Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    7,067
    vCash
    1500

    The media is obsessed with elections

    The reason people get elected is to implement policy. Elections are not an end in themselves. While they are easy to report on, they are not substantive. The media obsession with the horse race specifically and elections in general is lazy, self-serving, and useless. These are not athletic competitions where "winning" is the sole goal. Elections are a means to policies, which are the goal. Focusing on elections while largely ignoring policy, as a huge percentage of media coverage does, is foolish.

    Time spent this year fulminating over the latest faux-gaffe by a pretend candidate is wasted. I humbly suggest to those interested in politics that being led around by the nose by the media obsession with the presidential race is a waste of time, and a distraction from political issues that actually matter.

    You will get more secret "free trade" deals under whomever wins. You will get further relaxation of banking regulations under whomever wins. You will get what those who buy politicians want regardless of what you voted for, or what the majority of the public prefers. And that's true regardless of which "choice" you make on election day. Thus, focusing on who gets elected is little more than a gladiatorial match for the Roman plebes. Entertaining blood sport, perhaps, but little more.
    “If we sacrifice our values because we’re afraid, we don’t care about those values very much" -- Edward Snowden

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NOR CAL
    Posts
    9,503
    vCash
    1500
    It's almost like the roman senate, keep the population drunk and the gladiators fighting and we'll do whatever in the **** we want while you aren't paying attention
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government, owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. To destroy this invisible government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day.-Theodore Roosevelt

    I'm just here so I won't get fined boss
    Marshawn Lynch #24

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    66,049
    vCash
    1500
    We love winners and we hate losers. Much easier to declare and sell winners and losers in an election than policy. Plus quite frankly anything more than a binary choice confuses most Americans and makes it difficult to follow. Even if the media wanted to give us more, were conditioned to accept what we've got and will actively and passively resist that change.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NOR CAL
    Posts
    9,503
    vCash
    1500
    Well plus I think more folks are interested in who's **** Kim Kardashian has in her mouth than policy or elections. It's very unfortunate.
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government, owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. To destroy this invisible government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day.-Theodore Roosevelt

    I'm just here so I won't get fined boss
    Marshawn Lynch #24

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    In An Orange Lamborghini
    Posts
    1,301
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy West View Post
    Well plus I think more folks are interested in who's **** Kim Kardashian has in her mouth than policy or elections. It's very unfortunate.
    Yes.

    People get the govenment they deserve.
    An itchy trigger finger with the Report Button on speed dial.

    What others are saying about JV35:
    In His Short Time At PSD--Already Established As A Living Legend...
    A Throwback To The Days Of Honor--A True Stand Up Guy...
    The Personification Of GOAT--An American Treasure...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NOR CAL
    Posts
    9,503
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by JV35 View Post
    Yes.

    People get the govenment they deserve.
    I don't believe that to be true at all not that it matters. We don't deserve any of it no matter who is elected these folks are supposed to have the public and peoples interest at heart.

    Selling out to corporations and letting lobbyists write the majority of policy isn't what we deserve no matter who is elected.

    Just because we're buddies doesn't mean I want you're dog ******** on my lawn. Just because you were elected regardless of party shouldn't give you free rain to **** all over the citizens of this country either.

    When the choices boil down to stick your dick in a vice or put a finger in an electrical socket both are gonna hurt no matter what.
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government, owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. To destroy this invisible government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day.-Theodore Roosevelt

    I'm just here so I won't get fined boss
    Marshawn Lynch #24

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,390
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy West View Post
    I don't believe that to be true at all not that it matters. We don't deserve any of it no matter who is elected these folks are supposed to have the public and peoples interest at heart.

    Selling out to corporations and letting lobbyists write the majority of policy isn't what we deserve no matter who is elected.

    Just because we're buddies doesn't mean I want you're dog ******** on my lawn. Just because you were elected regardless of party shouldn't give you free rain to **** all over the citizens of this country either.

    When the choices boil down to stick your dick in a vice or put a finger in an electrical socket both are gonna hurt no matter what.
    I had to laugh. Yes, both are going to hurt, but I know which one I choose.
    Here is the question of the day, does anyone think that wealthy people should pay a lower percentage of their income to taxes than middle class people? Don't argue tax brackets, just a simple question. Do you think someone earning 46 million dollars should pay a lower percentage of their income than say someone earning sixty thousand?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    66,049
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by JV35 View Post
    Yes.

    People get the govenment they deserve.
    I agree with this. People vote for these guys and then complain. There have never been more people distrustful of government but never more incumbents winning elections. It sounds paradoxically but its not.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NOR CAL
    Posts
    9,503
    vCash
    1500
    ****ing pathetic, yeah we all deserve the abuse. Let's not blame the people doing the abusing, it's all our faults because all we can do is hang around with those who would abuse us.

    What a **** load of ****ing fail
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government, owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. To destroy this invisible government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day.-Theodore Roosevelt

    I'm just here so I won't get fined boss
    Marshawn Lynch #24

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NOR CAL
    Posts
    9,503
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by cabernetluver View Post
    I had to laugh. Yes, both are going to hurt, but I know which one I choose.
    The one that hurts less of course. Unfortunate we don't have an option that wouldn't hurt at all.
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government, owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. To destroy this invisible government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day.-Theodore Roosevelt

    I'm just here so I won't get fined boss
    Marshawn Lynch #24

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    66,049
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy West View Post
    ****ing pathetic, yeah we all deserve the abuse. Let's not blame the people doing the abusing, it's all our faults because all we can do is hang around with those who would abuse us.

    What a **** load of ****ing fail
    Sorry but an abusive relationship is a pretty good metaphor. We keep going with the same person and expecting them to change. Look at the rate of re-election for incumbents and look at the polling for Congress. People hate everyone else's congressmen but seem to love their own. But they don't see that theithe congressman is part of the vicious cycle you're describing.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NOR CAL
    Posts
    9,503
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Sorry but an abusive relationship is a pretty good metaphor. We keep going with the same person and expecting them to change. Look at the rate of re-election for incumbents and look at the polling for Congress. People hate everyone else's congressmen but seem to love their own. But they don't see that theithe congressman is part of the vicious cycle you're describing.
    We don't blame the victim in this country we try and reform the perpetrator.
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government, owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. To destroy this invisible government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day.-Theodore Roosevelt

    I'm just here so I won't get fined boss
    Marshawn Lynch #24

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    7,067
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy West View Post
    We don't blame the victim in this country we try and reform the perpetrator.
    The issue now is that we have a self-reinforcing system. Being willing to fellate the filthy rich is a requirement for almost any successful run for office. Those who have compromised themselves that way to gain success are very unlikely to change the rules. They are succeeding under those rules, and those who pay them off, errr I mean pay for their campaigns and bribe them with future jobs, are also succeeding. The only ones failing are those locked out of the system -- the rest of us, the 99% of us who are not in on the scam.

    The modern aristocracy has set the rules. The rest of us have few options to change them. The default state of humanity throughout history has been that a few enjoy the fruits of the labor of the rest. They turn those fruits into further advantages for themselves, politically, educationally, and financially. They leverage that wealth to control, distract and pacify those who are feeding them.

    The extent to which our current level of technology allows and encourages the concentration of wealth and power is highly disturbing. Humans are acquiring greater and greater levels of power via the exponential increase in technological prowess we're achieving. That power is more and more commonly deployed against our common interests than for them.

    Democracy is an experiment. It's new in terms of history, and its still in its infancy. Our democracy is degenerating to resemble the more common forms of government from history -- government of the many by the few, with little or no power or control accorded to the many. It's a damn shame, and it's damn hard to combat.
    “If we sacrifice our values because we’re afraid, we don’t care about those values very much" -- Edward Snowden

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NOR CAL
    Posts
    9,503
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Labgrownmangoat View Post
    The issue now is that we have a self-reinforcing system. Being willing to fellate the filthy rich is a requirement for almost any successful run for office. Those who have compromised themselves that way to gain success are very unlikely to change the rules. They are succeeding under those rules, and those who pay them off, errr I mean pay for their campaigns and bribe them with future jobs, are also succeeding. The only ones failing are those locked out of the system -- the rest of us, the 99% of us who are not in on the scam.

    The modern aristocracy has set the rules. The rest of us have few options to change them. The default state of humanity throughout history has been that a few enjoy the fruits of the labor of the rest. They turn those fruits into further advantages for themselves, politically, educationally, and financially. They leverage that wealth to control, distract and pacify those who are feeding them.

    The extent to which our current level of technology allows and encourages the concentration of wealth and power is highly disturbing. Humans are acquiring greater and greater levels of power via the exponential increase in technological prowess we're achieving. That power is more and more commonly deployed against our common interests than for them.

    Democracy is an experiment. It's new in terms of history, and its still in its infancy. Our democracy is degenerating to resemble the more common forms of government from history -- government of the many by the few, with little or no power or control accorded to the many. It's a damn shame, and it's damn hard to combat.
    Couldn't agree more

    Most of the gatekeepers are caught up in being abusive as well. It would be hard trying to get the abusers to all of a sudden turn on one another over the abused.
    Last edited by Randy West; 01-08-2015 at 07:53 PM.
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government, owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. To destroy this invisible government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day.-Theodore Roosevelt

    I'm just here so I won't get fined boss
    Marshawn Lynch #24

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    66,049
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy West View Post
    We don't blame the victim in this country we try and reform the perpetrator.
    That is a nice sentiment but I see no evidence of it in practice. We do it all the time, especially in more brutal cases without giving it a second thought.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •