Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: PER vs APER

vCash

PER vs APER

John Hollinger's PER, which is one of the more complicated rating systems based on estimates, with pace factor and league averages factored in, or APER, which is a simplified version using actual unassisted and assisted field goals, instead of estimates. APER also includes APER also includes charges

http://hoopdata.com/advancedstats.aspx

This link rates players by APER. LeBron still leads easily. But with APER, outliers such as Nash, Melo, and Ginoboli enter the discussion for top 10 efficient players

Which do you prefer?

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    I prefer APER because it makes Tyreke and Carl Landry look better. In all honesty, I don't know enough about the differences between the two and everything that goes into each stat to even have an opinion.

Slap Hands!

vCash
    how is APER adjusted?

vCash
    I say PER because with PER I generally know who the top players are in the league yearly statistically and overall.

Not to mention when you look at the Greatest players ever, most of them have good PER and have led in PER a few times.
    "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
    - Michael Jordan

Thanks MJ-Bulls for the picture.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by daleja424 View Post
    how is APER adjusted?
    well, Hollinger uses estimates. This works very well, but APER uses actual assisted and unassisted, and factors in charges. Its actually a slightly less complicated formula, but its another overall efficiency rating out there provided by Joe Treutlein, who attempts to simplify Hollinger's PER rating.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    I have to see the actual formula for both, and see how unassisted and assisted FGs are factored into APER, to have a valid opinion.

That being said I prefer pace adjustments and league averages because usually it takes care of outliers from both end of the spectrum.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers4sho View Post
    I have to see the actual formula for both, and see how unassisted and assisted FGs are factored into APER, to have a valid opinion.

That being said I prefer pace adjustments and league averages because usually it takes care of outliers from both end of the spectrum.
    this is exactly the type of response I was looking for. Does taking estimates, or individual situations, give us a better reflection? I honestly think taking the estimates in Hollinger's forumla give us the better overall rating. The only thing I hate about PER is it rewards shot creation quite a bit. I am having problems finding out if APER does the same

vCash
    Any guesses as to why Nash, Melo, and Manu made the top ten in APER but not PER?

Another interesting observation is that the "efficiency rating" for most generally efficient players (19+ PER) increases when APER is used. For example, we now have D-Wade joining LeBron in the "30+" category.
    Last edited by lakers4sho; 09-24-2010 at 11:31 PM.

vCash
    Hm hard to say i don't think to much of either Rating on their own but PER seems to give a decent Picture of the efficiency. I didn't see the Formula that is used in APER but it from the Glossary it looks like it also adjusts for Pace and League average.

So i would have to take a closer look at APER to see if it can get additional infos or help evaluating a player.

vCash
    To be 100% honest I could care less either way cause honestly you could have the best of both and if u don't win neither of those stats mean jack! But if I had to choose I guess I would go with PER!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    John Hollinger's PER, which is one of the more complicated rating systems based on estimates, with pace factor and league averages factored in, or APER, which is a simplified version using actual unassisted and assisted field goals, instead of estimates. APER also includes APER also includes charges

http://hoopdata.com/advancedstats.aspx

This link rates players by APER. LeBron still leads easily. But with APER, outliers such as Nash, Melo, and Ginoboli enter the discussion for top 10 efficient players

Which do you prefer?
    I prefer three of the top five APER cat leaders not play for the same team? God, that team is going to ****ing dominate. It really is lame, I gotta say.

edit:
    I'll look a little closer at the stat later and actually try to post something slightly meaningful.
    Last edited by tredigs; 09-25-2010 at 11:13 AM.