Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

R's may be forced to pass clean debt bill due to lack of support among R's

R's may be forced to pass a clean bill.

“@costareports: GOP can't get to 218 on risk corridors or keystone as debt limit plan, options now all but dead...”

“@costareports: Boehner, Cantor, McCarthy know they now need D votes to pass anything, final GOP options discussed Mon have been dropped...”

“@costareports: Informal whip checks on keystone and risk corridors were mixed, some support but no momentum among majority of conference”

“@costareports: I'm at Cap, little drama here, consensus is that something clean-ish is coming since most Rs don't want to get behind a plan...”

“@costareports: As of now, boehner doesn't have any legislation on table, next conf mtg will go over next steps, deal w/ reality of low suppt for R plans”

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/431094170585804801

Good!

vCash
    The Republican point of view in the last few cycles has been that paying the bills already incurred is giving the Democrats something, and they wanted something in return. The Democratic point of view is that paying the bills for programs that have already been voted on is just doing your job. It seems that the majority of the nation agrees that paying your bills is a no brainer, and being a deadbeat is not a good alternative.

I get the idea that people are going to argue over the role and size of government. That takes place before the debt ceiling comes due. I don't get to argue with my wife about paying the credit cards when the bill comes in, I get to do that before we buy anything. When the bill comes in, it is to late.
    Here is the question of the day, does anyone think that wealthy people should pay a lower percentage of their income to taxes than middle class people? Don't argue tax brackets, just a simple question. Do you think someone earning 46 million dollars should pay a lower percentage of their income than say someone earning sixty thousand?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cabernetluver View Post
    The Republican point of view in the last few cycles has been that paying the bills already incurred is giving the Democrats something, and they wanted something in return. The Democratic point of view is that paying the bills for programs that have already been voted on is just doing your job. It seems that the majority of the nation agrees that paying your bills is a no brainer, and being a deadbeat is not a good alternative.

I get the idea that people are going to argue over the role and size of government. That takes place before the debt ceiling comes due. I don't get to argue with my wife about paying the credit cards when the bill comes in, I get to do that before we buy anything. When the bill comes in, it is to late.
    Good point...but not that long ago the roles were exactly reversed under the Bush administration during the Iraq war.

This is not a Republican and Democrat issue as much as a party of no power vs party in power issue. They've always traded or bargained over the debt ceiling. This is nothing new.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    Good point...but not that long ago the roles were exactly reversed under the Bush administration during the Iraq war.

This is not a Republican and Democrat issue as much as a party of no power vs party in power issue. They've always traded or bargained over the debt ceiling. This is nothing new.
    I don't remember the back and forth every getting to this level during the Bush presidency. Was the government shutdown during his presidency?
    Quote Originally Posted by AmsterNat View Post
    How unsurprising. Dude, give up trying to argue with valade. He cut you into little pieces, had you for breakfast, and shat you out.
    Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    Valade you have totally owned this thread. Well done
    My fanbase is growing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    I don't remember the back and forth every getting to this level during the Bush presidency. Was the government shutdown during his presidency?
    Why are you acting like the gov't shutdown is such a big deal and that the first time it ever happened was 2013? It's happened when both democrats and republicans were president. It's happened many times before, and I guarantee it will happen again.

The debt ceiling is the much, MUCH bigger deal compared to the gov't being shutdown for a few weeks.

vCash

The government never shut down and stopped providing services due to the Iraq war. Partisanship has it's place in the discussion of our current issues but that particular issue isn't relevant here.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GoCrew5 View Post
    Why are you acting like the gov't shutdown is such a big deal and that the first time it ever happened was 2013? It's happened when both democrats and republicans were president. It's happened many times before, and I guarantee it will happen again.

The debt ceiling is the much, MUCH bigger deal compared to the gov't being shutdown for a few weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by cabernetluver View Post

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    The government never shut down and stopped providing services due to the Iraq war. Partisanship has it's place in the discussion of our current issues but that particular issue isn't relevant here.
    No, the government never shut down during the Bush presidency but the threat tactic was used by the Dems while also pushing the agenda that continuing to raise the debt was irresponsible. And it wasn't always over the war either.

http://www.redstate.com/alanjoelny/2...iling-in-2006/

Yes, the GOP were the ones who actually shut down the government but that had been building for sone time. And my point is, let's not act like this is a difference in philosophy about the willingness to pay past due bills. Both sides are willing to do so while they are the ones not in power.

vCash
    I see a big logical fallacy in the middle of they speech:

Every dollar we pay in interest is a dollar that is not going to investment in America’s priorities.

Not true, that money mostly goes to Americans. Since we are by far the largest holders of the government debt that money gets paid to us.

I agree that Obama has failed to lead on the overall conversation of the debt but he's signed into law the biggest deficit and debt reduction in history. I think also the second largest but I'm not certain.

Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    vCash

They've always traded of bargained over the debt ceiling... What are you 10 years old?

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by grandsalami View Post
    R's may be forced to pass a clean bill.
    Looks like that is exactly what happened.

The House has passed a "clean" extension of the debt limit.

Twenty-eight Republicans joined all but two Democrats to approve the extension of the debt limit until March 2015 -- without any additional legislative wish list items attached.

The vote was 221-201.

The Senate is expected to take up the debt limit extension before the end of the week.

Republicans had wanted to attach some kind of policy provision to the must-pass legislation. Members suggested including measures like approving the Keystone XL pipeline or repealing part of the Affordable Care Act, but leaders were unable to secure enough votes for those add-ons to ensure passage. The White House also insisted it would not pay “ransom” for the extension, a position that Obama successfully held during last year’s government shutdown.

Ultimately, House Speaker John Boehner brought a “clean” debt limit extension for a vote, a move that incensed many conservatives who wanted to extract some kind of concession from the White House.
    Link

vCash
    This is a good move and I think it's what is right for the country -- in the short term. But we need to pass a bill that cuts spending pretty severely over the next decade.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    Hopefully this sails through without issue. Like you said, we have some serious work to do in terms of cutting our spending. *Hopefully* we start to see some serious cuts in extraneous spending in the military. I doubt we do, but goddamn it, a man can dream, can't he?

vCash
    Smart move by the GOP. They stay out of the headlines, and they don't do anything stupid before the midterm elections. Hopefully take control of the Senate and then they can work on bills to cut and reduce the debt.

vCash
    They should work to reduce the deficit too................................. oh...