Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 15 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Dahh Sneak View Post
    There's absolutely no reason to bring those freshman in. Riddick and Jones are really good receivers but Rees is really incompetent right now. He has the weapons at his disposal but he sucks at going through his progression. I'm officially on the Crist bandwagon.
    They are both undersized. Riddick is fine in the slot but since Rees isn't mobile and lacks arm strength and accuracy maybe bigger targets could help? Clearly Pitt had no fear of doubling Floyd and taking their chances that Rees wouldn't get the ball to his smaller wideouts one on one. When Rees couldn't get the ball to Floyd where did he end up going? To Eifert his 6-6 TE. I think Daniels is probably still learning the playbook and I wouldn't expect him to start over Jones. But I wouldn't mind seeing him get a few snaps.

I'm amazed Kelly hasn't given Crist another shot. Rees has done well on about 5 drives this year. He's young and learning but is he really the QB of the future for ND? I can't picture BK running his offense with Rees behind center for the next 2 and a half years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry34 View Post
    They are both undersized. Riddick is fine in the slot but since Rees isn't mobile and lacks arm strength and accuracy maybe bigger targets could help? Clearly Pitt had no fear of doubling Floyd and taking their chances that Rees wouldn't get the ball to his smaller wideouts one on one. When Rees couldn't get the ball to Floyd where did he end up going? To Eifert his 6-6 TE. I think Daniels is probably still learning the playbook and I wouldn't expect him to start over Jones. But I wouldn't mind seeing him get a few snaps.

I'm amazed Kelly hasn't given Crist another shot. Rees has done well on about 5 drives this year. He's young and learning but is he really the QB of the future for ND? I can't picture BK running his offense with Rees behind center for the next 2 and a half years.
    Ok I could definitely understand that - if he was making an attempt to get Jones and Riddick into the game. He's not at all. No way is Rees the guy going forward. BK gushes over Hendrix every chance he gets and goddamnit I would like to see a successful playmaking QB at Notre Dame. Crist cannot do worse and he reads a defense better.

vCash
    Ok I could definitely understand that - if he was making an attempt to get Jones and Riddick into the game. He's not at all. No way is Rees the guy going forward. BK gushes over Hendrix every chance he gets and goddamnit I would like to see a successful playmaking QB at Notre Dame. Crist cannot do worse and he reads a defense better.
    where do you see that? have you not paid attention when crist has played? why do you think he's not starting? it's due to his lack of being able to read defenses. he's a mental midget. i agree crist has the physical tools, but clearly the offense is way over his head.

this was rees's 7th start as a qb and you want to throw him under the bus. c'mon let's get real here. his stats are pretty darn good in spite of the turnovers.

do you realize that this team has just as many turnovers as the '77 national champs team with guess who at qb.....joe montana. i'm not saying rees is montana, but he's clearly our guy to lead us no matter how bad it looks. he stepped up when neeeded to and won the game. that shows character.

have you not considered the play calling? bk & molnar didn't do rees in favors as well with the play calling. granted it's a read by the qb and he's given audibles....but truly think rees wasn't given the environment to succeed. i'm not saying he didn't screw up, but most of the plays called were bad.

and one last thing...we played a team that had nothing to lose and everything to gain. that's a tough animal to deal with no matter who you are. on the road too....i'm glad we got the W, that's all that matters.

bk's got these boys getting better each week. i'm proud of them and i truly feel that rees is the man until hendrix and golson show bk they are ready. and that could be sometime later in the season.
    Cheers,
    --Tank

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tankjeep View Post
    where do you see that? have you not paid attention when crist has played? why do you think he's not starting? it's due to his lack of being able to read defenses. he's a mental midget. i agree crist has the physical tools, but clearly the offense is way over his head.

this was rees's 7th start as a qb and you want to throw him under the bus. c'mon let's get real here. his stats are pretty darn good in spite of the turnovers.

do you realize that this team has just as many turnovers as the '77 national champs team with guess who at qb.....joe montana. i'm not saying rees is montana, but he's clearly our guy to lead us no matter how bad it looks. he stepped up when neeeded to and won the game. that shows character.

have you not considered the play calling? bk & molnar didn't do rees in favors as well with the play calling. granted it's a read by the qb and he's given audibles....but truly think rees wasn't given the environment to succeed. i'm not saying he didn't screw up, but most of the plays called were bad.

and one last thing...we played a team that had nothing to lose and everything to gain. that's a tough animal to deal with no matter who you are. on the road too....i'm glad we got the W, that's all that matters.

bk's got these boys getting better each week. i'm proud of them and i truly feel that rees is the man until hendrix and golson show bk they are ready. and that could be sometime later in the season.
    First off if Rees was playing now with the same defense that Crist had during the early part of last season I think there would be a lot more pressure on Rees. The defense keeps this team in games so that Rees has a chance to win the game with basically only leading the team on one complete drive the entire game. I'm not going to make a lot of excuses for Crist but the fact that he only got one half of football to prove himself this year is pretty bad, especially considering Rees has turned the ball over so much.

Secondly you really think the team is getting better each week? Seemed like they took a step back this week. The defense is still solid but the offense looked terrible.

vCash
    I just wonder if we are having a "growing pains" sort of year with the QB position, where we are accepting of mistakes is Rees really the guy we want getting all these reps? I can remember the underclassman years of Quinn and Clausen but you knew they had potential to be great some day. Rees has the potential to be a solid college QB but his ceiling is no where near Hendrix or Golsen. That's the downside of the "win now" pressure on college coaches. Rees gives us the best shot at winning the next game and that's why he is playing right now.

vCash
    I didn't mean to say that. I meant he looks for the open receiver.

**** yea I wanna throw him under the bus. FINALLY we have a defense that is capable of stopping people. We shutdown Denard Robinson, Kirk Cousins and the almighty running game of MSU, and kept USF in check and held them to field goals when they were given great field position. This defense deserves better. Given the fact Kelly is supposed to be this QB guru, Rees has digressed from last season.

Yes I knew that because I'm 80% sure we both go on IE. He can't clearly be the guy to lead the team when he's turning the ball over like he's the '10 version of Eli.

Def. think you're reaching here. Any play that's called looks bad when the QB only looks at 1 or 2 of his receivers.

How can you say that? The penalties and turnovers have been consistent throughout the four games.

I'm not going to make a lot of excuses for Crist but the fact that he only got one half of football to prove himself this year is pretty bad, especially considering Rees has turned the ball over so much.
    This is totally how I feel.

Secondly you really think the team is getting better each week? Seemed like they took a step back this week. The defense is still solid but the offense looked terrible.
    Yep.

I just wonder if we are having a "growing pains" sort of year with the QB position, where we are accepting of mistakes is Rees really the guy we want getting all these reps? I can remember the underclassman years of Quinn and Clausen but you knew they had potential to be great some day. Rees has the potential to be a solid college QB but his ceiling is no where near Hendrix or Golsen. That's the downside of the "win now" pressure on college coaches. Rees gives us the best shot at winning the next game and that's why he is playing right now.
    Well it's ******** how the constant we've had on our team for almost 10 years is now the thing keeping us back! Kelly is supposed to be this ****ing master at teaching guys how to play some football! I don't want to accept the mistakes Rees is making because the fact of the matter is - we win that Michigan game if a) Gary Gray injured himself coming off of the team bus or b) if Rees doesn't ****ing have the ball magically pop out of his hand in the red zone. Playing like **** for 3˝ quarters and making the same mistakes you have means you're not the number 1 option at QB on this football team.

vCash
    Rees gets rocked and none of the OL go back and help him up. Very discouraging.
    And this bothers me more than the turnovers. Your QB just stood in the pocket and took 1 to the chin because you can't block, delivered a rocket for a 3rd down and you're more concerned with moving up the field to the huddle than you are with protecting your guy. Something isn't right here.

vCash
    **** yea I wanna throw him under the bus. FINALLY we have a defense that is capable of stopping people. We shutdown Denard Robinson, Kirk Cousins and the almighty running game of MSU, and kept USF in check and held them to field goals when they were given great field position. This defense deserves better. Given the fact Kelly is supposed to be this QB guru, Rees has digressed from last season.
    this is one bad game in his short career and he's still 6-1 as a starter, correct? and don't give me....we are winning in spite of him crap. before this game vs pitt tommy played great with a few exceptions in turnovers. and now people are quick to want him replaced. proposterous.

and i'm not stretching on the playcalling. it was awful. and we played a team that obviously showed they were well prepared, with nothing to lose (everybody and their mother was calling a blowout in our favor) and everything to gain. they played loose and carefree. that's a tough team to play. they weren't that good of a team, but as usual most teams step up big time vs. ND.

we can agree to disagree, but i still think based on crist's inability to handle the pressure and that he clearly doesn't grasp the offense under pressure (he's strictly a practice player).....rees is going to be our man until golso/hendrix show they are worthy of reps. look how crist self imploded against USF. after gray's fumble, forget about it.....crist's mental midget tendencies showed up. hence him being replaced.
    Cheers,
    --Tank

vCash
    First off if Rees was playing now with the same defense that Crist had during the early part of last season I think there would be a lot more pressure on Rees. The defense keeps this team in games so that Rees has a chance to win the game with basically only leading the team on one complete drive the entire game. I'm not going to make a lot of excuses for Crist but the fact that he only got one half of football to prove himself this year is pretty bad, especially considering Rees has turned the ball over so much.

they won on the road against a team that had nothing to lose. and you know as well as i do, every team brings their best against ND....especially at home. one game does not define a player. crist has had problems with this offense from day one and his mental meltdowns are nothing new. plus, kelly's with these kids practically every day. being a coach myself, i know how to read if a kid is a baller or a pretender. and crist is a pretender. don't get me wrong, i like crist.....but i think he may be done at ND.

the future is in golson or hendrix.
    Cheers,
    --Tank

vCash

Yes I knew that because I'm 80% sure we both go on IE. He can't clearly be the guy to lead the team when he's turning the ball over like he's the '10 version of Eli.
    another IE brother.....gotta love that place. he's our qb, deal with it. kelly's made the decision to stick with him and as many people have said (mainly bk).....rees is a work in progress.
    Cheers,
    --Tank

vCash
    they won on the road against a team that had nothing to lose. and you know as well as i do, every team brings their best against ND....especially at home. one game does not define a player. crist has had problems with this offense from day one and his mental meltdowns are nothing new. plus, kelly's with these kids practically every day. being a coach myself, i know how to read if a kid is a baller or a pretender. and crist is a pretender. don't get me wrong, i like crist.....but i think he may be done at ND.

the future is in golson or hendrix.
    Well I'll put it this way. I couldn't stand how inaccurate Crist was last year and Rees really stepped in and played well when the defense also put Notre Dame in a position to win games and not have to put a lot of points on the board (for the first time in about a decade). I would have no problem with Rees playing if he didn't turn the damn ball over so much. He has 6 picks in 4 games this year and a couple of pretty bad fumbles to go with it.

A lot of players in Crist's position are mental midgets. He was only healthy last year when ND was getting torched on defense so every mistake he made was magnified because they needed to score more points. Then this season Notre Dame is playing probably one of the most comical first half's I've seen in a college game and he throws a terrible pick and makes a few other bad throws. I'll agree Crist probably has no confidence right now, but most QB's wouldn't in his situation. I still think his sample size is small and skewered.

vCash
    Well I'll put it this way. I couldn't stand how inaccurate Crist was last year and Rees really stepped in and played well when the defense also put Notre Dame in a position to win games and not have to put a lot of points on the board (for the first time in about a decade). I would have no problem with Rees playing if he didn't turn the damn ball over so much. He has 6 picks in 4 games this year and a couple of pretty bad fumbles to go with it.

A lot of players in Crist's position are mental midgets. He was only healthy last year when ND was getting torched on defense so every mistake he made was magnified because they needed to score more points. Then this season Notre Dame is playing probably one of the most comical first half's I've seen in a college game and he throws a terrible pick and makes a few other bad throws. I'll agree Crist probably has no confidence right now, but most QB's wouldn't in his situation. I still think his sample size is small and skewered.

but is it really? we saw plenty of it last season where he had (as others on IE like to point out) that "deer in headlights" look when the pressure was ramped up. any time we've been up and ahead where we clearly were the better team, crist is the man. but when something goes wrong and we are behind the eight ball....time & time again, crist folds under pressure. it's well known and his sample size has been enough for us to see that he's no good under pressure.

now, i'm not defending tommy rees's turnovers at all. they stink and he needs to definitely work on correcting them. but when we are down and (seem to be) out of it, he finds a way to comeback and pull out a win (not all the time but he's given us chance). and you saw that against pitt on the drive to put us up 13-12, then to convert a very important 2 point conversion shows that he's got a short term memory and focuses.

i'm not saying he's our future at qb, but what is our better alternative? i think once golson and hendrix prove to bk they are worthy and ready to play big time college football, they'll see plenty of action.
    Cheers,
    --Tank

vCash
    but is it really? we saw plenty of it last season where he had (as others on IE like to point out) that "deer in headlights" look when the pressure was ramped up. any time we've been up and ahead where we clearly were the better team, crist is the man. but when something goes wrong and we are behind the eight ball....time & time again, crist folds under pressure. it's well known and his sample size has been enough for us to see that he's no good under pressure.

now, i'm not defending tommy rees's turnovers at all. they stink and he needs to definitely work on correcting them. but when we are down and (seem to be) out of it, he finds a way to comeback and pull out a win (not all the time but he's given us chance). and you saw that against pitt on the drive to put us up 13-12, then to convert a very important 2 point conversion shows that he's got a short term memory and focuses.

i'm not saying he's our future at qb, but what is our better alternative? i think once golson and hendrix prove to bk they are worthy and ready to play big time college football, they'll see plenty of action.
    I don't really disagree with much of what you're saying. I just think the "deer in the headlights" thing has a lot to do with the look on his face after he was pulled against S. Florida this year. He made clutch plays in the Michigan game last year and threw 4 TD's against MSU, with one terrible pick. Stanford was a way better team and I'll admit he played bad against Navy even though I don't remember that game very well for some reason.

Here's my point basically: Notre Dame scored 31 points against MSU the last two years. The difference in those games is that the defense held the Spartans to 13 this year but gave up 34 last year. If the defense steps up at all last year do we even remember Crists interception or Floyd's fumble in that game? Rees has been very clutch in his last minute drives this year, but the defense has overcome turnovers to keep us in the game so those drives matter?

vCash
    I don't really disagree with much of what you're saying. I just think the "deer in the headlights" thing has a lot to do with the look on his face after he was pulled against S. Florida this year. He made clutch plays in the Michigan game last year and threw 4 TD's against MSU, with one terrible pick. Stanford was a way better team and I'll admit he played bad against Navy even though I don't remember that game very well for some reason.

Here's my point basically: Notre Dame scored 31 points against MSU the last two years. The difference in those games is that the defense held the Spartans to 13 this year but gave up 34 last year. If the defense steps up at all last year do we even remember Crists interception or Floyd's fumble in that game? Rees has been very clutch in his last minute drives this year, but the defense has overcome turnovers to keep us in the game so those drives matter?

i hear ya. and can't say that we disagree that much......just a wee bit. haha, i kid i kid.

go IRISH!!!!!
    Cheers,
    --Tank

vCash
    Minutes away.
    You're talking to me all wrong... It's the wrong tone. You do it again and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron. Hey, tell me, does your mother sew? BOOM. Get her to sew that!

Page 15 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast