Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Powerblocks vs. Bowflex Selecttechs

I've been kicking around the idea of purchasing one of these dumbbells to save space. I simply can't decide between the two. Do any of you have either of these and what are your opinions of them?

They both seem to have positive and negative aspects and I was curious about real world use. I'm getting the vibe that the Powerblocks are sturdier but they look weird I'm wondering how they actually feel.

vCash
    I heard that the powerblocks hindered your wrist movement since you actually put your hand in the block. So some exercises are more difficult

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ugottabjoshinme View Post
    I heard that the powerblocks hindered your wrist movement since you actually put your hand in the block. So some exercises are more difficult
    I was thinking that from looking at them I wasn't sure if that was indeed the case. It looks pretty awkward but people love 'em.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slickg View Post
    I was thinking that from looking at them I wasn't sure if that was indeed the case. It looks pretty awkward but people love 'em.
    People love them for different reasons. Powerblocks are not geared towards your regular everyday routines. They are more geared towards hybrid training methods which can be rewarding.

If you're looking to train heavy, then you shouldn't be using powerblocks.
    You Too Can Achieve This When You Visit The Fitness Forum!

vCash
    Yeah I'm leaning more towards the selecttechs they seem more traditional looking. I'm not really looking to train too heavy I'm using them more for circuit training like P90x, etc.

vCash
    I have the select tech's and love them. I have only looked at the power blocks at Dick's sporting goods so have no real opinion on them. The select tech's have a very sturdy build and are very simple to change the weight. I use them for p90x and have been very happy with them. If you check craigslist often enough you should be able to find a pair used for a reasonable price if money is an issue since they are about $100 more than the powerblocks. You just have to check pretty often as I found the ones listed sold in a very short amount of time.
    French writer Alexis de Tocqueville warned about when visiting this fledgling democracy in the early 19th century that this "American republic will endure until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."