Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Top 5 head coaches

Just a random question, if you started a program which 5 coaches would you want to coach your team the most? I understand none of the top coaches would leave a top program for a new university but just wanted to know who you think is best and why.
    Mine:
    1. Nick Saban- Great recruitor, and even better coach
    2. Chris Peterson- He always has his team ready to play and can knock off anyone with any players.
    3. Bob Stoops- Consistenly has Oklahoma on top and very good recruitor.
    4. Lane Kiffin- I know I'm going to take heat for this, but he is a very good coach IMO. He could get the program in the spotlight and win games.
    5. Urban Meyer- I am still waiting to see what he can do w/o the best player in UF history, but he is still a good coach.

vCash
    You deserve to take heat for putting Lane Kiffin on your list. Kiffin has only been a head coach in college for one season and in that one season he won 7 games. You are worried about Meyer without Tebow? At least he has won 2 national championships and he also had a lot of success at Utah before that.
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011

vCash
    i don't know what's more surprising... that you put kiffin in your list or that you DIDN'T put richt in it
    JETSMETSKNICKSPENS
    GATOR BAIT!
    UCONN!!!

vCash
    Urban, he did just as well at Utah
    Saban
    Stoops
    Tressel
    Mack Brown simply based on his recruiting and his winning of course

Those are in no particular order

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    Saban
    Stoops
    Tressel

That's the five I would go with as well.

vCash
    Lane Kiffin has a severely inferior understanding for the game of football compared to just about every other coach on the collegiate and high school level. The presence of his name on any such list is beyond laughable. He's lucky his brilliant father is following him around everywhere now.

As for my top five, the same as bmd's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Holtz Lisp View Post
    Just a random question, if you started a program which 5 coaches would you want to coach your team the most? I understand none of the top coaches would leave a top program for a new university but just wanted to know who you think is best and why.
    Mine:
    2. Chris Peterson- He always has his team ready to play and can knock off anyone with any players.
    4. Lane Kiffin- I know I'm going to take heat for this, but he is a very good coach IMO. He could get the program in the spotlight and win games.
    5. Urban Meyer- I am still waiting to see what he can do w/o the best player in UF history, but he is still a good coach.
    LOL No way Lane Kiffin is a better coach than Jim Tressel, Mack Brown and plenty of other coaches. He literally has done nothing as a head coach in the NFL or college. He left Tennessee in a mess and thus far USC looks like crap.

Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    Saban
    Stoops
    Tressel

I will take your list and swap out Stoops for Chris Petersen. I think Chris Petersen has done more with less at Boise State. Bob Stoops always has Oklahoma up around the top but they consistently fail to show up for big games.

vCash
    I sure have a lot of respect for Urban Meyer. He has both Utah and Florida success.

Chris Petersen - the only two time Bear Bryant coach of the year winner

Patterson at TCU. The man is not easy to look at but he coaches the heck out of those Horned Frogs. Another coach that earns his creds by doing more with less. He has brought the Frogs back from obscurity after they weren't taken into the Big 12 from the destruction of the SWC.

Mack Brown? I can't put him on top of any list that doesn't involve insults to the coaching profession. Any coach who has to beg voters to change their votes to manipulate the polls is lower than scum in my book. Booooo! Get that Mack crap out of here.

vCash
    1. Nick Saban- If you asked me to pick one coach to turn a program around I wouldn't consider anybody else. How quickly he turned LSU and Alabama into powerhouses amazes me.
    2. Urban Meyer - There's still a part of me that wants to see him coach a couple years without Tebow before I pass final judgement, but currently I think he's the 2nd best coach in the nation
    3. Jim Tressel - I think Tressel is underrated because of the NC game loses. OSU was the red headed step child to Michigan for most of the 80's and all of the 90's. Since Tressel got to Columbus that series has almost become laughable.
    4. Mack Brown - Took a Texas program that had struggled for over a decade and turned it into a national power again. Probably gets overlooked in discussions like these because he's not a big shot.
    5. Bob Stoops - I think Stoops get a bad rap because of recent BCS losses. But IMO his teams over achieve some years during the regular season and then have been over matched in bowls (I'm not referring to the Boise St. game).

I Remember reading some USC fans in the forum dogging Stoops' BCS record and bragging about Carroll's. But USC chocked a few times in the last 5 years and ended up in the Rose Bowl when they easily could have been playing for the NC. Stoops always has his teams ready during the regular season. Eight 11+ win season's in eleven years speaks for itself.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry34 View Post
    1. Nick Saban- If you asked me to pick one coach to turn a program around I wouldn't consider anybody else. How quickly he turned LSU and Alabama into powerhouses amazes me.
    2. Urban Meyer - There's still a part of me that wants to see him coach a couple years without Tebow before I pass final judgement, but currently I think he's the 2nd best coach in the nation
    3. Jim Tressel - I think Tressel is underrated because of the NC game loses. OSU was the red headed step child to Michigan for most of the 80's and all of the 90's. Since Tressel got to Columbus that series has almost become laughable.
    4. Mack Brown - Took a Texas program that had struggled for over a decade and turned it into a national power again. Probably gets overlooked in discussions like these because he's not a big shot.
    5. Bob Stoops - I think Stoops get a bad rap because of recent BCS losses. But IMO his teams over achieve some years during the regular season and then have been over matched in bowls (I'm not referring to the Boise St. game).

I Remember reading some USC fans in the forum dogging Stoops' BCS record and bragging about Carroll's. But USC chocked a few times in the last 5 years and ended up in the Rose Bowl when they easily could have been playing for the NC. Stoops always has his teams ready during the regular season. Eight 11+ win season's in eleven years speaks for itself.
    switch 4 and 3 and thats prob how it goes.

vCash
    1) Nick Saban...hate him but he knows how to win
    2) Urban Meyer...too bad he now coaches in the state I despise more than any other
    3) Jim Tressel...his Buckeyes are always relevant
    4) Bob Stoops....Sooners have been elite almost every year under Bob
    5) Bo Pelini....I'd rather have him coaching my team over anyone else!

Honorable mention...Mike Stoops, Jim Harbaugh, Chris Peterson,

Mack Brown is an elite recruiter and only an average coach, but he gets a mention as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrat218 View Post
    1) Nick Saban...hate him but he knows how to win
    2) Urban Meyer...too bad he now coaches in the state I despise more than any other
    3) Jim Tressel...his Buckeyes are always relevant
    4) Bob Stoops....Sooners have been elite almost every year under Bob
    5) Bo Pelini....I'd rather have him coaching my team over anyone else!

Honorable mention...Mike Stoops, Jim Harbaugh, Chris Peterson,

Mack Brown is an elite recruiter and only an average coach, but he gets a mention as well.
    Jim Harbaugh scares me as a coach more than anyone else in the Pac-10, just saying. Stanford was one of the worst programs in the nation when he got there and now he's making good teams and recruiting really well.

I think Mike Stoops has learned from some of his errors early on but I still wouldn't want him coaching my team. He's just a little bit too crazy for my liking, and he overreacts to everything. He's not a bad coach but he's definitely not great.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Holtz Lisp View Post
    Mine:
    Good to see Kiffin getting some love. He is easily the most underrated coach in college football for the simple fact that nobody likes him. He is an extremely good coach though.

The PSD's Official Steve Nash Support Crew, Members: R4L

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Raidaz4Life View Post
    Good to see Kiffin getting some love. He is easily the most underrated coach in college football for the simple fact that nobody likes him. He is an extremely good coach though.

He's coached ONE season, how is he a top coach???

Soon...

vCash
    Im kind of suprised no one said Joe Paterno yet. I thinks he's a great coach.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast