Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: OTAs

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    184
    vCash
    1500

    OTAs

    Anyone hear any nuggets about how the QB battle is going in OTAs? I have had a hard time finding anything on it so far.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,541
    vCash
    1500
    Nothing much to write about yet. Cassle is exactly what they expected. Nothing to get you overly impressed about, but then again, nothing to make anyone worry about either.

    People are praising the off season conditioning with EJ and his work ethic. But if you remember, people were praising him last year because he worked out all off season with Kapernick, but as we saw, that had zero effect on the field.

    As for Tyrod Taylor, WGR said that some of the teams officials have called him the most athletic QB in the league. Praising his foot work as well as his ability to throw the ball deeper down the field than any of the other QB's so far.

    My money is still on Taylor to be the QB. If Cassle is the QB, that means the game plan for the QB will be to throw minimal passes at shorter distance and to rely mostly on the run. They will realize that if that is the game plan, Tyrod can run the same plays, however his ability to run gives another dimension. At the end of the day, Rex will want a QB who can run and give defenses fits, when trying to contain him.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    10,220
    vCash
    1500
    Roman could easily run an offense like Seattle if Tyrod wins the job. Run a lot, play action bootlegs, read option, deep throws, and a lot of improv.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,541
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by North Yorker View Post
    Roman could easily run an offense like Seattle if Tyrod wins the job. Run a lot, play action bootlegs, read option, deep throws, and a lot of improv.
    That's why as soon as the Bills signed him, my initial reaction was that he will be the starter.

    During this "competition" there is nothing that EJ or Cassle will do on the field, that will leave the coaches thinking, that they did it better than Tyrod. The only thing Cassle has on his side is experience in the NFL, but I think his experience translates into him being a better option as back-up, than starter. IMO, there is just no way that Roman and Rex have a game plan set and think that Cassle or EJ can perform it better.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    921
    vCash
    1500
    I feel it is unofficially Taylors job to loose. Taylor is more like kapernick than the other two and will be a perfect fit unless he screws up royally. Cassel is the odd man out because his style does not fit our new offense and I feel will be cut, and EJ has never proven anything. As far as Simms I have no clue other than maybe a 2-3 stringer.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    184
    vCash
    1500
    Yea, from the little tid-bits I have been able to find, I have heard Cassel looks the worst out of the group (not counting Simms yet) and that Taylor has had the better deep ball.

    Agreed that EJ or Taylor fit the Kaepernik mold much better than Cassel.

    Trying to read between the lines and with Rex, it seems like he may favor Taylor as well. But that just might be my beer talking.

    If it was still marrone in charge, then I think it would they would choose cassel all the way, but that might not be the case with Rex. I will always be pulling for EJ to succeed, but I bet Taylor is bringing an edge/drive to the competition that will be good to see unfold. Seems like that will motivate EJ and we will have a two-horse race.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    184
    vCash
    1500
    And for as much as I like EJ as a person, I hear Taylor took less money to come to Buffalo because he wanted to go somewhere that he had a chance to start. Taking less money for the chance to actually start on Sundays - regardless of what position you play, you got to respect that.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,541
    vCash
    1500
    Denver was the team that offered Taylor more money.

    So here is what we know. The Ravens, that have always been competing for the Super Bowl, felt confident enough to have Taylor back up Flacco. With their Super Bowl aspirations every season, they didn't try to grab a veteran QB, they felt Taylor was the guy who can step in and win.

    Rex admitted that the last few seasons, the Jets kept offering a 2nd round pick for Taylor, but Baltimore kept declining.

    Denver, another Super Bowl driven team, offers Taylor more money than the Bills, to back up Manning. Again, that is another Super Bowl caliber team that picks a young Taylor to back up their star QB, instead of trying to sign a seasoned veteran.

    Now we have the Buffalo Bills. A team that has been starving for a QB for over a decade. They have Matt Cassle and draft Bust, EJ Manual and then they sign Taylor. That should spell it out clearly to the people who think this is actually a QB competition. EJ/Cassle, do not have 1/4th of the talent Flacco and Manning have. So while Taylor was wanted by each team to backup those stars, there is no way in hell that he comes to Buffalo and has to back up the likes of EJ or Cassle. It really couldn't be spelled out any clearer.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,185
    vCash
    1500
    I'm excited to see what he can do.

    Things will always work out in the end, but if you want them to turn out a certain way... You need to make it happen.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,541
    vCash
    1500
    I love how the OTA write ups from WGR flip flop every single day. A month ago, they feltthere is a possibility that EJ was going to get released.

    Then last week, from what they saw at camp, they gave Cassle an 80% chance to start based on what they saw and gave EJ 15% chance and Tyrod 5% chance.

    A couple days later, Cassle went down to 60%, they felt Tyrod had a 25% chance to start and EJ maintaining the 15%.

    Here we are a week later and now they feel Cassle is on the verge of being cut. They wrote that his play has been very bad, not to mention, releasing him will save the cap over 4 million per season.

    The QB job will not be won at camp with these drills that they are doing. The starter will be named based on their performance during the pre season games. Only then will they know who is better. Even when the Bills traded and got Cassle, I predicted he wouldn't make it out of camp and I do think that there is a possibility he will be released within the next few weeks. In Pre Season, EJ and Tyrod will compete for the job and the newly acquired Simms was brought in here to be our 3rd stringer, being the coaches probably knew Cassle will be gone shortly.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,541
    vCash
    1500
    I dont know if anyone read the The Sporting News article or watched the NFL Network when they were talking about the article and the Bills, but I figure I will put it on here and we will see if it comes true in a month.

    They said that sources have confirmed to them that Matt Cassle has just about been officially released from the team. They said the Bills wont be accomplishing anything by cutting him now, because they are already on the hook for paying out his 100,000 work out bonus. Plus, they said with teams taking a month break, no other teams will make a move right now, therefore by letting him go now, it doesn't help Cassle or the organization. Apparently they will let him work out for the next month with the players to stay in shape and when camp continues, he will be released. They also claim that Rex Ryan and other coaches prefer Tyrod, but the front office prefers Manuel.

    As I said before, the signing of Simms spelled out that someone is getting cut soon. Simms is not a practice squad QB and many teams would want to keep him as a 3rd stringer and see if he develops, which is why Buffalo signed him. Rex wanted him as a number 3 guy, which then makes sense that thee will be a player cut soon.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    184
    vCash
    1500
    If the QB play does not get better soon, I think we seriously need to consider a move for Glennon....

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    13,173
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Smuggler View Post
    If the QB play does not get better soon, I think we seriously need to consider a move for Glennon....
    Puke!

    1934 1938 1961 2010 2013 2015

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,541
    vCash
    1500
    As I read more and more of the articles coming out now about the QB battle, it is nearly a certainty that Tyrod will be named the starter soon.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    13,173
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by sabres11 View Post
    As I read more and more of the articles coming out now about the QB battle, it is nearly a certainty that Tyrod will be named the starter soon.
    God help us.

    1934 1938 1961 2010 2013 2015

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •