Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Pre-game meals

vCash

Pre-game meals

Hey everyone,
    Pretty new to this forum...I hope to keep "active" in this forum.....

I have a football game tomorrow, I was just wondering what I should eat before hand...game is at 1....what does everyone else eat prior to a game/match/workout?
    Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose.

vCash
    Before I play basketball I try to eat an hour or so before hand and had a big meal with both complex carbs and protein. Usually a pasta dish with some type of meat in it or brown rice with some type of meat will do for me.

If I'm in a rush I usually have a protein shake and try to eat a few pieces of bread or atleast a bagel.

vCash
    Always eat before you pre-game, you get way more sick if you dont

vCash
    As MTone mentioned, you have to get in your carbs and protein in order for your body to be fueled for your game. Don't over eat otherwise you will be sluggish and tired. If you don't want that "heavy" feeling, then go for a good ol' protein shake!
    You Too Can Achieve This When You Visit The Fitness Forum!

vCash
    If you have tried eggs before a game or workout and it didn't have any negative effects [meaning, the dreaded bubbling stomach feeling], I would suggest going with that. Although, you'll want to eat those at least 2 hours before the game since it takes a while to really empty from the digestive system.

I would personally suggest a moderate portion of eggs and a good amount of fruit. The fruit can continued to be eaten until a little closer to game time since it completes digestion much quicker. Or if you don't tolerate much food before a game, you could go with a protein shake like Stamina suggested.

I would most definitely stay from bread, bagels, sugary foods, even most power bars and such. One of the worst things an athlete can do is put high glycemic foods in their body prior to competition. It spikes the blood sugar, releases insulin, and in turn makes your muscles more sluggish. Usually athletes can get away with eating that stuff immediately post workout, although the jury is still out on whether that is a good idea. Definitely wouldn't make those foods a staple though and definitely avoid them before competition.
    In case you weren't aware, there is now a Religion Forum here. All high-quality discussion welcome!

vCash
    I drink a protein shake and eat a fruit salad about an hour before the game.
    Hydrate!
    I drink a liter of water within two hours of the game, and half a gatorade 30 mins before.

I used to eat spaghetti but it'd make me feel sick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy951 View Post
    I drink a protein shake and eat a fruit salad about an hour before the game.
    Hydrate!
    I drink a liter of water within two hours of the game, and half a gatorade 30 mins before.

I used to eat spaghetti but it'd make me feel sick.
    Thanks for the help guys!

What position do (did) you play?

vCash
    In high school, I used to always eat whole wheat crackers with peanut butter and a big handful of almonds about an hour before warmups.

Any sort of Rice+Chicken dish will be good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Forte22 View Post
    Thanks for the help guys!

What position do (did) you play?
    No problem dude. I play on both lines. On offense, T & G (both sides) but primarily LT and on D i play every position, primarily NT/DT

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy951 View Post
    No problem dude. I play on both lines. On offense, T & G (both sides) but primarily LT and on D i play every position, primarily NT/DT
    Cool. I play RT and DE, I gotta say I like O-line more though...