coaches/etc do. He has great statistics including a gutsy Super Bowl performance on a bad wheel, but also having a cancerous effect on pretty much every team he could have impacted when he was still a big time contributor (before Buffalo and Cincy). He had 3 pro bowl QBs in his prime and their primes, Jeff Garcia/Donovan McNabb/Tony Romo, and he still found ways to blow up in their face and hurt the team. U guys think the combination of great stats and destroying teams will get him in? Keep in mind only a small number of players make it every year and a good portion of their votes come from other retired players/coaches and the Selection Committee.

vCash
    I didn't read the post of thread,just the headline of it & to answer the question hell yeah he'll get in.This is a asinine question imo.He's a 1st ballot HOFer.

Weather you like him or not you've gotta admit that he's 1 of best WR's of all time.
    FROM ORACLE ARENA TO OLDSCHOOL CANDLESTICK PARK

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hyb152 View Post
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/T...of-Fame-062711

This article is an interesting perspective and I tend to agree with it. He has great numbers, some of the best. But will they carry him to the Hall of Fame? My initial thoughts were such a few number of players make it every year and guys like Cris Carter and Tim Brown still haven't made it. The Selection Committee and other retirees vote, so fans may not care about his cancerous effect, but owners/players/coaches/etc do. He has great statistics including a gutsy Super Bowl performance on a bad wheel, but also having a cancerous effect on pretty much every team he could have impacted when he was still a big time contributor (before Buffalo and Cincy). He had 3 pro bowl QBs in his prime and their primes, Jeff Garcia/Donovan McNabb/Tony Romo, and he still found ways to blow up in their face and hurt the team. U guys think the combination of great stats and destroying teams will get him in? Keep in mind only a small number of players make it every year and a good portion of their votes come from other retired players/coaches and the Selection Committee.
    BINGO

that is all that needs to be said. statwise-yes. everything else and all the baggage-no. therefore, no. he doesnt deserve to get in. of course fans will say yes because of his stats. but thats why you said the committee votes and they care about team effect which is something owens had a negative effect on.

TO hof? no.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ULT WARRIOR408 View Post
    I didn't read the post of thread,just the headline of it & to answer the question hell yeah he'll get in.This is a asinine question imo.He's a 1st ballot HOFer.

Weather you like him or not you've gotta admit that he's 1 of best WR's of all time.
    If you actually read the post, you might change your opinion.

Is Owens THAT much better than Cris Carter who has failed to get in FOUR times? How about Tim Brown? Is Owens that much better than Tim Brown? Carter and Brown were never cancers like Owens and if you read the post, you'd also know that FANS DONT CHOOSE, the Selection Committee chooses and the Committee consists of retired players and coaches and others involved in the NFL like owners. That's why I said fans may not care that he destroyed teams with his selfish attitude but the members that VOTE the players in actually do care. And I'm sure some of the voters will hold that against Owens and not vote for him because they actually care about team chemistry. They'll vote Carter and Brown in before Owens. This isn't a fan opinion question, it's a question asking realistically do you think the members of the committee and voters will choose Owens to get in? He might get in eventually, but you must be out of your mind if you think he's going to be a 1st ballot HOFer. Look at some of the names that haven't gotten in on their first try and they're way better than Owens. This has nothing to do with whether or not I like Owens or not. I'm just using my brain and being realistic.
    Last edited by hyb152; 06-27-2011 at 06:39 PM.

vCash
    this is already a recent thread minus the article

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hyb152 View Post
    If you actually read the post, you might change your opinion.

Is Owens THAT much better than Cris Carter who has failed to get in FOUR times? How about Tim Brown? Is Owens that much better than Tim Brown? Carter and Brown were never cancers like Owens and if you read the post, you'd also know that FANS DONT CHOOSE, the Selection Committee chooses and the Committee consists of retired players and coaches and others involved in the NFL like owners. That's why I said fans may not care that he destroyed teams with his selfish attitude but the members that VOTE the players in actually do care. And I'm sure some of the voters will hold that against Owens and not vote for him because they actually care about team chemistry. They'll vote Carter and Brown in before Owens. This isn't a fan opinion question, it's a question asking realistically do you think the members of the committee and voters will choose Owens to get in? He might get in eventually, but you must be out of your mind if you think he's going to be a 1st ballot HOFer. Look at some of the names that haven't gotten in on their first try and they're way better than Owens. This has nothing to do with whether or not I like Owens or not. I'm just using my brain and being realistic.
    He'll get in & in funny twist of I feel that his character will help him get in.

vCash

Took the words right out of my mouth

Quote Originally Posted by SportsFanatic10 View Post
    this is already a recent thread minus the article
    I was was gonna say the same thing.How much you wanna bet they'll like 2 more threads like this?

vCash
    there's no way in hell that Owens is better than guys like Carter and Rod Smith as far as being clutch goes these 2 guys made plays for their team when it really mattered most in the regular season and during the playoffs. Owens goes out there to play for himself not the team

Props To CheapTrikz For The Sig

vCash
    Yes he will

vCash
    He better. He's a top 5 WR to every play IMO. I'm biased, I didn't see some of the old old greats play. But T.O was an animal and as a matter of fact, he's still good.

vCash
    He'll make it definitely but not first ballot. You see how hard it is/was for Irvin, Carter, Brown, Reed to get in and Irvin got in on his 3rd try. The league has been WR oriented for years now so the numbers are somewhat skewed. TO, Harrison, Holt, Bruce will get in but will have to wait a couple of years.

12. 06-27-2011, 11:25 PM

vCash
    Lol you guys ask some stupid *** questions. Will TO make the HOF...lol. I'm thinking mods need to review some of these threads before they are allowed to be posted.

The saddest part about this is there are actually posters believing he won't get in....

Here's a fun fact. No matter how much you hate TO because of his attitude and whatever reason you made up to hate him. He's going to get in the HOF. Attitude doesn't get somone in/out of the NFL.

Besides the media hyped up TO's attitude more than anything. ESPN/media will focus on anything to get a story. If TO was soooo terrible and hard to work with and such a cancer, then he wouldn't be in the NFL. He ESP wouldn't be in the NFL now while he's past his prime.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Crom-Vis View Post
    there's no way in hell that Owens is better than guys like Carter and Rod Smith as far as being clutch goes these 2 guys made plays for their team when it really mattered most in the regular season and during the playoffs. Owens goes out there to play for himself not the team
    Yeah, he didn't catch 7 passes for 177 yards in the 2nd largest playoff come-from-behind-victory in NFL history with SF.

He didn't come back from a broken bone and catch 9 passes for 122 yards in the Superbowl...

Hell, he didn't have one of the clutchest and most memorable catches in Football History from Steve Young to finally beat the Packers in the playoffs...

His averages in the playoffs are nearly identical to Carter's and Smith's (some stats are better), and in the playoffs Owens has as many 100 yard games as Carter and Smith combined.

Owens is absolutely clutch and nobody works harder. He should make the HOF, he was probably the 2nd best WR of his era (behind Moss but ahead of Harrison); if that doesn't get you in the HOF is meaningless...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Yeah, he didn't catch 7 passes for 177 yards in the 2nd largest playoff come-from-behind-victory in NFL history with SF.

He didn't come back from a broken bone and catch 9 passes for 122 yards in the Superbowl...

Hell, he didn't have one of the clutchest and most memorable catches in Football History from Steve Young to finally beat the Packers in the playoffs...

His averages in the playoffs are nearly identical to Carter's and Smith's (some stats are better), and in the playoffs Owens has as many 100 yard games as Carter and Smith combined.

Owens is absolutely clutch and nobody works harder. He should make the HOF, he was probably the 2nd best WR of his era (behind Moss but ahead of Harrison); if that doesn't get you in the HOF is meaningless...
    that isnt the point though. hyb even said how good owens is. but owens has a few more hurdles to overcome than other guys who have been rejected like cris carter. carter was great too, one of the all time best receivers and he was denied 4 straight years. tim brown got rejected last year. and those two guys were never trouble makers on their team. so if they didnt get in yet, owens didnt do that much to separate himself from those two guys in terms of stats. he did however add a bunch of selfish team baggage to his rep. so i agree with hyb, i dont think the retired coaches and owners will give him enough votes on his first few tries. he might get in eventually, but the not enough owners and others in the nfl that have votes that actually count will vote for him. i like how hyb152 even said the fans opinions dont matter and they dont consider team aspects and u fans still post in here like your opinions matter. other coaches and ppl in the nfl vote and they care about team unlike the fans. that is why i agree that owens wont get enough votes to get into the hof

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by macc View Post
    Lol you guys ask some stupid *** questions. Will TO make the HOF...lol. I'm thinking mods need to review some of these threads before they are allowed to be posted.

The saddest part about this is there are actually posters believing he won't get in....

Here's a fun fact. No matter how much you hate TO because of his attitude and whatever reason you made up to hate him. He's going to get in the HOF. Attitude doesn't get somone in/out of the NFL.

Besides the media hyped up TO's attitude more than anything. ESPN/media will focus on anything to get a story. If TO was soooo terrible and hard to work with and such a cancer, then he wouldn't be in the NFL. He ESP wouldn't be in the NFL now while he's past his prime.
    the media hyped his attitude up? just ask 3 pro bowl QB's jeff garcia, tony romo, and mcnabb. even steve young and jerry rice said when he was a young player with sf, he was humble, then all of a sudden things changed and hurt the niners team. young and rice both said that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast