Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,668
    vCash
    1500

    Should Yanks go after Dave Duncan?

    Dave Duncan is looking for a multi year contract and will probably be paid more than some managers currently in the league. Are you guys happy with Eiland or do we take this staff in another direction?

    We need to fix AJ and Joba and get Hughes to the next level so he might be right for the job!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    5,661
    vCash
    1500
    Be wary of these "magic" worker pitching coaches. They instill their own techniques in pitchers. Duncan has done a tremendous job taking pitchers with less stuff and turning them into productive major leaguers, but we have a staff mostly filled with power stuff, or pitchers like Pettitte who already have mastered their craft.

    I'd stick with Eiland.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    405
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Damix View Post
    Be wary of these "magic" worker pitching coaches. They instill their own techniques in pitchers. Duncan has done a tremendous job taking pitchers with less stuff and turning them into productive major leaguers, but we have a staff mostly filled with power stuff, or pitchers like Pettitte who already have mastered their craft.

    I'd stick with Eiland.
    Good point. Leo Mazzone was supposed to be some magical guru. he fizzled out with the O's. Don Cooper was supposed tp be a miracle worker after the White Sox '05 run and he fizzled out. Dave Duncan is an attractive name to be thrown in though. Somebody needs to fix AJ and Joba though. Gil Patterson is another option if they dont retain Dave Eiland

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    New Joisey
    Posts
    15,606
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by mystro810 View Post
    Good point. Leo Mazzone was supposed to be some magical guru. he fizzled out with the O's. Don Cooper was supposed tp be a miracle worker after the White Sox '05 run and he fizzled out. Dave Duncan is an attractive name to be thrown in though. Somebody needs to fix AJ and Joba though. Gil Patterson is another option if they dont retain Dave Eiland
    Mazzone was exactly who I was thinking of when I first saw this thread. Dave Duncan is a good pitching coach, but some guys just fit certain places and wouldn't be as good elsewhere. It's not like Eiland was terrible. People want to rag about AJ and Joba, but hey...Hughes had 18 wins. Next year Hughes' arm should be even better after having finally logged a full season. No more babying him and what not. Joba should probably be in the rotation, but it depends on if they have faith in him. I just don't think he fits as a reliever because it seems like he needs some time to get stretched out, plus he's become too timid to be in the pen (scared to throw strikes because when he does he gets hit hard).

    Mazzone and Cooper were supposed to be guys who would work miracles. I'm sure the Orioles are still holding out hope that'll happen...
    ^This is a REAL Nets fan^

    "The way a team plays as a whole determines its success. You may have the greatest bunch of individual stars in the world, but if they don't play together, the club won't be worth a dime."

    - Babe Ruth

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Depths of My Own Insanity
    Posts
    3,315
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Do0msday View Post
    Mazzone was exactly who I was thinking of when I first saw this thread. Dave Duncan is a good pitching coach, but some guys just fit certain places and wouldn't be as good elsewhere. It's not like Eiland was terrible. People want to rag about AJ and Joba, but hey...Hughes had 18 wins. Next year Hughes' arm should be even better after having finally logged a full season. No more babying him and what not. Joba should probably be in the rotation, but it depends on if they have faith in him. I just don't think he fits as a reliever because it seems like he needs some time to get stretched out, plus he's become too timid to be in the pen (scared to throw strikes because when he does he gets hit hard).

    Mazzone and Cooper were supposed to be guys who would work miracles. I'm sure the Orioles are still holding out hope that'll happen...
    He'll probably battle for the 5th spot in Spring Training. I hope he gets in and just goes all out in the rotation. Then the team has two very good young starters for awhile (Hughes and Joba) along with more in the minors waiting in the wings (Banuelos, Betances).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    22,920
    vCash
    1500
    I'd rather improve the actual pitching staff than the coach.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

    Trill Team

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    10,956
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    I'd rather improve the actual pitching staff than the coach.
    This.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    New Joisey
    Posts
    15,606
    vCash
    1500
    There's a good chance Joba may just be ruined for good here and needs a chance of scenery in order to gain his confidence back. I really hope Pettitte comes back and we get Lee so we won't have to worry, but oh well.
    ^This is a REAL Nets fan^

    "The way a team plays as a whole determines its success. You may have the greatest bunch of individual stars in the world, but if they don't play together, the club won't be worth a dime."

    - Babe Ruth

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,668
    vCash
    1500
    I would not be suprised to see them let Eiland go!
    Joba, AJ, Javy, Wang, IPK were all on his watch!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    New Joisey
    Posts
    15,606
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by yankees_fan_crz View Post
    I would not be suprised to see them let Eiland go!
    Joba, AJ, Javy, Wang, IPK were all on his watch!
    1.) Joba was completely misused time-after-time and that's not Eilands fault.

    2.) AJ still has the stuff, but in his case it's mental. You can't really blame Eiland for not being able to get through to AJ when I doubt even a shrink could.

    3.) Javy couldn't handle the pressure in his first stint. Hell, Eiland wasn't even on the team at the time. Javy struggled under Mel Stottlemyre.

    4.) Ian Kennedy was very young and the fans should look in the mirror if they want anyone to blame for what he did. He started out great, but he said ONE thing and the fans went freaking crazy after him (when he said he didn't think he did that bad). After that fans wanted his blood. Stupid, stupid fans. Kennedy only worked with Eiland for about 40 innings. That's way too small of a sample size. Besides, why should anyone complain when he was used to get Curtis Granderson?

    5.) You're seriously going to complain about Wang? Every Yankee fan knows that Wang's downfall was that inter-league game vs. the Astros when he hurt his foot rounding the bases. Ever since then he wound up over compensating for his hurt foot, which lead to shoulder problems, which lead to them not keeping him. You can't blame Eiland for Wang getting hurt.

    This is just a thread where people like to complain...
    ^This is a REAL Nets fan^

    "The way a team plays as a whole determines its success. You may have the greatest bunch of individual stars in the world, but if they don't play together, the club won't be worth a dime."

    - Babe Ruth

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,542
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Do0msday View Post
    1.) Joba was completely misused time-after-time and that's not Eilands fault.

    2.) AJ still has the stuff, but in his case it's mental. You can't really blame Eiland for not being able to get through to AJ when I doubt even a shrink could.

    3.) Javy couldn't handle the pressure in his first stint. Hell, Eiland wasn't even on the team at the time. Javy struggled under Mel Stottlemyre.

    4.) Ian Kennedy was very young and the fans should look in the mirror if they want anyone to blame for what he did. He started out great, but he said ONE thing and the fans went freaking crazy after him (when he said he didn't think he did that bad). After that fans wanted his blood. Stupid, stupid fans. Kennedy only worked with Eiland for about 40 innings. That's way too small of a sample size. Besides, why should anyone complain when he was used to get Curtis Granderson?

    5.) You're seriously going to complain about Wang? Every Yankee fan knows that Wang's downfall was that inter-league game vs. the Astros when he hurt his foot rounding the bases. Ever since then he wound up over compensating for his hurt foot, which lead to shoulder problems, which lead to them not keeping him. You can't blame Eiland for Wang getting hurt.

    This is just a thread where people like to complain...
    How many threads do we have in this forum that no one complains?

    Any pitching coach can impart the best training and advice, but at the end of the day, they're not the one who goes on the mound and pitches. Or, in the case of Wang, I doubt it's even Dave Eiland's responsibility to teach him how to properly run the base paths, or round the bases.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Alcoa, Tn
    Posts
    916
    vCash
    1500
    The only way Joba is competing for a starting rotation job is if Pettitte doesnt come back. Our Rotation is pretty much set of CC, AJ, Phil, Andy and Lee. I know nothing is promised with Lee but I really cant fathom how NY doesnt go all out on him like they did CC.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    52,937
    vCash
    1500
    the pitching coach is not AJ burnetts problem. he is not fixable.
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

    1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    1,814
    vCash
    1500
    Duncan will be switching leagues especially in to the AL East as well that is stressful.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    4,991
    vCash
    1500
    ^ nice sig. I wouldnt do it, it would be costly and Eiland is good, the pitching just had an off season

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •