Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Senate bill calls for every grave at Arlington cemetery to be accounted for

The secretary of the Army would have to provide Congress with a full accounting of all of the more than 320,000 grave sites at Arlington National Cemetery under a Senate bill introduced Tuesday.

The bill, which comes on the heels of a growing scandal at the nation's most hallowed military burial ground, would also require a review of the contracts issued to digitize the cemetery's paper records and a study to determine whether the cemetery should be transferred to the Department of Veterans Affairs.

In a statement, Sen. Scott Brown (R-Mass.), who introduced the legislation with Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.), said the bill would "make sure that those responsible for managing the cemetery are being held accountable and meeting the highest standards when it comes to ensuring the proper burials of America's fallen men and women."
    Source: Washington Post

I wanted to post this to take a break from the divisive issues that gain traction. I think we can all agree that our soldiers deserve better than this and the government is doing something to ensure accountability. I dont know if the Veterans Affairs department is better than what we currently have but from what i have heard the VA hospitals receive high ratings from those needing to be there. Bottom line, i want the best treatment of our veterans, i may not agree with this war but i respect each and every one of them.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    I am surprised this got NO interest. I guess im not really surprised, in politics if something isnt sensational it gets no attention.

vCash
    It isn't that I am not interested, stories like this piss me off more than anything. A senate bill to do the right thing for our deceased soldiers?? Why didn't we do the right thing initially? They gave 100% and then their lives, only to come back home and be treated less than honorable.

JUST DO THE RIGHT THING!!! YOU DON'T NEED A FRICKING BILL TO DO THE RIGHT THING YOU JUST DO IT!

I wonder if some of these folks need to pass a bill to change their underwear!!! Geez
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government, owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. To destroy this invisible government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day.-Theodore Roosevelt

There's no country on Earth that would tolerate missiles raining down on its citizens from outside its borders.
    -Barack "drone" Obama, 11/18/2012

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    I am surprised this got NO interest. I guess im not really surprised, in politics if something isnt sensational it gets no attention.
    This is the only place I've heard about this story to be honest.

My guess is one side doesn't want to give Scott Brown any credit at all, while the other side is too focused on rallying support for the mid-terms.
    "If [Republicans] were around when Columbus set sail, they must have been founding members of the Flat Earth Society." -- Pres. Barack Obama

vCash
    Ehh I just didn't want to put a X2, or something else.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DodgersFan28 View Post
    This is the only place I've heard about this story to be honest.

My guess is one side doesn't want to give Scott Brown any credit at all, while the other side is too focused on rallying support for the mid-terms.
    When Scott Brown voted to end the filibuster on the Financial Reform bill he got good press from MSNBC. They werent ranting and raving he was a Democrat or anything, but they made note of it and gave him credit. They did the same thing when the Maine senators voted for certain bills. But i havent seen anything from either side of the news spectrum on this, not because they dont want to give credit, but because this isnt a "sexy story". I dont think we need to jump to the "they hate Republicans/Democrats" side of this just yet.

vCash
    I guess if it was in a major national news source that should be enough mention. Frankly, I'm a little embarrassed that this has even happened because we do have a debt to pay to those that gave all, This is but one more example of people entrusted to do a job and not following through in a responsible fashion.

I ask you, who would be most deserving of our best and honest effort than those who gave all?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by corralski View Post
    I guess if it was in a major national news source that should be enough mention. Frankly, I'm a little embarrassed that this has even happened because we do have a debt to pay to those that gave all, This is but one more example of people entrusted to do a job and not following through in a responsible fashion.

I ask you, who would be most deserving of our best and honest effort than those who gave all?
    I agree completely, except for the (in my opinion, and i could be wrong) implications that the Washington Post isnt a "major national news source".

vCash
    I've not been paying much attention to PSD for aseveral days, but I did hear about the soldier on the radio who was exumed to verify his identity, and it was him.

So sad that after all that sacrifice by both the soldier/ marine/ sailor/ airman, and their families that the government can't even keep track of where they bury them.

vCash
    I agree completely, except for the (in my opinion, and i could be wrong) implications that the Washington Post isnt a "major national news source".
    The Washington post isn't a major national news source? Sorry for the confusion, we can be in complete agreement now.....