Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: When should we start (see post #92)

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • January 1st

2 50.00%
  • January 15th

2 50.00%
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Stock Market - Post Midterms Competition

I proposed an idea to BMD about a competition where we get a certain amount of "money" and we "purchase" stocks and/or commodities and try to do the best we can to make money. Probably some of you have done something like this in a math class (i did in 5th grade) and i thought it was fun. Basically you get (for instance) 2000 dollars and you can purchase any publicly traded company(ies) that you can afford with that money. Then after a certain period of time we see whose portfolio is worth the most. This isnt really "politics" but i thought that it would be a good way to have fun and it would be informative. So i wanted to gauge your opinions on how many people would be interested and possible suggestions you have.

As i said in the title, this would be held off until after the midterms because things will (theoretically) cool off.

Participants:
    Dbroncos78087
    Last edited by dbroncos78087; 10-21-2010 at 12:17 AM.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    Sounds like a fun idea, but I don't see what politics has to do with it. If nothing, then this forum is probably not the best place to hold something like that.
    "If [Republicans] were around when Columbus set sail, they must have been founding members of the Flat Earth Society." -- Pres. Barack Obama

vCash
    it's something FOR the politics users.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DodgersFan28 View Post
    Sounds like a fun idea, but I don't see what politics has to do with it. If nothing, then this forum is probably not the best place to hold something like that.
    I agree that it isnt inherently political, but i do think it will be a good way to get the entire forum more informed about financial news and the ups-and-downs of the stock market.

vCash
    I'm in. Sounds like fun. I've been thinking about doing this with a small amount of cash anyway, just for fun.

How do we proceed? Any suggestions for how to begin/ where to start for those if us not familiar?

Will also offer up to team up with someone if that helps or if they are interested.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patsfan56 View Post
    I'm in. Sounds like fun. I've been thinking about doing this with a small amount of cash anyway, just for fun.

How do we proceed? Any suggestions for how to begin/ where to start for those if us not familiar?

Will also offer up to team up with someone if that helps or if they are interested.
    I have been looking into some stock software where we can sign up, very similar to fantasy football. Also, we dont actually have to do it in the politics forum. Just as a side thing, like Yahoo or ESPN. This is one that i found, it seems to be what we would want. I dont think we would team up, i think it would be all individual, but you can definitely seek/give advice, i dont see any problem with that.

http://vse.marketwatch.com/Game/CreateNewGame.aspx

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    it's something FOR the politics users.
    Who qualifies?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanian215 View Post
    Who qualifies?
    Anyone could join, but it would mostly be politics forum users. We wont really be announcing it anywhere else. You are certainly welcome to invite or inform other users though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Anyone could join, but it would mostly be politics forum users. We wont really be announcing it anywhere else. You are certainly welcome to invite or inform other users though.
    ok

vCash
    Just two weeks, i would like to get an official signup roster. I figure about 10-12 people would be enough. So if you are interested please post your intent following this post. I dont want to sign people up who said they are interested already, but then forgot they posted. I want to ensure that people have a basic understanding, but nothing difficult. So please if you arent familar with the SEC, Dow Jones, NASDAQ, and S&P please read up on them. But there isnt a question to answer or anything like that.

Good luck, i will try to add all the names, but BMD can also do so.

vCash
    Alright, i set up the game and it begins on November 3, 2010, here is all the information you need.

Go to vse.marketwatch.com

Game ID: ProSportsDaily
    Game Name: PSD Politics Forum 2011
    Password: politics

I hope we get a good number of people interested in this.

vCash
    Sounds like fun. Can't wait!

vCash
    No one has signed up so i want to bring this back up.

vCash
    It sounds like fun... but if I knew how to make money in the stock market...I would do it for real...

vCash
    Id try it...but I will probably do a terrible job

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast