Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Rating Team Defense

http://hoopdata.com/teamxefg.aspx

is this a method you believe in? It uses opponents expected effective field goal percentage, divided by their actual effective field goal percentage? This measure tells us how a team defends shots above the league average percentages given its defensive shot distribution.
    Obviously 1.00 is the league average. I was a bit surprised to see OKC have the highest rating here. The usual suspects, Boston, Miami, Orlando, etc are up there as well.

http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/tea...ff/order/false

Hollinger's formula has many of the same top teams defensively. I am not sure the equation Hollinger uses, but it appears he simply uses the same measure to rate a team offensively, and weighs by actuals in the team defensive ratings, but I am not sure

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    Hollinger's equation is points allowed divided by # of possessions of opponent, multiplied by 100, which is the general formula for defensive efficiency.

Regarding the Hoopdata DRatio, all it tells me is that a team with a ratio of 1.00 or higher just exceeded its expectations. I would still look at each team's OeFG% to determine their defensive capabilities.

That being said, there is a correlation between OeFG% and DRatio, so I guess good defensive teams do exceed their expected %s, or at least in theory they should.

vCash
    Hm if i like Drtg, so Pts allowed per 100 possesions for Team defenses. But maybe you should account for strenght of schedule.

The hoopsdata mesure seems interesting and the results seem more or less in line with what you would expect. Even OKC does not surprise me that much, i thought they had an outstanding defense last season.

I think with these stats it is pretty easy to get a picture which Teams are great defensively. I find it way harder to get a good picture of how good a single player is on defense with Advanced stats, because as far as i can tell most of these metrics depend to much on the teams ability to defend.