Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    vCash
    All 3 of those guys are castoffs from other NHL teams, so there's absolutely nothing to expect from them. Do you want to know who our best prospects are now?
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    All 3 of those guys are castoffs from other NHL teams, so there's absolutely nothing to expect from them. Do you want to know who our best prospects are now?
    Sure do. Eddie Lack seems solid but you don't hear too much about any blue chips on the farm. I know we don't have too much down there but we also allow prospects to mature down there and develop; it is a huge Gillis philosophy. So, what do we have?

vCash
    Well, now that Hodgson is up here he won't be part of the list. but here's a few names to pay attention to:

Jordan Schroeder, Kevin Connauton, Anton Rodin, Nicklas Jensen, Patrick McNally, and Eddie Lack.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    I personally think Chris Tanev is the best prospect Canucks have right now. I wouldn't go as far to say he's a blue chip prospect, but I think he has the best chance of becoming an NHL regular.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MJC_5005 View Post
    I personally think Chris Tanev is the best prospect Canucks have right now. I wouldn't go as far to say he's a blue chip prospect, but I think he has the best chance of becoming an NHL regular.
    Wasn't sure if Tanev was considered a prospect, but I agree he's a solid player. We already saw that last year when he held his own. I thought Ballard/Tanev was a really good 3rd D pairing.

<3

vCash
    Wasn't sure if Tanev was considered a prospect, but I agree he's a solid player. We already saw that last year when he held his own. I thought Ballard/Tanev was a really good 3rd D pairing.
    Yeah, I'm not 100% sure either what to classify him as lol. Agreed, him and Ballard worked out really well in the playoffs, I was surprised by both their play in the finals.

vCash
    It seems like we don't have a lot on the farm especially scoring. I hope Gillis et al pull some more Edlers out of their hats and that type of thing.

vCash
    Connauton has a legitamate shot to be BETTER Than Edler. Schroeder is a good forward to have. But you are right, our farm isn't as strong as it could be. But, our core players are signed long term, so there really isn't a big urgency to have our young prospects turn into nhl stars.

<3

vCash
    Jensen is Danish just like Jannik Hansen, therefore he is our top prospect.

That's how you judge talent people .
    TAKE PRIDE

vCash
    Jensen could be the power forward this team has been lacking.

<3

vCash
    I don't follow the OHL but just by judging stats he is on pace for 70 points(34 goals) up from 58 points and 29 goals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueJayFanDan View Post
    Jensen is Danish just like Jannik Hansen, therefore he is our top prospect.

That's how you judge talent people .
    Are you Danish or something??

vCash
    Jensen could be the power forward this team has been lacking.
    I watched the Canada-Denmark WJC game just to see him but he didn't do much. Doesn't mean he's bad though. No one on the Danish team did much against the powerhouse Canadian juniors.

I'd rather see him play in junior.

Hope you're right and we have our PF there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    Are you Danish or something??
    Nah, I am just loving my Hansen and Jensen.
    TAKE PRIDE

vCash
    Thought I'd post this in this thread since it belongs here. Good update about the farm system from early winter.

Quote Originally Posted by BranWingss View Post
    Hockeysfuture has you guys ranked 29th in orginization prospect rankings. Only the Sharks are behind..
    Gillis is doing things his way. It's not like he has no plan. He does, but "hockeysfuture" doesn't like it. I don't especially care what they think except in the sense that he has drafted a lot of small, fast forwards thinking the NHL was going in that direction. I'm not that worried about the quality of the prospects. I think they're fine, especially since we haven't had a lot of high picks due to the success of the team.

btw, if you read the November update on HF you'll see that their opinion has become a lot more favourable.

Vancouver Canucks Depth Analysis, Fall 2011
    http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...ysis_fall2011/

With the Vancouver Canucks advancement to the Stanley Cup Finals last season, most eyes have been focused on GM Mike Gillis' accomplishments at the NHL level. However, quietly and purposefully, Gillis is building a solid talent pipeline, some might argue the "old fashioned way," from the net out.

Bolstered by the 2010 free agent signing of Swedish prospect Eddie Lack, goaltending is the real strength of the Canucks' organization. However, good scouting and drafting, in the middle rounds especially, has produced a number of solid blue line prospects.

Perhaps still lacking are the forward positions, where premier prospect Cody Hodgson has essentially matriculated to full-time NHL player. However, 2011 first round draft pick Nicklas Jensen leads a fairly strong group of right wing prospects.

Left Wing

Wolves forward Bill Sweatt leads the Canucks' prospects at left wing. Originally drafted 38th overall by the Canucks' conference rival Blackhawks, Sweatt has bounced between organizations before having a solid season last year at Manitoba. His game is predicated around his elite speed with some finishing ability.

Mike Duco is that kind of prospect, like current NHL players Vern Fiddler and Adam Burish, who compensates for borderline skills with relentless effort, and defies expectations to continually make a strong case for himself as a future NHL role player.

Also at Chicago this year, 6'3, 212 pound Darren Archibald projects as a possible lower line physical forward in the NHL.

Steven Anthony (Kalamazoo/ECHL) and Russian Ilja Kablukov round out the prospects at left wing.

Center

With Hodgson now playing wing on the Canucks' second line, Jordan Schroeder and Stefan Schneider are the highest profile center prospects at Chicago (AHL). After a decent rookie season at Manitoba, diminutive playmaking center, and former first round draft choice, Schroeder is still working to find his pro game with the Wolves, where has four points in his first nine games, but is minus-five. Schneider, a 6'5 British Columbia native who projects as a fourth line/defensive forward is a reserve with Chicago.

What Alex Friesen lacks in size, he makes up in speed, effort, and leadership. He is off to a nice start as an overage junior at Niagara (OHL), where he has 10 points in 10 games.

Prab Rai, the speedy, yet oft-injured enigma of the Canucks pipeline, has apparently been battling injury again since appearing for the Canucks in the Young Stars Tourney earlier this year. Though assigned to Chicago, he has not appeared for the Wolves yet.

Another intriguing center prospect is 2011 third round selection, Minnesota-Duluth (NCAA) freshman Joseph Labate. With great skills at the Minnesota high school hockey level combined with a large frame, Labate will be an interesting prospect to monitor.

Swede Mats Froshaug and Minnesota (NCAA) Golden Gopher Taylor Matson are depth prospects here. Antoine Roussel and Nathan Longpre were noticeable in Canucks camp this year and were signed to AHL contracts by Chicago, where both have been playing in 2011-12.

Right Wing

2011 first round draft choice Nicklas Jensen looked very promising in Canucks' camp and NHL preseason games this year. Returned to Oshawa (OHL) on September 29, Jensen presently has 16 points in 14 games. The 6'3 Dane looks to be surefire top-six NHL prospect.

Gritty former New York Rangers' prospect Dale Weise has appeared in all 11 games for the Canucks this year, playing with Max LaPierre and AaronVolpatti.

Another fast Canuck forward prospect with a two-way game, Sweden's Anton Rodin has struggled to adapt to the North American style. Assigned to Chicago, he has been a fairly regular scratch for Wolves head coach Craig MacTavish.

2011 3rd round choice Alexandre Grenier has all the tools but is a bit of a project. The
    6'5 Halifax (QMJHL) forward needs to use his size and speed more consistently.

Signed by the Canucks in 2009, overage junior Kellan Tochkin was recently traded for the second time in his WHL career.

Another 2011 draft pick (round six), and currently at Malmo in Sweden's first division, Pathrik Westerholm is a prospect considered to have some upside.

Defense

This is an area of strength for the Canucks, where Gillis appears to have success with a number of middle round draft picks and free agent signings.

A number of Canucks' blue line prospects are currently performing well for the Chicago Wolves. Leading the way is Chris Tanev, who appears close to matriculate from prospect to full time NHL player. Recently assigned to Chicago, Tanev regardless has shown the ability to play a smart game at the NHL level.

Yann Sauve was an early recall of the Canucks after an injury to Aaron Rome, but is now back in the AHL. The big Quebec native is physical, plays a two-way game and is not afraid to mix it up.

Reminding some of former Canuck defenseman Christian Ehrhoff, 2009 third round pick Kevin Connauton possesses the puck skill, shot, and offensive instincts to be a fixture on an NHL power play within the next few years. Connauton has recorded two goals and two assists in nine games for the Wolves.

A 2010 Gillis draft pick, Czech Adam Polasek is a big, strong blueliner, with good skating ability and some offensive upside.

Swede Sebastian Erixon is yet another good two-way prospect at Chicago.

There is even further quality depth on defense with Patrick McNally (Harvard/NCAA), Jeremy Price (Colgate/NCAA), 2011 draft pick Frankie Corrado (Sudbury/OHL), and Taylor Ellington (Kalamazoo/ECHL).

One pick away from last in the 2011 draft and currently playing for Vastra Frolunda HC (SEL), Henrik Tommernes is a boom or bust power play quarterback with severe defensive limitations.

Goaltending

Swedish import Eddie Lack leads a strong group of Canuck goalie prospects that also includes 2011 NCAA Hobey Baker Award finalist Joe Cannata, high third-round draft pick (2011) David Honzik, and Finland's Jonathan Iilahti.

Were it not for the Canucks' strength in net at the NHL level, Lack might well be in Vancouver, instead of the number one goalie in Chicago. Now in his second AHL season, Lack has all the tools and is at or near the league lead among regular AHL goalies in key statistics.

Right behind Lack, Merrimack College Senior Cannata has good size and fundamentals. He is also a product of the U.S. National Under-18 program.

Honzik is big, but raw. He is in his second season at Victoriaville (QMJHL).

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast