Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    27,447
    vCash
    1500

    Big East Looking to Expand to 10 Teams

    Big East presidents agreed in a meeting on Tuesday that it would be in their best interests to increase Big East football membership from eight to 10 members, the conference said.

    "Today, our Board of Directors affirmed a set of key strategic initiatives, including expansion, designed to enhance membership stability and maximize our value," Big East commissioner John Marinatto said in a statement.

    Marinatto said the conference will refrain from commenting further on the expansion process.

    League sources indicated to ESPN.com Big East reporter Brian Bennett that TCU and Central Florida are the top possible outside candidates, along with Villanova. The Big East would prefer to bring in schools as football-only members so as to not add to the 16-team basketball alignment. The question for TCU is whether the Horned Frogs would be willing to join only for football, since the Mountain West likely would not allow them to stay in that conference for other sports. The issue for UCF is possible opposition from potential rival South Florida.

    A source told ESPN college football reporter Joe Schad on Wednesday that Villanova is leaning toward accepting football membership. The Big East wants an answer by the end of the year.

    TCU also is a real possibility for the Big East as there is mutual interest, multiple sources said.

    The Big East would be interested in exploring if it could stage a conference championship game with 10 teams, which would require appeal to the NCAA, a source close to the Big East discussions told Schad. Currently conferences must have 12 teams to stage a league title game.

    The Big East is interested in if the Big 12 would like to co-sponsor an appeal, though many Big 12 coaches prefer a season without it.

    The conference informed Villanova shortly before Labor Day that it wanted to add the Wildcats for football. Villanova currently plays in the Colonial Athletic Association in FCS and is ranked third in the FCS coaches' poll. Villanova won a national championship last year and is considering a move up to the Football Bowl Subdivision. If it does, that will fill one of the Big East's spots.

    "Our football evaluation is ongoing," Villanova AD Vince Nicastro told The Associated Press. "We are moving forward as quickly as we can, but not at the expense of being absolutely thorough. We still don't have a specific decision date, but it is likely to be resolved some time during this academic year."

    Villanova, which made the Final Four in 2009, has been part of the Big East basketball conference since 1980.

    The Wildcats have played at the second-tier level since 1985 and rejected an earlier offer to join the Big East in 1997. Connecticut accepted an invitation that season to start the process to move up to what was known as Division I-A.

    Sources told Bennett that "all the usual suspects" were discussed at Tuesday's meeting, and that the league has been researching potential new members for months. Former Big East member Temple is a possible backup plan if Villanova decides not to move up because the Owls play in an NFL stadium (Lincoln Financial Field) and have a home for their other teams in the Atlantic 10. Houston is further down the list, while Memphis is not being seriously considered at this time.

    While Texas schools like Houston and TCU seem like an odd fit geographically, their inclusion would allow the Big East to tap into huge television markets, as well as fertile recruiting territory.

    The Big East is currently the smallest BCS football conference. Officials did not say how expansion would affect the 16-team basketball alignment.

    The move raises the idea that expansion could lead to a split between basketball-only schools and the football members. Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Rutgers, Louisville, West Virginia, USF, Connecticut and Cincinnati all play football.

    Non-football members such as Villanova also include St. John's, Seton Hall, Marquette, DePaul, Providence and Notre Dame, which is a football independent.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5756898


    Soon...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    43,277
    vCash
    7100
    TCU, lol. That makes no sense for them geographically, or football-wise. They should just wait for a bid to a real conference, they probably aren't far off from getting into the Pac-10 or Big 12-gone-to-10. I think adding Villanova and Central Florida is much, much more likely.
    On Cam Newton:

    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    So it's official.

    This jerk off is going to be the first QB taken in the first round (or maybe the first 5) in the modern era to throw less than 300 passes at DI level. and he might go #1 overall.


    hahahahahahahahahahahaha

    Nfl scouting is a joke.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    East Lansing
    Posts
    606
    vCash
    1500
    what does adding Nova, UCF, or Memphis do for the Big East?

    I mean, outside of water down the level of play even more
    White Sox, Bears, Blackhawks, Spartans
    Go Green! Go White!

    If Pro is the opposite of Con, what is the opposite of Progress?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Hometown of Jerry Hairston
    Posts
    52,531
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    TCU, lol. That makes no sense for them geographically, or football-wise. They should just wait for a bid to a real conference, they probably aren't far off from getting into the Pac-10 or Big 12-gone-to-10. I think adding Villanova and Central Florida is much, much more likely.
    Being in the Mountain West makes no sense for TCU geographically either. If you're going be in a conference that doesn't make sense geographically, it might as well be in a automatic qualifier like the Big East.

    And there is no way in hell TCU goes to the Big XII, no way.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Alcoa, Tn
    Posts
    916
    vCash
    1500
    TCU would be dumb to make this move. The Mountain west is already a tougher conference then the Big East, plus with Boise coming its only going to up it even more. Tack on the fact its gonna cost a lot of teams, including TCU to fly across the country to play football every week. Just stay local. I would bring in Villanova and one other school then work a deal with the Big 12/soon to be Big 10 to have a Conf champ vs Conf Champ type title game at the end of the season.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Hometown of Jerry Hairston
    Posts
    52,531
    vCash
    1500
    TCU is not going to the Big XII, god damnit.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Boise State
    Posts
    4,143
    vCash
    1977
    Quote Originally Posted by NYYankees12 View Post
    TCU would be dumb to make this move. The Mountain west is already a tougher conference then the Big East, plus with Boise coming its only going to up it even more. Tack on the fact its gonna cost a lot of teams, including TCU to fly across the country to play football every week. Just stay local. I would bring in Villanova and one other school then work a deal with the Big 12/soon to be Big 10 to have a Conf champ vs Conf Champ type title game at the end of the season.
    TCU would get about 10 million more reasons per year for flying their football team across the country up to 5 times per year. I'd want BSU to do it. The difference in money for an AQ vs non-AQ, from the bowls to the TV contracts, is immense. Even being a worthless AQ team is a better financial deal than being the best of the elite an being a non-AQ. That Florida team moving from FCS to FBS is a lock for the biggest unearned upgrade in college football.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    43,277
    vCash
    7100
    Quote Originally Posted by gocubs2118 View Post
    Being in the Mountain West makes no sense for TCU geographically either. If you're going be in a conference that doesn't make sense geographically, it might as well be in a automatic qualifier like the Big East.

    And there is no way in hell TCU goes to the Big XII, no way.
    Uhh, the Mountain West geographically makes a hell of a lot more sense than the Big East does. TCU, New Mexico, Air Force, Colorado State, and Wyoming are all quite close to each other. The closest Big East team is ****ing Louisville. Tell me, please, how the Mountain West makes no sense geographically for TCU, especially compared to the Big East?

    And why won't they? Just because you don't want them there?
    On Cam Newton:

    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    So it's official.

    This jerk off is going to be the first QB taken in the first round (or maybe the first 5) in the modern era to throw less than 300 passes at DI level. and he might go #1 overall.


    hahahahahahahahahahahaha

    Nfl scouting is a joke.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Hometown of Jerry Hairston
    Posts
    52,531
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    Uhh, the Mountain West geographically makes a hell of a lot more sense than the Big East does. TCU, New Mexico, Air Force, Colorado State, and Wyoming are all quite close to each other. The closest Big East team is ****ing Louisville. Tell me, please, how the Mountain West makes no sense geographically for TCU, especially compared to the Big East?

    And why won't they? Just because you don't want them there?
    Why the hell would the Big XII want TCU? We already have 4 teams in Texas. It makes no ****ing sense.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    43,277
    vCash
    7100
    Quote Originally Posted by gocubs2118 View Post
    Why the hell would the Big XII want TCU? We already have 4 teams in Texas. It makes no ****ing sense.
    Because Fort Worth is the second biggest market out of the 5, and TCU is one of the best teams actively looking to make a move? It isn't the greatest move for the Big 12 in regards to adding a new market, but it helps the talent level. They could do a lot worse than TCU.
    On Cam Newton:

    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    So it's official.

    This jerk off is going to be the first QB taken in the first round (or maybe the first 5) in the modern era to throw less than 300 passes at DI level. and he might go #1 overall.


    hahahahahahahahahahahaha

    Nfl scouting is a joke.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    40,498
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    TCU, lol. That makes no sense for them geographically, or football-wise. They should just wait for a bid to a real conference, they probably aren't far off from getting into the Pac-10 or Big 12-gone-to-10. I think adding Villanova and Central Florida is much, much more likely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chitown Sparty View Post
    what does adding Nova, UCF, or Memphis do for the Big East?

    I mean, outside of water down the level of play even more
    I agree. I can't see what adding those teams does for the Big East. If that happens I think it should be even more of an argument for the Mountain West to be a BCS conference instead because the Big East would have such a watered down schedule.

    Quote Originally Posted by gocubs2118 View Post
    Being in the Mountain West makes no sense for TCU geographically either. If you're going be in a conference that doesn't make sense geographically, it might as well be in a automatic qualifier like the Big East.

    And there is no way in hell TCU goes to the Big XII, no way.
    That's a helluva lot closer geographically than in the Big East. The closest school for them in the Big East would be nearly 1,000 miles away. That would suck for your fans which essentially wouldn't get to go to any away games.

    Quote Originally Posted by Seppuku View Post
    TCU would get about 10 million more reasons per year for flying their football team across the country up to 5 times per year. I'd want BSU to do it. The difference in money for an AQ vs non-AQ, from the bowls to the TV contracts, is immense. Even being a worthless AQ team is a better financial deal than being the best of the elite an being a non-AQ. That Florida team moving from FCS to FBS is a lock for the biggest unearned upgrade in college football.
    They were just talking about it on the radio and saying that it would only be TCU on the football front. So they would actually get alot less in terms of the television contracts which are mostly for basketball in terms of the Big East. It's still a jump in money but not as much as people are thinking because of the 1,000+ mile trips for every game and the lowered contract shares.

    Like I said it kinda sucks for the fans but it's probably better for TCU. They become the best team in a BCS conference that is on the same level of the Mountain West where they have already proven they can consistently play top level ball. The program also gets exposure on television and in eastern markets which helps recruiting even more for the team.

    This would completely suck for Boise State. If TCU leaves they go from potentially adding 3 much tougher opponents in TCU, BYU and Utah to essentially being in a conference the exact same as the WAC but with Air Force.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •