Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Rex out, Whaley staying

Per Shefter, Rex will be fired at the end of the year while Whaley will stay on.

I'm fine with that. I was never a fan of Rex, but tried to give him the benefit of the doubt. The one area I thought he'd be good at, he's failed so far - defense.

Yeah he still has those great blitz packages but without a star safety his defence is vulnerable.

I think this means Tyrod stays and the team is not going to blow it up.

How many passes does Whaley get? He's been on the hot seat for several years.

1934 1938 1961 2010 2013 2015

Yeah and he hired Rex.

I've been saying this for years, playing musical coaches and front offices is terrible. We end up changing schemes and gives off bad appeareance that you have 2 seasons to succeed when we haven't in 16. I want Rex to stay one year more, unless Cowher or Jon Gruden decided to un retire and coach us, even Harbaugh. Otherwise we are going to end up with some trash coordinator, average college coach, or some old man to continue the circle of mediocrity every 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Yeah and he hired Rex.

He didn't...as weird as it is, he's never hired a coach for the Bills. Nix hired Marrone and the Pegula's chose Rex (not only did they hire him, but they made him report directly to them as well). This is probably why it never seems like he's been on the same page as the head coach. Hopefully, they do what normal teams do and allow their GM to pick the next coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    How many passes does Whaley get? He's been on the hot seat for several years.
    To be fair, only fans put him on the hot seat. Every time there was speculation about him losing his job, they were immediately dismissed. He also signed a contract extension less than a year ago.

He will officially be on the hot seat the first time he drafts a QB in the early rounds as the active GM. The Bills drafts, especially the last one, have been praised nationally. He won't lose his job if that continues to be the case as long as a QB isn't involved.
    Last edited by smood999; 12-18-2016 at 11:33 AM.

I believe Whaley should answer for the lack of depth and the effect it's had on this season.

Only a fool will look at the players he drafted and think he did a decent job drafting. So many wasted picks. A run first defensive minded team and he trades three picks for a wide receiver. Nice.

All you really need in a GM is someone who drafts well and negotiates team friendly contracts/manages the cap well. I haven't seen either of hose things from Whaley.

Quote Originally Posted by sabres11 View Post
    Only a fool will look at the players he drafted and think he did a decent job drafting. So many wasted picks. A run first defensive minded team and he trades three picks for a wide receiver. Nice.
    That wasn't our philosophy because Rex wasn't our HC then. He drafted Watkins when Marrone was HC

Quote Originally Posted by sabres11 View Post
    I guess a lot of people are fools especially after their last draft.

After further thought, I think Rex should stay another year. Two years isn't enough time and he probably will have the best record of any Bills coach in a very long time. Teams that are actually building something don't hit the reset button every 2-3 years. That actually hurts more than it helps. Just look at the Browns.

Also, was every good NFL coach good before or after they got paired with a good QB? Belichick gets fired with the Browns and then becomes one of the greatest coaches ever with Brady. Rex is no Belichick and I'm sure he was a great football mind before, but the point is that there's never been a good coach without a good QB. The Bills haven't had a good QB in 17 years. Is there a coincidence they've gone through as many coaches as they have?

Rex Ryan's QBs have been Mark Sanchez, Geno Smith, and Tyrod Taylor. He's also gone through several OCs with the Jets and Bills. Does every OC have the same exact philosophy or were they all game planning around the limitations of the QB?

I doubt firing Rex will solve anything. Teams can't go anywhere without a QB regardless of who the coach is. Blaine Gabbert gets Jack Del Rio fired in Jacksonville, but now he's an amazing coach with Derek Carr. Not a big Rex fan, but he doesn't deserve to lose his job. The most egregious thing he's done was bring in Manuel on 4th and shorts to try to draw the defense offsides? That and I hate the wildcat. The defense also has serious holes in the secondary. Is that because of coaching or personnel?
    Last edited by smood999; 12-19-2016 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by smood999 View Post
    After further thought, I think Rex should stay another year. Two years isn't enough time and he probably will have the best record of any Bills coach in a very long time. Teams that are actually building something don't hit the reset button every 2-3 years. That actually hurts more than it helps. Just look at the Browns.

Also, was every good NFL coach good before or after they got paired with a good QB? Belichick gets fired with the Browns and then becomes one of the greatest coaches ever with Brady. Rex is no Belichick and I'm sure he was a great football mind before, but the point is that there's never been a good coach without a good QB. The Bills haven't had a good QB in 17 years. Is there a coincidence they've gone through as many coaches as they have?

Rex Ryan's QBs have been Mark Sanchez, Geno Smith, and Tyrod Taylor. He's also gone through several OCs with the Jets and Bills. Does every OC have the same exact philosophy or were they all game planning around the limitations of the QB?

I doubt firing Rex will solve anything. Teams can't go anywhere without a QB regardless of who the coach is. Blaine Gabbert gets Jack Del Rio fired in Jacksonville, but now he's an amazing coach with Derek Carr. Not a big Rex fan, but he doesn't deserve to lose his job. The most egregious thing he's done was bring in Manuel on 4th and shorts to try to draw the defense offsides? That and I hate the wildcat. The defense also has serious holes in the secondary. Is that because of coaching or personnel?
    I agree Rex should have atleast one more year. If you think about it a couple breaks in a few games and we are playoff bound both years.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast