Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Is Cashman a Good GM?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 29.17%
  • No

16 33.33%
  • He's average

18 37.50%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Not only does he have more resources than everyone else, He also doesn't ALWAYS make the final decision, it really is almost impossible to judge his abilities.

I don't even fault him for some bad signings, When you have as much resources as he does, You can take a ton of risks, so why not??

vCash
    He's too hand-cuffed by the Ownership. They wanted Giambi, Sheff instead of Vlad, Randy Johnson, etc.. They gave Bernie Williams his crazy deal when it was rumored he might go to Boston.

They wanted to give Rafael Soriano that awful deal. I'm pretty sure they had a hand in that ******** deal A-Rod got.

In the past few years Cashman has made some good moves. The Bobby Abreu trade was good. The Swisher trade was great. I think we will end up being the victors in the Granderson trade. The Vasquez trade was a strikeout but we needed pitching at the moment. I'd love Vizcaino back. The Nick Johnson signing was a great signing at the time but injuries ****ed that up. Cashman has built a top 5 farm system in baseball. With power arms, athletic OF's and high potential catchers up and down the system.

He has expressed a desire to manage a low-budget team. A NL team more specifically. So lets see what happens if and when his contract is up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan4life View Post
    In the past few years Cashman has made some good moves. The Bobby Abreu trade was good. The Swisher trade was great. I think we will end up being the victors in the Granderson trade. The Vasquez trade was a strikeout but we needed pitching at the moment. I'd love Vizcaino back. The Nick Johnson signing was a great signing at the time but injuries ****ed that up. Cashman has built a top 5 farm system in baseball. With power arms, athletic OF's and high potential catchers up and down the system.
    I get what you mean, but that's like banging a hooker raw dog and saying, "It felt great at the time, but herpes ****ed that up."

It was inevitable. The dude is made of glass.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuckus View Post
    I get what you mean, but that's like banging a hooker raw dog and saying, "It felt great at the time, but herpes ****ed that up."

It was inevitable. The dude is made of glass.
    I know. Getting a dude that was coming of a .426 OBP season (133 games) for about 5 mill was a decent investment, IMO. Especially considering he'd be a DH and not a 1B. I don't think that can be Cashman's fault though.

Point is, I don't know if he's a good or bad GM. I can't make an accurate judgment. I don't know how he'd do with a team like Oakland. I don't know if he'd do well in a small-market team. I like that he's gotten us a very respectable farm system in recent years. I like some of his recent transactions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan4life View Post
    I know. Getting a dude that was coming of a .426 OBP season (133 games) for about 5 mill was a decent investment, IMO. Especially considering he'd be a DH and not a 1B. I don't think that can be Cashman's fault though.
    I just wanted to make that joke, really. It was a nice low-risk signing for them, definitely, and if he'd defied the odds and stayed healthy it would have worked out amazingly.

It really is a shame he's held together by chewing gum and popsicle sticks. Hell of a hitter.

vCash
    I have always given him a C+. Some good moves, some bad moves, he seems to do the best he can with the information and resources he has....and he also seems to not have as much control as other GM's in the league may have (Soriano signing for example).

Slightly better than average.

vCash
    Bartolo Colon with his 7th SO against the Blue Jays tonight, Freddy Garcia pitched six innings of shutout ball against the Rangers, and Russell Martin has been great behind the plate and bat in hand.

All he does is hand out blank checks

vCash
    Cashman is allowed to take many more risks, so of course he's going to swing a miss more than other GMs. I think he's average and can't be considered more because of the advantage he has.

vCash
    imo he is either a huge moron or a huge *****
    Jackie Bradley Junior.... that is all

vCash
    thumps up for your article, great post... Baby Wear

vCash
    They don't call him the Cash Man for nothing.

vCash
    Brian Cashman is an average GM. There is almost no scale or anyway to judge a good GM as people have mentioned. For what it is worth he has a ton of money to spend, and spends it. Every GM has trades and signings blow up in there face. It seems fair to compare Cashman to Theo because they have a lot of similarities in amount of money to spend, playing in big market cities, etc. Certainly the signings on guys like Carl Pavano, and Ki Igawa didn't pay off for the Yankees, neither did the signings of Rafael Soriano (so far) and to some degree AJ Burnett. Theo has had his bad moves to with the signing of Dice-K and John Lackey, but has also made some very smart moves like getting an offensive machine, while in Boston, for Manny, and not re-signing Pedro or Johnny Damon. The point being is that both guys have made more good moves then bad, and they are both smart baseball minds otherwise they would not still have the job or been given it in the first place.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12