Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

When You First Started Getting Into Sabermetrics...

...how much did you reject it? How hard was it for you to give up traditional stats and theories that you grew up with?

vCash
    The first two games I ever saw was of the Astros in 1965. Jim Wynn was amazing. As I read later all these great stats by Ty Cobb, Ted Williams, I just figured that I had been wrong since I was 8 years old when I saw Wynn.

I forgot about Wynn. Then there it was in 1994. Wynn was a great player according to Bill James. I was also playing high stakes roto ball, and saw this as a way to do better (I did). Never been tempted to give it up.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    I started using Sabermetrics 3 or 4 MLB Re-Drafts ago when they had just started becoming prevalent on PSD. I was somewhat forced to adapt but I wasn't resistant whatsoever.

vCash
    I feel like I really got into it right before it became popular on PSD, and it was all because some guy named C1Bman88 kept telling me I was wrong.

I have to say, looking back, I am quite impressed at how quickly I came around despite not wanting to. As I'm very scientific and logic oriented, it all came together rather easily for me.

vCash
    It wasn't difficult for me to transition at all. I've always been interested in learning the intricacies of the game, and sabermetrics was a natural fit for me (despite the fact that I'm not naturally good with numbers at all).
    My blog- analysis of the San Francisco Giants, Baseball, and Sabermetrics.

vCash
    Once I actually did a little bit of research, I never questioned the value of sabermetrics. Pretty much all of it made sense to me and/or was stuff I'd known intuitively for years (walks are valuable, saves are dumb, etc.).

vCash
    I guess I would say at the end of 07. I bought into OBP easily (not sure if that counts here though). There was stuff I had thought about, but I never had anyone confirm it until then i.e rbi's don't tell the whole story. I still question some stuff and I think everyone on here does. I was open to hearing about this stuff.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by C1Bman88 View Post
    It wasn't difficult for me to transition at all. I've always been interested in learning the intricacies of the game, and sabermetrics was a natural fit for me (despite the fact that I'm not naturally good with numbers at all).
    IMO the allure of sabermetrics has as much or more to do with logic and a desire to connect the dots, then numbers.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    I had no issue transitioning. I was a new fan to Baseball a few years ago when I encountered Sabermetrics on this very site; during a Re-Draft.

In a matter of a week I was arguing with my friends about the in-utility of batting average and Wins.

Ever since I have literally been fascinated and fixated on Saber; I read every article FanGraphs releases and a lot of literature from other Saber sites.

(I actually encountered Gigantes, while I was drunk, in the comments section on some article about Giants Pitchers in the playoffs; Matt Cain was the subject I believe)

vCash
    I learned pretty early on that OBP and WHIP were better indicators then traditional stats, that was probably a little before I joined PSD. I didn't really start researching more advanced metrics until, C1B and Seamhead started to own me in almost every argument I got into with them so I went with the natural tendency of, if you can't beat them join them.

vCash
    Whatd you do to learn?
    The Future of The Jacksonville Jaguars
    Duuuuuuuvvvvaaaaaaaalllll

vCash
    Read. Read a lot.

I'd say this piece, for example, is one of the most important for understanding things like wOBA, LWTS, FIP, and the run values for UZR and the like:

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/ar...-runs-made-of/

I think Lee Panas' book is a fantastic resource for getting into sabermetrics as well:

http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fStoreID=873874
    My blog- analysis of the San Francisco Giants, Baseball, and Sabermetrics.

vCash
    The Book by Tom Tango, Michael Lichtman and Andrew Dolphin has been my favorite reading thus far. It's been widely read, but when I first read it I further understood a lot of the things I was struggling with.

vCash
    PSD introduced me to sabermetrics, and just listening to the way some guys on the Cubs forum explained some things made sense. I didnt really have much resistance to it, since it just plain makes sense.

Chicago Bears #23
    Kyle "Cheetah" Fuller

vCash
    I really don't like Sabermetrics. I especially don't like getting into a debate with someone who thinks Sabermetrics is the end all evidence that they are right. Because of this I had to start learning these stats to beat you stat geeks at your own game. Hahahahahaha!!!!!!!

Seriously though I do find alot of this stuff interesting. I just started messing with WAR and went onto another website that had the best single seasons for players according to WAR and enjoyed the **** out of it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast