Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Bye-teams as a factor for fairness in regards to BCS scheduling

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, this is totally fair

1 33.33%
  • No, I think this a total aberration

2 66.67%

Bye Week Opponents

Alright, so Tennessee is the third bye week team Alabama has faced in three weeks (yeah, you read that right, the third; as in, they've played against three opponents that have had roughly two weeks to prepare for them, consecutively).

Meanwhile, Boise State has yet to face a team that has rested for more than a week, withstanding the current win-loss record of the opponents they've played/are going to play; 40-41 (I already went over strength of schedule last week) and yet they're ranked third (second in poll results)?

Do you think this is fair? Shouldn't things like this be taken into consideration by analysts? Elaborate?

Don't forget to vote btw.

Wah, wah, wah. Iowa State had the exact same thing. Stop crying about it.

Nobody's crying.

Instead of trolling, why don't you collaborate to the thread. Iowa State went through the same thing right? So do you think it's fair Big-12, Pac-10, SEC teams have more arduous schedules (not just in terms of the caliber opponents they see, but in terms of game scheduling too)?

Btw, in contrast, Boise will be getting two bye-weeks of their own, while Alabama's three final opponents will all see bye-weeks before having to play the former champs (SEC leader Auburn included).
    Last edited by Dré; 10-23-2010 at 08:58 PM.

I think it certainly should be accounted for especially under those circumstances where you play 6 or more BCS conference opponents coming off bye weeks. Each of those teams had extra time to prepare, are 100% rested and have less injuries than they would under normal circumstances. Anybody that says it isn't a factor is an idiot.

Marcus Mariota

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    Anybody that says it isn't a factor is an idiot.
    ^this.

It certainly helps the teams coming off of the bye weeks. How the SEC allowed this type of lopsided scheduling is beyond me. Absolutely stupid. Should this impact the polls and who plays for the NC? Not one bit. If it does, I hope the MWC gives all BSU opponents a bye week before they play BSU next year. BSU will still smoke all of them and there isn't anyone BSU could play that will clarify it for the cartel. Keep in mind that BSU's SOS was stonger than Auburn up until this weekend. This didn't prevent folks from whining about SOS before today. It has been a fraud argument before. It won't surprise me when another one comes up.

Obviously bye week preparation is huge for preparing for big games, but by changing polling to consider this would be creating even more fallacies. Alabama had a very tough slate, but college football is tough and I'm not going to feel sorry for them. If Oregon loses to USC next week(USC is coming off a bye), I sure as hell won't blame it on the bye week preparation USC had.
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011

Quote Originally Posted by bradyistheman12 View Post
    Obviously bye week preparation is huge for preparing for big games, but by changing polling to consider this would be creating even more fallacies. Alabama had a very tough slate, but college football is tough and I'm not going to feel sorry for them. If Oregon loses to USC next week(USC is coming off a bye), I sure as hell won't blame it on the bye week preparation USC had.
    Thank goodness. I don't think I could take it again if Oregon fans wanted to blame the loss on the other team only being able to beat them with extra time to prepare.

Quote Originally Posted by Seppuku View Post
    Thank goodness. I don't think I could take it again if Oregon fans wanted to blame the loss on the other team only being able to beat them with extra time to prepare.
    I've heard that argument about our little game last year and I find it funny from Duck fans. Last I checked, we had the same amount of time to prepare You guys just had the better team that day.

Of course this isn't fair, but then again if Boise played Alabamas schedule they'd probally finish with three loses-- Do you really think they could go undefeated with Arkansas, Penn State, FLorida, S Car, LSU and Auburn.. I don't. The SEC is the toughest conference in the nation and that's why they get the most respect and best athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by bradyistheman12 View Post
    I've heard that argument about our little game last year and I find it funny from Duck fans. Last I checked, we had the same amount of time to prepare You guys just had the better team that day.
    I love you man (in a very manly sort of way)! You are a breath of fresh air as far as talking to Duck fans on message boards. I think the better Duck fans must hang out here. All 3 of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Holtz Lisp View Post
    Of course this isn't fair, but then again if Boise played Alabamas schedule they'd probally finish with three loses-- Do you really think they could go undefeated with Arkansas, Penn State, FLorida, S Car, LSU and Auburn.. I don't. The SEC is the toughest conference in the nation and that's why they get the most respect and best athletes.
    I don't either, but they might, and the winner of the SEC isn't required to anyway, so it's kind of a silly question. Of course, 3 loses is just absurd. The best team in the nation (arguably) is not going to drop 3 games where a lessor Alabama team only loses 1 or 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Holtz Lisp View Post
    Boise could probably go undefeated in the SEC-East (South Carolina being the only team of worth in that division right now), coupled with a favorable schedule for the season (e.g., no Bama―esp., coming off a bye-week) and it wouldn't be inconceivable to think Boise couldn't go through undefeated. Only thing would be that you have a week to prepare for the conf championship in Georgia, but even then, an undefeated team is an undefeated team.

Honestly, you're giving the SEC too much cred. While I certainly think it's a tougher conf than the ACC, Big East, Big Ten (all confs Boise could go undefeated in imo) it's not tougher to play in than the Pac-10 (soon to be Pac-12), though not far behind. It's mostly Bama's game scheduling that's gonna make this season so physically taxing for them.

When Boise and Nevada move to the MW, I think it'll make things a lot more interesting. Boise, TCU, Utah, and Nevada (if the Wolf Pack can grow from their recent success) all in one conf. The Falcons are always a team worth watching out for (very capable of performing the upset).
    Last edited by Dré; 10-25-2010 at 12:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seppuku View Post
    I love you man (in a very manly sort of way)! You are a breath of fresh air as far as talking to Duck fans on message boards. I think the better Duck fans must hang out here. All 3 of them.
    I feel like loud Duck fans sort of overshadow fans such as myself. Many of these fans just decided to be Duck fans when we started getting good in the early 2000s and have little to no idea about anything concerning college football. I've heard from more than one person on this site that they absolutely despise Duck fans, and it kind of pisses me off because we are lumped in together but it's the way it is. I may not always agree with you or others, but I try to at least take my homer glasses off from time-to-time Thanks for not lumping me in with the others.

By the way Dre, Utah is coming to the Pac-10. It will be interesting to see how that conference pans out though, it's a shame that BYU decided to go independent(They did right?) or else that conference would look even better.