Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 531
  1. #136
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Northwest Arkansas
    Posts
    54,426
    vCash
    1500
    You can't make that many mistakes and expect to win against a solid team like USF. Tough loss, but not a season killer unless you really thought Notre Dame was a title contender.

  2. #137
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,806
    vCash
    1500
    I still think we can get into a BCS bowl, this might be what Kelly uses to whip them back into form.
    Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose.






  3. #138
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,139
    vCash
    1470
    The same phrase kept resonating in my head all game, from the Grey fumble to Ruffer's missed kick. "Nightmare Scenario". Marching down the field on the opening drive and having the other team return a fumble or a TD the other way is probably one the biggest momentum swings you can have in football. But the assortment of ways that ND gave that game away is just mind boggling.

    I don't care about the BCS. How about beating Michigan? Everybody got hyped up on a team that didn't know who was going to start at QB till a few weeks ago.

    The penalties were pretty awful as well.

  4. #139
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    NE Penna (God's Country)
    Posts
    26,498
    vCash
    1500
    Kelly needs to get his head out of his ***....very poor coaching job, the turnovers cost us the game and our special teams even sucked....

    ...it kinda blew feeling that after two quarters of play that they had no shot at the national title....

    doom & gloom? perhaps. But, I will be there for the next game (and all others) cheering them on with passion...

  5. #140
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    26,047
    vCash
    500
    Notre Dame thoroughly outplayed USF. They pretty much moved the ball down the field every drive, especially when Rees was in. Just too many stupid mistakes, probably left 24 points on the field. This is a damn good football team though. I'd be excited if I was a ND fan, program finally is starting to look up.

  6. #141
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Arvada, Colorado
    Posts
    17,867
    vCash
    653
    You can't turn the ball over multiple times before scoring. Too many idiotic mistakes. I think we stick with Rees. Call me crazy, but he looked bigger to me this year compared to last.

  7. #142
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Home of the LW Champ.. Toms River, NJ!
    Posts
    6,213
    vCash
    4200
    Never would I have anticipated Crist playing like that. He has a great heart coming back like this, but jesus ****ing christ.

  8. #143
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,378
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry34 View Post
    The same phrase kept resonating in my head all game, from the Grey fumble to Ruffer's missed kick. "Nightmare Scenario". Marching down the field on the opening drive and having the other team return a fumble or a TD the other way is probably one the biggest momentum swings you can have in football. But the assortment of ways that ND gave that game away is just mind boggling.

    I don't care about the BCS. How about beating Michigan? Everybody got hyped up on a team that didn't know who was going to start at QB till a few weeks ago.

    The penalties were pretty awful as well.
    I just don't want this to be high expectations leading to nothing again. I honestly think this team is BCS caliber. See that first drive. They really are good. More discipline (which I can assure you won't happen again with Kelly there) and we can salvage a 10 win season.

    That USF game was SCARILY similar to Navy circa 2009. We were 6-2, needed to win out to go BCS bowl bound and went down the wayside thanks to a game exactly like this one. Clausen threw it off Floyd's back for an INT in the Red Zone IIRC

  9. #144
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,806
    vCash
    1500
    Rees did look bigger than last season. He also has more confidence.

    Part of me hopes we go with Crist one more time, just because he is a senior and has great potential. But I also understand that Rees may be better.
    Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose.






  10. #145
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,139
    vCash
    1470
    Quote Originally Posted by chicagofan71 View Post
    I just don't want this to be high expectations leading to nothing again. I honestly think this team is BCS caliber. See that first drive. They really are good. More discipline (which I can assure you won't happen again with Kelly there) and we can salvage a 10 win season.

    That USF game was SCARILY similar to Navy circa 2009. We were 6-2, needed to win out to go BCS bowl bound and went down the wayside thanks to a game exactly like this one. Clausen threw it off Floyd's back for an INT in the Red Zone IIRC
    I guess it just annoys me that everybody looks so far ahead in College versus the NFL where it seems more week to week. The problem with Notre Dame's schedule is that year in and year out every game is pretty much winnable (as long as USC isn't paying kids). So it's easy to look at the schedule and start adding up the W's, but if you look back over the last decade how many times should ND have beaten UM, MSU, Stanford and Pitt? Probably about 95% of the time. But I'm guessing that record came out around .500 or maybe lower.

    So call me crazy but I'm worried about beating Michigan this week and Michigan only.

  11. #146
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,139
    vCash
    1470
    It's sort of funny if you look back a few pages in this thread at some of our worries about the USF game. Unfortunately those worries came to fruition.

  12. #147
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hampton, Va.
    Posts
    5,150
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by NYMetros View Post
    Notre Dame thoroughly outplayed USF. They pretty much moved the ball down the field every drive, especially when Rees was in. Just too many stupid mistakes, probably left 24 points on the field. This is a damn good football team though. I'd be excited if I was a ND fan, program finally is starting to look up.
    thanks nymetros, i completely agree. i think bk's got these guys headed in the right direction, but execution was the issue and crist looked completely frazzled after that fumble for the usf TD. he wasn't accurate and when he did throw it near a wr, it was either behind them or thrown too hard. i think he deserved to be pulled.

    i like crist too, but what people don't realize is that two years in a row he's had to fight back from injury. and in doing so, he's lost valuable development time. all i can say is that he must be a great practice player, but just can't take the pressure during the games. he needs more reps to get that confidence back, but that's highly unlikely with rees getting the starting nod.

    one more thing that kind of bothered me.....brian kelly's demeanor on the sidelines. at some point a coach needs to figure out a way to stop the bleeding. bk exacerbated it with his tirades. as a coach, you have to be the calm before during the storm. oh well.

    the season isn't dead just yet. GO IRISH!!!!
    Cheers,
    --Tank

  13. #148
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,139
    vCash
    1470
    I sort of feel like Crist is getting a raw deal. I mean when he struggled last year the defense was also struggling. And judging a guy on one half of football especially when the entire team seemed to be producing a blooper reel Saturday is pretty tough. I think Crist has caught some tough breaks in his career but injuries are a part of football. Last year was Crist's season to iron out the kinks and get past all the growing pains of being a college starter. Unfortunately he missed crucial time and with the expectations coming into this year ND is in win every snap/zero room for error mode.

  14. #149
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hampton, Va.
    Posts
    5,150
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry34 View Post
    I sort of feel like Crist is getting a raw deal. I mean when he struggled last year the defense was also struggling. And judging a guy on one half of football especially when the entire team seemed to be producing a blooper reel Saturday is pretty tough. I think Crist has caught some tough breaks in his career but injuries are a part of football. Last year was Crist's season to iron out the kinks and get past all the growing pains of being a college starter. Unfortunately he missed crucial time and with the expectations coming into this year ND is in win every snap/zero room for error mode.
    jerry, i'd agree with you if rees came in and laid an egg, but instead the offense looked more fluid with rees in there. crist just isn't making the proper reads and it's leading to problems in stalled drives or turnovers.

    read the article below:

    http://irish.nbcsports.com/2011/09/0...daynes-throws/

    it gives a good/solid point of view on way crist had to be pulled.
    Cheers,
    --Tank

  15. #150
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,806
    vCash
    1500
    I think Kelly has this team in the right direction, the USF game was simply a growing pain that this team is going through.
    Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose.






Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •