Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vertical help

vCash

Vertical help

I got months till bball varsity tryouts, ive mad jv and freshmen and sat out junior year to make up some grades, but i really wanna get bigger faster and deff JUMP HIGHER.. any workout tips? I am getting bigger, but i need help on getting faster and jumping higher, i wanna be able to dunk in a month ( if thats a chance, right now im touching rim)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SMH! View Post
    I got months till bball varsity tryouts, ive mad jv and freshmen and sat out junior year to make up some grades, but i really wanna get bigger faster and deff JUMP HIGHER.. any workout tips? I am getting bigger, but i need help on getting faster and jumping higher, i wanna be able to dunk in a month ( if thats a chance, right now im touching rim)
    It's all in the legs my friend. To add inches to your vertical will take alot of focus on your legs.

Do Jump Squats w/ Dumbbells

Regular squats but deep (butt to calves)

Seated Calf Raises

Standing Calf Raises

Explosive Leg Presses

Lunges

You will also need to focus on your lower back as well (back in general).

Sumo Squats and Deadlifts should do the trick.
    You Too Can Achieve This When You Visit The Fitness Forum!

vCash
    Air Alert.

But you're not going to impress any coaches by jumping high. Work on your game, and hustle.

If you don't get air alert, just repeatedly run and jump and touch the rim and try standing and jumping touching the backboard repeatedly as you land on the ground.

To be honest, I think body weight jumping exercises are a lot more effective than weight training. You need to learn how to habitually jump vertically. Try squat ups, step ups, thrust ups and burn outs (jumping repeatedly on your tippy toes til your calves can't stand it)
    Last edited by MTone8788; 10-16-2010 at 01:32 AM.

vCash
    By the way, how tall are you?

vCash
    And also, if you're only touching the rim, you won't dunk in a month.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stamina View Post
    It's all in the legs my friend. To add inches to your vertical will take alot of focus on your legs.

Do Jump Squats w/ Dumbbells

Regular squats but deep (butt to calves)

Seated Calf Raises

Standing Calf Raises

Explosive Leg Presses

Lunges

You will also need to focus on your lower back as well (back in general).

Sumo Squats and Deadlifts should do the trick.
    Alright sweet, i already do the first 3, just gotta do some more, i think i need to lose more weight, i think my weight is holding me back, im 150 and 6'0. Touching rim, and yea i got nice play, im just trying to add a lil bit of flash/flare to my game, cuz its my senior year, possibly my last year of playing in a basketball league and i just wanna dunk it in a game. But yeah im getting in shape, and thanks u guys r a great help

vCash
    I don't know if losing weight is really what you want to do at 6'0'', 150. I think you should focus on on body weight exercises and a lot of explosive exercises.
    If you work on your legs and back (Like Stam said) you'll be dunking soon. Maybe not in a month, but soon enough to where you can use it in game time.

vCash
    6' 150 is pretty light. I wouldn't try to lose weight.

There's good advice here, and as a white (not that that doesn't mean I can't jump...just for image's sake) stocky former HS OLman, I don't have any advice to give...haha.

Although, I do find that doing BW (and DB added when your form is solid) squats on a BOSU ball helps build stability and overall strength pretty well. I'd suggest incorporating that some.

vCash
    Hey don't knock on linemen. I was 5'11, 250 lbs my sophomore year and i used to be able to jump and touch (and hang on to) the rim. . I can't any more though
    Not after the foot problems. .

vCash
    Also MTone is correct about bodyweight movements, I just want to clarify, I'm not suggesting you lift heavy when doing squats or leg presses. Grab a light to moderate weight and concentrate on thrust/explosive movements. This way you get the cardio workout mainly and not the mass gaining workouts. If you put on mass, kiss the dunking goodbye.
    You Too Can Achieve This When You Visit The Fitness Forum!

vCash
    Try plyometric, it really helps

Chicago Bears #23
    Kyle "Cheetah" Fuller

vCash
    Definitely don't lose weight at 6'0 150lbs... I'm barely 5'10 170lbs and I can dunk and throw down alley oops

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy951 View Post
    Hey don't knock on linemen. I was 5'11, 250 lbs my sophomore year and i used to be able to jump and touch (and hang on to) the rim. . I can't any more though
    Not after the foot problems. .
    As could I, but that was more due to having long arms. A measured 26" vertical is nothing to write home about...lmao.

And injuries suck, mayne. I feel you there (although mine were mostly knee issues in HS).

vCash
    Yeahh, i wish i would have taped my ankles before. . Thought i didn't need to. I was very wrong. .

vCash
    I've recently gained about 5 inches in vert over the past 2 months so it's fresh on my mind...

A couple things:
    1) Abs are important
    2) Sprints really help
    3) Squat, squat, squat and don't neglect your hammy's.
    4) recently started jump squats, they seem to really help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast