Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

Calvin Johnson is overrated

So I've been watching alot of the posts in the Miles Austin thread and I see alot of posters here on PSD feel Calvin Johnson is an elite wr. My question is How? what has he done that warrants even average consideration? His 2010 stats read 8 catches for 95 yards and 1 td. Are people so mesmerised by his combine stats and measurables that they cannot see past his subpar production in 09 and now a miserable start to 2010? Discuss......
    Check Us out at http://profbdaily.com
    "We analyze what you see on Sundays"

vCash
    no he's not.
    props to dogersuck for the sig

2010 NFL PICK'EM:
    Last Week: 7-7
    Overall: 34-28

vCash
    It helps to have a decent QB throwing to you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bahama0811 View Post
    It helps to have a decent QB throwing to you.
    It helps to not always get double teamed all the time. It also helps to have a supporting cast around you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by drobe86 View Post
    So I've been watching alot of the posts in the Miles Austin thread and I see alot of posters here on PSD feel Calvin Johnson is an elite wr. My question is How? what has he done that warrants even average consideration? His 2010 stats read 8 catches for 95 yards and 1 td. Are people so mesmerised by his combine stats and measurables that they cannot see past his subpar production in 09 and now a miserable start to 2010? Discuss......
    His subpar production in 09 and this year is because he has nobody throwing it to him. The guy is an absolute beast.

And then. He made them pancakes.

vCash
    You do realize he plays for the lions and they dont have any other weapons to worry about? Man imagine if CJ was on the Saints/Texans/Colts

vCash
    I'm sorry but Calvin Johnson is better than Miles Austin. If Johnson had an accurate Qb like Romo targeting him almost every play then he would definitely put up the numbers that Austin does. It's no knock on Austin he is a great reciever and has played especially great to start the season but that doesn't mean a top 3 wr like he called in that other thread.

Props to Fly-Eagles-Fly for the Sig

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EaglesJackson10 View Post
    I'm sorry but Calvin Johnson is better than Miles Austin. If Johnson had an accurate Qb like Romo targeting him almost every play then he would definitely put up the numbers that Austin does. It's no knock on Austin he is a great reciever and has played especially great to start the season but that doesn't mean a top 3 wr like he called in that other thread.
    I agree with you as I don't believe Miles is top 3 because frankly he hasn't played long enough to warrant that. However he is better than CJ and the numbers show. I hear alot of people making excuses about his qb and blah blah blah. As I said every team in the league has an starting NFL caliber qb, if they didn't they wouldn't be there. You either make plays or you don't, and to be quite honest I haven't seen CJ make no plays. I'm jut being real....

vCash
    Swap Miles with Calvin and youd be saying the same thing about Austin.

vCash
    I knew a cowboys fan had put this up as soon as I had seen it. Just get over the fact that CJ is better than miles. Its not that big of a deal that Miles Austin is not a top 3 receiver. He is still a good receiver.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chitownbears89 View Post
    I knew a cowboys fan had put this up as soon as I had seen it. Just get over the fact that CJ is better than miles. Its not that big of a deal that Miles Austin is not a top 3 receiver. He is still a good receiver.
    CJ is not better than Miles and no I don't believe Miles is a top 3 wr. CJ is a 8-900 yard guy. Miles is 1300 + 11 td kinda guy. Check their resumes.....

vCash
    CJ is not better than Miles and no I don't believe Miles is a top 3 wr. CJ is a 8-900 yard guy. Miles is 1300 + 11 td kinda guy. Check their resumes.....
    Idiotic. Check their resumes? Calvin's resume is much better than Miles'. Did you even look at them?

I mean, Hell, Calvin's season in 2008 was just as good, if not better, than Austin's. He followed up with a 981 yard season in which he played 14 games. His team's record was 2-30 in that span.
    Last edited by Driven; 09-22-2010 at 12:41 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Driven View Post
    Idiotic. Check their resumes? Calvin's resume is much better than Miles'. Did you even look at them?

I mean, Hell, Calvin's season in 2008 was just as good, if not better, than Austin's. He followed up with a 981 yard season in which he played 14 games. His team's record was 2-30 in that span.

2008 season? There's only 1 problem Miles Austin wasn't even a starter in 2008. Let's compare them in 2009 and 2010. Exactly that's what I thought.....

Miles had over 1300 yards and 11 tds in 09 after starting 12 games.
    Calvin had 981 yards and what 5 tds in 09 after starting 10 games.

Lets check 2010 Miles has had 100 + yards in both games this season and a td.
    Calvin Johnson has 95 yards on 8 catches and 1 td in 2 games.

Now, don't give me the excuse of he played on a bad team and his team was 2-30. It doesn't matter you make plays. Ochocinco made plays on bad teams for years, as well as steve smith, as well as TO, as well as Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitz, and Andre Johnson has been on a bad team his whole career. So your point? Hell I can even use Miles as an example. The Cowboys are 0-2 and clearly one of the worst teams in the league right now. Yet, somehow Miles continues to show up every week and post 100 yard games. Get it?

vCash
    2008 season? There's only 1 problem Miles Austin wasn't even a starter in 2008. Let's compare them in 2009 and 2010. Exactly that's what I thought.....

Now, don't give me the excuse of he played on a bad team and his team was 2-30. It doesn't matter you make plays. Ochocinco made plays on bad teams for years, as well as steve smith, as well as TO, as well as Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitz, and Andre Johnson has been on a bad team his whole career. So your point? Hell I can even use Miles as an example. The Cowboys are 0-2 and clearly one of the worst teams in the league right now. Yet, somehow Miles continues to show up every week and post 100 yard games. Get it?
    Why the Hell are you just passing over his 2008 season like it was nothing? He ****ing had 1331 yards. He's played three seasons in this league. He has over 3,000 yards total. Yet he's a 800 yard guy? Based on what? Nothing? Your own ignorance?

Calvin's first three seasons have been better than Andre Johnson's first three seasons. And it's relatively safe to say, IMO, that Calvin is going to at the very least put up equal stats to Andre in both of their first 5 seasons (even if you consider Calvin a sub-1,000 yard receiver). What happened to Andre? He got a God damn QB who could throw the ball.

Let's compare Calvin's first three seasons to Fitzgerald's:

PHP Code:
         Johnson                               Fitzgerald
    Year     G     Yards                    Year    G   Yards
    1        15    756                        1     58    780
    2        16    1331                       2     103   1409
    3        16    984                        3     69    946
    Total    45     3071                    Total   45    3135 
    What's the difference here?

I don't get what you're arguing here. Calvin has strong stats. He had a strong rookie year, a spectacular second season and last season he had 984 yards in 14 games (more like 13, as he left in the 1st quarter of the Pittsburgh game with 1 reception for 2 yards). That translates to, what, 1100 yards in a 16 game season? My God that's awful. And oh man, he's off to a sub-par start this season. Wow. Awful. Because all great receivers have 16 games of 100 yards or more each season. And because Shaun Hill has a really strong arm. Come on. The dude is good for 1,000 yards per year.

Not to mention the fact that Johnson has been disappointing statistically through two games this season, and at this pace, he's still a 800 yard receiver.
    Last edited by Driven; 09-22-2010 at 07:53 PM.

vCash

If all these guys produce ALL THE TIME, then how do you explain these years?

Ochocinco: 2008 53 catches, 540 yards, 4 TDs, 13 games.
    Andre Johnson: 2005 63 catches, 688 yards, 2 TDs, 13 games.
    Anquan Boldin: 2004 56 catches, 623 yards, 1 TD, 10 games.
    Steve Smith: 2009 65 catches, 982 yards, 7 TDs, 15 games.
    Terrell Owens: 2009 55 catches, 829 yards, 5 TDs, 16 games.

What do all these years have in common?

a. you said all these receivers produce EVERY year, which clearly they don't.

b. All of them were during a year where the teams QB SUCKED.

Doesn't reason B. SOUND REMARKABLY SIMILAR TO THE LIONS LAST YEAR?!

Maybe that was why CJ's stats were down...

IN FACT. Looking at CJs stats last year, they pretty much on par with all of these guys... And that's not even looking at his 2nd year stats, which were downright PHENOMENAL considering his team (and quarterback) absolutely blew (in fact, their as good as Austin's 1 good year aren't they? imagine CJ with Romo ).

And the second sentence reeks of idiocy for the reason I just posted. It's not that their TEAMS sucked, it's that their QUARTERBACKS SUCK. So unless your willing to sit here and tell me Romo sucks I say your argument is baseless...

Get it?

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast