Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Aunt Zeituni: 'The System Took Advantage Of Me'

Aunt Zeituni: 'The System Took Advantage Of Me'
    President Obama's Aunt Speaks Exclusively With WBZ-TV

Reporting
    Jonathan Elias
    BOSTON

"If I come as an immigrant, you have the obligation to make me a citizen." Those are the words from 58-year-old Zeituni Onyango of Kenya in a recent exclusive interview with WBZ-TV.

Onyango is the aunt of President Barack Obama. She lived in the United States illegally for years, receiving public assistance in Boston.

'I KNEW I OVERSTAYED'

Aunt Zeituni, as she has come to be known, first surfaced in the public light in 2008, in the final days of the Presidential election. Then-candidate Obama said that he was not against the possible deportation of his aunt. "If she has violated laws, then those laws have to be obeyed," he told CBS's Katie Couric. "We are a nation of laws."

Onyango had violated the law, and she knew it.

"I knew I had overstayed" she told WBZ-TV's Jonathan Elias when the two sat down one-on-one.

ASSIGNED PUBLIC HOUSING

Zeituni Onyango said she came to the United States in 2000 and had every intention of leaving. Then, however, she says she got deathly ill and was hospitalized. When she recovered, she said she was broke and couldn't afford to leave.

For two years Onyango said she lived in a homeless shelter, before she was assigned public housing despite thousands of legal residents also awaiting assistance. "I didn't take any advantage of the system. The system took advantage of me."

"I didn't ask for it; they gave it to me. Ask your system. I didn't create it or vote for it. Go and ask your system," she said unapologetically.

And she's right. The system provided her assistance despite her status as an illegal immigrant.

ORDERED TO LEAVE THE COUNTRY

In 2004 a judge ordered Zeituni Onyango out of the country, but she never left. She stayed, hiding in plain sight. In 2005 she attended her nephew's swearing in as the junior Senator of Illinois. In 2008 she was invited to, and traveled to D.C. for President Obama's inauguration.

However her nephew, she says, never pulled any strings for her.

"Listen. Obama did not know my whereabouts."

'HEAVEN' PAYS HER BILLS

Onyango hired a top immigration lawyer from Cleveland to help fight her case. We asked how she afforded that lawyer, when she claimed poverty.

"When you believe in Jesus Christ and almighty God, my help comes from heaven," she responded.

'PUBLIC ENEMY NUMBER ONE'

When asked about cutting in line ahead of those who have paid into the system she answered plainly, "I don't mind. You can take that house. I will be on the street with the homeless."

"To me America's dream became America's worst nightmare," she said adamantly. "I have been treated like public enemy number one."

GRANTED ASYLUM

She is still living in South Boston public housing, unemployed, and collecting about $700 a month in disability, she says. And now, Zeituni Onlyango is in this country legally.

In May 2010, Onyango's case went back before the same judge who ordered her out of the country in 2004. This time she was granted asylum in the United States. The ruling said a return to Kenya might put Onyango in danger.

Did her nephew, the President of the United States influence that immigration judge? "No influence at all, from nobody, from nowhere," Onyango said.
    http://wbztv.com/local/obama.aunt.ze....html#comments

vCash
    She took advantage of the system

Too many what Ifs

vCash
    I dont really see how this is a political issue? Unless the implication is that Obama somehow influenced her outcome.

It seems like he has done everything right from his end, although i dont think this would be his responsibility anyways.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

4. 09-26-2010, 08:22 PM
    Reason
    stop making posts like that

vCash
    This is just the inane ramblings of some old woman. Why is this news?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by philab View Post
    It isn't.
    Here is the question of the day, does anyone think that wealthy people should pay a lower percentage of their income to taxes than middle class people? Don't argue tax brackets, just a simple question. Do you think someone earning 46 million dollars should pay a lower percentage of their income than say someone earning sixty thousand?

vCash
    "If she has violated laws, then those laws have to be obeyed," he told CBS's Katie Couric. "We are a nation of laws."
    Damned if i know why after he clearly said that it is. It is really just an attempt to smear Obama for something he didnt do.

vCash
    How is this not political?

It is less about Obama and more about how our immigration laws are joke and shouldn't even be on the books. There is reason this country is sinking into tragic debt and paying for illegal immigrants is one of the big reasons
    Proof that I'm Always Right: http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=756103
    and http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=773028

New Prediction: LeBron will be Knicks

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PraiseJesus View Post

It is less about Obama and more about how our immigration laws are joke and shouldn't even be on the books. There is reason this country is sinking into tragic debt and paying for illegal immigrants is one of the big reasons
    No, it's not. There's not a single coherent argument for immigration reform in there. Look at the portion DF28 quoted. Is that the foundation of a compelling argument?

Again, this is just some mixed-up old woman rambling about nothing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PraiseJesus View Post

I guess it is easy to attack someone who cant fight back. You should thank god for those illegal immigrants and their ability to keep costs way down just like you should thank god for those sweat shops in china that keep costs way down.

Trust me "illegal immigrants" are not at all a reason for our "tragic debt".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087
    You should thank god for those illegal immigrants and their ability to keep costs way down just like you should thank god for those sweat shops in china that keep costs way down.
    Going to have to disagree with you there. Both systems are terribly oppressive and aren't worth it, no matter how much we might gain from either system.
    "If [Republicans] were around when Columbus set sail, they must have been founding members of the Flat Earth Society." -- Pres. Barack Obama

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DodgersFan28 View Post
    Going to have to disagree with you there. Both systems are terribly oppressive and aren't worth it, no matter how much we might gain from either system.
    I understand the sentiment, but at the same time i think we would both be praying for them if they were to go away.

Im not saying it is good, it is atrocious that they get treated like slaves, but there are some dirty truths people need to realize that make their life the way it is today. Prices would skyrocket if we couldnt pay for super cheap goods in China or get our produce from illegal immigrant labor near the border. That is the only point i am making, not a moral one, just a factual one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DodgersFan28 View Post
    Yeah, gotta agree with you. Not worth it.

Although I think dbroncs is right when he says that illegal immigrants are not at all the reason for our "tragic debt."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DodgersFan28
    The part you ignore is that they gain too.

The reason a kid in China works in a sweat shop is because his alternatives are worse. The reason an illegal immigrant sneaks into the United States and does ****** jobs for low pay is because his alternatives are worse.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post
    The part you ignore is that they gain too.

The reason a kid in China works in a sweat shop is because his alternatives are worse. The reason an illegal immigrant sneaks into the United States and does ****** jobs for low pay is because his alternatives are worse.
    At least for me, that's exactly the point. The otherwise persuasive freedom of choice and right to contract arguments fall short when there's a lack of a meaningful choice. Either provide a meaningful alternative or lift the floor. Pitting MNEs against the poorest of poor, denying workers any rights or a path to citizenship ... these things force the floor down.

vCash
    At least for me, that's exactly the point. The otherwise persuasive freedom of choice and right to contract arguments fall short when there's a lack of a meaningful choice. Either provide a meaningful alternative or lift the floor. Pitting MNEs against the poorest of poor, denying workers any rights or a path to citizenship ... these things force the floor down.
    There isn't a lack of a meaningful choice.

I will never be able to understand the view you are expressing here. Simply washing your hands of an ugly situation, doesn't make the ugly situation any better. If you remove those sweat shops, you don't make those kids lives any better. In fact, you make them worse. You keep that illegal immigrant out of this country, you aren't doing him any favors.

So. Basically I would ask. In your world you would prevent a company from opening "sweat shops". What good have you done? Who is better off because of what you have done?
    Last edited by gcoll; 09-28-2010 at 08:41 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast