Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 31 of 39 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by xpucksx View Post
    I know I am in the minority when I don't consider Zepplin "metal", but I don't, and that's why I don't include them in the early list.
    I think when I think of "metal" I go back to my own life of really just listening to the music that I felt most attracted to, and the other people who liked it too, and how in high school we all hung out in the parking lot and guys had Camaros and Firebirds and we did a lot of drinkin' an' smokin' and other crazy stuff and other kids called us "STONERS". (Even though a large percentage of us got good grades and didn't even smoke pot, we were still "stoners" to everybody else 'cause the music!) We listened to Zep, AC/DC, Maiden etc. And for that reason, I think Zeppelin gets put into the "metal" category. Rush too.

But in terms of people trying to flesh out GENRES... I hear a lot of people use "heavy rock" and "hard rock". I hate genres though, with a passion that borders on the irrational. I do understand we humans just love to list and categorize stuff, but it gets so darned stupid with music. Post-rock? Come the **** on. *laughing* Damn Foucault and his legions of post-modernists!

Anyway, I think your list is stellar. And it's interesting; this is where I say I am more "mainstream" in my tastes, because, even tho' I absolutely agree with you about the IMPORTANCE TO METAL of the albums you listed, here are my PERSONAL FAVORITE albums from (most of) the bands you listed, plus some I threw in. Not in terms of how important they were to metal, but just in terms of my favorite albums from "metal" type bands, and how I always seem to be drawn to the albums that most metalheads think are the more mainstream. Also, I absolutely love Metallica's "The Black Album" which, in some circles, would make me a 100% genuine POSER.

1. Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
    2. Metallica - Master Of Puppets
    3. Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark
    4. Judas Priest - Sin After Sin
    5. Slayer - Divine Intervention
    6. AC/DC - Back In Black
    7. Metallica- ...And Justice For All
    8. RUSH - Moving Pictures
    9. Van Halen - Women & Children First
    10. Ozzy - Diary of a Madman

But see, here again. Rush? Van Halen? One gets called prog. rock, and the other a lot of people think of as almost "Top 40" type pop rock. Genres! Bah!
    --DEUS CARITAS EST--
    LIGHT UP THE HALO!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HILLBILLYBLACK View Post
    I think when I think of "metal" I go back to my own life of really just listening to the music that I felt most attracted to, and the other people who liked it too, and how in high school we all hung out in the parking lot and guys had Camaros and Firebirds and we did a lot of drinkin' an' smokin' and other crazy stuff and other kids called us "STONERS". (Even though a large percentage of us got good grades and didn't even smoke pot, we were still "stoners" to everybody else 'cause the music!) We listened to Zep, AC/DC, Maiden etc. And for that reason, I think Zeppelin gets put into the "metal" category. Rush too.
    I was one of those that didn't do any of the substances. Still never have. I grew up not only in the underground metal scene, but also the Straight Edge punk scene. especially influenced by the first wave of DC hardcore. I was lumped into the "stoners" group...they called it "grits" around here...

Quote Originally Posted by HILLBILLYBLACK View Post

1. Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
    2. Metallica - Master Of Puppets
    3. Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark
    4. Judas Priest - Sin After Sin
    5. Slayer - Divine Intervention
    6. AC/DC - Back In Black
    7. Metallica- ...And Justice For All
    8. RUSH - Moving Pictures
    9. Van Halen - Women & Children First
    10. Ozzy - Diary of a Madman

But see, here again. Rush? Van Halen? One gets called prog. rock, and the other a lot of people think of as almost "Top 40" type pop rock. Genres! Bah!
    Comments on the above:
    - RUSH is my absolute #1 most favorite band. They can do no wrong in my book, and I am the rare Rush fan that likes EACH AND EVERY ONE of their albums, not just the old ones or new ones.
    -The Black album by Metallica was the last album by them I liked
    - Divine Intervention is my 2nd most fav Slayer album. VERY underrated album
    - Fear of the Dark was the last Maiden album I could stand

We are definitely on the same page though as far as the mindset about genres - within metal. I definitely can't stand other main genres like country, rap, hip-hop, pop...anything that uses that stupid voice corrector effect.

vCash
    I never really liked any of these genres of music.

My taste has changed a lot over the years. 2-4 years ago I primarily only listened to Hip Hop. Old school, new school, whatever. I still listen to some of that, but I've expanded my taste.

Nowadays, I listed to tons of alternative rock. A lot of music from RHCP, Incubus, Foo Fighters, Linkin Park, etc.. I listen to tons of pop as well. Maroon 5, Fun., etc..

I just recently got into Metal. Well, I've only listened to one album. My friend let me borrow 'The Black Album' by Metallica. I thought it was amazing. Nothing Else Matters is my favorite song. I guess I'm more willing to give this genre a chance. Any recommendations?
    Last edited by nyyfan4life; 12-21-2012 at 03:10 AM.
    Yankees - Jets - Rockets

vCash

vCash
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7lpftvYDMA

If you don't like this song, you are wrong.

vCash
    'Guess I'm wrong then. 'Never have liked that kind of vocals. Without the vocals in it, I could listen to it all day long.
    --DEUS CARITAS EST--
    LIGHT UP THE HALO!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan4life View Post
    I never really liked any of these genres of music.

My taste has changed a lot over the years. 2-4 years ago I primarily only listened to Hip Hop. Old school, new school, whatever. I still listen to some of that, but I've expanded my taste.

Nowadays, I listed to tons of alternative rock. A lot of music from RHCP, Incubus, Foo Fighters, Linkin Park, etc.. I listen to tons of pop as well. Maroon 5, Fun., etc..

I just recently got into Metal. Well, I've only listened to one album. My friend let me borrow 'The Black Album' by Metallica. I thought it was amazing. Nothing Else Matters is my favorite song. I guess I'm more willing to give this genre a chance. Any recommendations?
    If you are new to metal and you like The Black Album than listen to their 4 CDs before that and you should like all of them. Also I show my friends who are new to metal some bands like Slipknot, 5FDP or Trivium. More of the metalcore genre because its not as heavy and I call them gateway bands to start listening to heavier metal if you like that kind of stuff

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by xpucksx View Post
    I was one of those that didn't do any of the substances. Still never have. I grew up not only in the underground metal scene, but also the Straight Edge punk scene...

Comments on the above:
    - RUSH is my absolute #1 most favorite band. They can do no wrong in my book, and I am the rare Rush fan that likes EACH AND EVERY ONE of their albums, not just the old ones or new ones.
    -The Black album by Metallica was the last album by them I liked
    - Divine Intervention is my 2nd most fav Slayer album. VERY underrated album
    - Fear of the Dark was the last Maiden album I could stand

We are definitely on the same page though as far as the mindset about genres - within metal. I definitely can't stand other main genres like country, rap, hip-hop, pop...anything that uses that stupid voice corrector effect.
    A silly story. I had the opportunity to see EYEHATEGOD in Cinci a while back. Of course Mike Williams was so high he could barely stand up, let alone perform. He wobbles and teeters across the stage, eyes rolling, head lolling, grabs the microphone and screams "THANK GOD FOR STRAIGHT EDGE!!!" *laughing* Jeez!

There are, I think, two bands I feel about like you feel about RUSH, where I kept liking even the albums that everyone else absolutely hated. The first is of course Rush, and the second is Pink Floyd. I think The Division Bell is one of the most beautiful albums, ever. I actually read all the "Publius Enigma" posts back in the day. It was fun stuff!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Publius_Enigma

The Metallica albums after the Black Album have grown on my through the years. When I first heard some of 'em as they came out, I was so mad I could barely see straight. But then I got over myself and the mindset that who or what I thought an artist should be or do, is what they should do. God, the arrogance I had on me back then. I still look side-eye at St. Anger, and as much as I do respect Lou Reed, the Lulu thing just wasn't for me.

Iron Maiden, I continue to love. I know some of the later albums have gotten almost satrical but I don't care. I just love Maiden. They could go out there and sing freakin' commercial jingles and I'd rock out to it. *laughing*

I never understood why people hated Divine Intervention so much.
    To me, still, that album is Slayer at its best, lyrically, musically, everything. But I also know it's somewhat sacrilege b/c that's Bostaph on the drums. I don't care. I think it's a great album and I'm always glad to listen to it.

One thing I love about metal, is how it leads out into so many different directions. Because I always loved that low-end doomy drawn-out growl kind of sound, my Bolt Thrower adoration lead me to bands like Incantation and Evoken, the Cianide, Cryptopsy, and one of my ALL-TIME favorites, Suffocation. Some of the happiest hours of my life were spent reading "liner notes" and seeing who bands thanked in their notes. I learned about so many bands just because of artists I liked, thanking other people.
    --DEUS CARITAS EST--
    LIGHT UP THE HALO!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleacher Bums View Post
    I call them gateway bands to start listening to heavier metal if you like that kind of stuff
    Ha ha! It sounds funny to put it that way, but man, it's true.

It becomes a taste acquired by knowledge and familiarity and
    seeing bands live and seeing how cool people are who are truly
    metalheads. 'First time I heard those early Morbid Angel
    and Sepultura albums, I looked at my speakers like WTF,
    is there a wire loose?! *laughing*

There are some truly priceless metal archives on the interwebs
    that would be 100% the best friend of anyone just getting into
    metal or trying to understand what people love about the more
    extreme versions of it.

The first is:
    http://www.anus.com/metal/about/faq/

If you read that FAQ and make use of the review archives, you'll
    be well on your way to truly loving metal AND appreciating it,
    even the parts of it you may not like.

The second is:
    http://www.metal-archives.com/

What an exciting time to just be getting curious about metal.
    So much to hear. So much to see. So much to
    --DEUS CARITAS EST--
    LIGHT UP THE HALO!

vCash
    Merry Christmas Eve to those of you who celebrate it.

Metalhead related: 'Don't know if y'all are aware that Halford made this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halford_III:_Winter_Songs

It's a pretty good album of you like Halford, which I do.

Anyway, y'all be safe out there on the roads, and have a Merry Christmas!
    --DEUS CARITAS EST--
    LIGHT UP THE HALO!

vCash
    Anybody here listen to Protest the Hero?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWDrdAJMcRs

Aggressive but clean vocals, mathcore... What's not to like?

vCash
    I didn't like the most recent album as much as the previous two. The older ones seemed to have a better mix of vocals, this one was mostly clean, and while I don't hate cleans like a lot of heavy fans, I don't love this guys voice. Kinda reminds me of Iced Earth in a weird way.

http://youtu.be/zuwW9IVwZ0U
    Last edited by GuySir; 12-25-2012 at 06:31 PM.

vCash
    just learned of Burzum....so bad ***

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luFCBdS5PAs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BKdoubleStacker View Post
    just learned of Burzum....so bad ***

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luFCBdS5PAs
    Yeah, that's some pretty righteous stuff, man. If you really get into it and you also like vinyl, there's some amazing Burzum vinyl in the world. There's a picture disc box that came out in... 2001 I think it was, that's gorgeous. Unlike a lot of people, I like the later stuff just as much as the earlier. All of it is just freakin' genius, IMO.
    --DEUS CARITAS EST--
    LIGHT UP THE HALO!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tongue-Splitter View Post
    Anybody here listen to Protest the Hero?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWDrdAJMcRs

Aggressive but clean vocals, mathcore... What's not to like?
    YES!

First album is my favorite...very complex.

Their newer stuff is still solid but it doesn't captivate me like Kezia. It's more in the mold of Rise Against than their truly unique 1st album IMO

Page 31 of 39 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast