Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: True or False?

vCash

True or False?

I have a question to a statement I heard from a highly educated young man who finished his master's in economics 6 years ago.

He told me "Fiscal liberals are not the enemy, they are human beings just the rest of us, but liberalism is. Eventually liberalism is destined to collapse under it's own weight".

Agree, disagree?

I'm interested in this because I'm young and educated, but not yet financially secure and some experts are predicting another great depression in the near future.

vCash
    Silly the things we believe when we were/are young, isn't it?

False of course. Liberalism is no more the enemy of humanity than conservatism or Islam or Catholicism. They are just different beliefs about stuff. Different choices. Some are better about somethings and some are better about other things.

The enemy of humanity card seems a sign of weakness in an argument to me at least. When one side is losing election after election, then the other side is evil. When your side is winning, the other side really doesn't matter.

vCash
    Eventually liberalism is destined to collapse under it's own weight

Replace "liberalism" with any word and it sounds like something that makes sense.

Eventually communism is destined to collapse under it's own weight

Eventually the NFL is destined to collapse under it's own weight

Eventually MLB is destined to collapse under it's own weight

Eventually Al-Quada is destined to collapse under it's own weight

See what I mean?

Ad nauseum...ad absurdum...
    An itchy trigger finger with the Report Button on speed dial.

What others are saying about JV35:
    In His Short Time At PSD--Already Established As A Living Legend...
    A Throwback To The Days Of Honor--A True Stand Up Guy...
    The Personification Of GOAT--An American Treasure...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sheesh View Post
    I have a question to a statement I heard from a highly educated young man who finished his master's in economics 6 years ago.

He told me "Fiscal liberals are not the enemy, they are human beings just the rest of us, but liberalism is. Eventually liberalism is destined to collapse under it's own weight".

Agree, disagree?

I'm interested in this because I'm young and educated, but not yet financially secure and some experts are predicting another great depression in the near future.
    Can I get clarification on this. Do you mean Fiscal Liberalism? Liberal ideology or Classical Liberalism ideology?
    2014 Bulls Forum NBA Redraft Champions!

PG: Jose Calderon / Aaron Brooks
    SG: Wesley Mathews / Tony Wroten
    SF: Chandler Parsons / Andrei Kirilenko
    PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Kyle O'Quinn
    C: Roy Hibbert / Kelly Olynyk

Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    vCash

Agree, disagree?

People who are highly educated and study economics are not in agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

vCash
    I . . . I'm interested in this because I'm young and educated, but not yet financially secure and some experts are predicting another great depression in the near future.
    As you get less young, you will find that some experts will be predicting another depression in the near future. Shortly after that, someone will be trying to sell you gold or a fall out shelter of some kind.

edit: or asking you to vote for the only guy that that keep this terrible thing from happening.
    Last edited by IndyFan; 01-15-2015 at 06:05 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Can I get clarification on this. Do you mean Fiscal Liberalism? Liberal ideology or Classical Liberalism ideology?
    For the purpose of this thread let's just say that fiscal liberalism refers to the belief that it's government's responsibility to alleviate any financial problems it's citizens may have. Regardless if the programs themselves are pragmatic or capable of such funding.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JV35 View Post

Replace "liberalism" with any word and it sounds like something that makes sense.

Eventually communism is destined to collapse under it's own weight

Eventually the NFL is destined to collapse under it's own weight

Eventually MLB is destined to collapse under it's own weight

Eventually Al-Quada is destined to collapse under it's own weight

See what I mean?

Ad nauseum...ad absurdum...
    Most of your examples were institutions not an ideology. I was referring to the administering of institutions in a fiscally liberal way. In the end if you can't pay for things the institution will collapse. That's the overall premise.

Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    vCash
    For the purpose of this thread let's just say that fiscal liberalism refers to the belief that it's government's responsibility to alleviate any financial problems it's citizens may have. Regardless if the programs themselves are pragmatic or capable of such funding.
    So your definition of Economic liberalism is spending without regards to cost. Then yeah sure. But that's stupid. You are defining an ideology with beliefs that few if any in that ideology have.

What we have in the thread so far is essentially:

You: Economic liberalism stupid. True or False?

Someone else: Define economic Liberalism.

You: I define economic liberalism as stupid.

Not thread worthy. One can not discuss the topic because your definition precludes any such discussion.

Plenty of economically liberal programs work in this and many other countries with no sign of stopping. Social security, Medicaid, The VA, the NIH to name a few in this country. And when you get to countries overseas there are far more liberal societies that have no signs of collapse. But people do not administer these institutions without regard to budget as you would suggest. So I call your original thesis is not TRUE or FALSE, it's Poppycock.
    Last edited by flips333; 01-16-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post

Plenty of economically liberal programs work in this and many other countries with no sign of stopping. Social security, Medicaid, The VA, the NIH to name a few in this country.
    The military, police departments, fire departments, the highways, most higher education, the safety regimes for aircraft, air, water, roads, food, drugs, and more. Communist, all of them. I mean that very literally, and not as a joke. They are as liberal as it gets, being government run and taxpayer funded. Will these liberal programs lead to the collapse of society?
    “If we sacrifice our values because we’re afraid, we don’t care about those values very much" -- Edward Snowden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Labgrownmangoat View Post
    The military, police departments, fire departments, the highways, most higher education, the safety regimes for aircraft, air, water, roads, food, drugs, and more. Communist, all of them. I mean that very literally, and not as a joke. They are as liberal as it gets, being government run and taxpayer funded. Will these liberal programs lead to the collapse of society?
    If they can't be paid for and continue to run high deficits then yes it will.

vCash
    What is so funny about the "these liberal programs will lead to the collapse of society" rant is we have been the most conservative oppressive nation in the western world without a thread of a true liberalism presence in the congress or presidency for the last fifties years and let it liberalism that is the collapsing our society?
    Every liberal issue from labor laws, civil rights, environmental, social services, education has been slashed, and regulated to fringe status and let we still are the big bad boogie man of 60's counter-culture period? Why don't you conservatives face the fact, we are in the crap we in because we followed your agenda for the last fifties some years, not one of the last ''liberal" program untouched by the conservative.