Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I only p[osted this becasue I thought it was a joke, and that any gathering of people would be for entertainment, not real politics.

vCash
    ^ Except it's specifically aimed at, and will the draw, the crowd of people out there who've blurred the lines between entertainment and their everyday lives. The people - students, adults, anyone - who reject anything that's not specifically designed for their entertainment and amusement. You know the type. The ones who can't take anything seriously.
    "If [Republicans] were around when Columbus set sail, they must have been founding members of the Flat Earth Society." -- Pres. Barack Obama

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DodgersFan28 View Post
    Looks like a rally to Restore Stupidity to me.

People know crazies are crazies. Why is this necessary?
    Quote Originally Posted by PraiseJesus View Post
    This rally is a pathetic idea.

That being said, I bet it is more entertaining than the Beck/Palin rally. That was 3+ hrs of yawning.
    Well #1, they're comedians, but the main point is that these crazies(on both sides) make up only 20% of the population, yet they control the debate and media coverage...while 80% of us are rational, moderate individuals who don't make the headlines with our rationale, and calm demeanor towards politics.

What's funny is the outcry from some posters who are trying to "de-legitimize" an event held by two comedians! Some feel the need to rush to the defense of the likes of Glenn Beck...b/c god forbid his feelings get hurt or he thinks people are poking fun at him. Meanwhile calling our president a "racist", and putting on nightly performances nightly, vying for a "revolution" or "revolt", is somehow accepted.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Schmooze
    Meanwhile calling our president a "racist"
    I lost count how many times I've seen and heard Beck apologize for that remark. Guess some will just never let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by The Schmooze
    What's funny is the outcry from some posters who are trying to "de-legitimize" an event held by two comedians!
    Some outcry. To date I've written exactly six sentences about the rally. I could honestly careless. I almost feel like I can feel my IQ dropping anytime I'm watching Comedy Central. Since it was the subject of the thread, I gave my opinion on it. I'm not trying to make any sort of outcry, or "de-legitimize" anything.
    "If [Republicans] were around when Columbus set sail, they must have been founding members of the Flat Earth Society." -- Pres. Barack Obama

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Schmooze View Post
    Well #1, they're comedians, but the main point is that these crazies(on both sides) make up only 20% of the population, yet they control the debate and media coverage...while 80% of us are rational, moderate individuals who don't make the headlines with our rationale, and calm demeanor towards politics.

What's funny is the outcry from some posters who are trying to "de-legitimize" an event held by two comedians! Some feel the need to rush to the defense of the likes of Glenn Beck...b/c god forbid his feelings get hurt or he thinks people are poking fun at him. Meanwhile calling our president a "racist", and putting on nightly performances nightly, vying for a "revolution" or "revolt", is somehow accepted.
    I agree there is a difference, but first let me point out a couple of things>

-Beck doesn;t mind being joked about. He says all the time that he thinks Stewert is a good comedian and thinks his jokes are funny.

-Beck also did apologize for making that "Obama is a racist" comment", and added he says things that, upon reflection, are assenine.

I think there will likely be a big difference between these events, if thats the right term for them. Beck's rally though, after I looked into it, was full of what I thought were excellent messages. I was surprised also to hear him say that even if folks didn;t believe in God, the moral principles could still apply, and he welcomed them to apply them like anyone else. The other thing I liked about his message was about giving back. I liked the fact that he acknowledged people out there need help, and since the government shouldn't fill that role, private citizens must. The idea of giving back through money or service I thought should ahve been a rally in of itself. Conservatives, IMO, don't emphasize this enough when delivering their message.

Now this other rally, I was hoping was more of an netertainment event. Becasue if it isn't, then Stewert IMO basically jumps the shark, and now delves into trying to become a legitimate journalistic entity. I find him a bit annoying, but I do like the message of having folks put down the brass knuckles and baseball bats and have a good echange without hating the other side so much. It could be a fine line between a good natured event and jsut arrogant mocking though, so I guess we'll just see how it plays out.

vCash
    I lost count how many times I've seen and heard Beck apologize for that remark. Guess some will just never let it go.

Some outcry. To date I've written exactly six sentences about the rally. I could honestly careless. I almost feel like I can feel my IQ dropping anytime I'm watching Comedy Central. Since it was the subject of the thread, I gave my opinion on it. I'm not trying to make any sort of outcry, or "de-legitimize" anything.
    Hey he said it didn't he? What's funny is when he did...nobody on "patriotic" FOX News even bothered to correct him. Should he not be held accountable for his own statements? I'd say calling the president a "racist", who has a "deep-seeded hatred of white people" is a big deal. That's why many people don't take him seriously when he holds events like he did...

I was referring more to PraiseJesus, but I've seen a ton of posts in other threads which echoed my initial post. The sad thing about the Daily Show or Colbert Report, is that they often "get it right" better than our media does. Of course they're comedians, but I like how they callout people from BOTH parties, by playing old clips or showing their hypocrisy.(and the fact they make fun of our clueless our media is).

vCash
    ^ Except it's specifically aimed at, and will the draw, the crowd of people out there who've blurred the lines between entertainment and their everyday lives. The people - students, adults, anyone - who reject anything that's not specifically designed for their entertainment and amusement. You know the type. The ones who can't take anything seriously.
    As opposed to those who take everything seriously?

I'm not a huge fan of this rally because it's in direct response to Glenn Beck, who should never be responded to, listened to, or acknowledged in any fashion.

I do like the idea of a rally for the 80% of us who are sane. And I hope the rally pokes fun at the crazies on both sides.

But at the end of the day, Stewart and Colbert are comedians. If the rally is funny, it's a success. That's the only criterion. If it's not funny -- waste of time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Schmooze View Post
    Hey he said it didn't he? What's funny is when he did...nobody on "patriotic" FOX News even bothered to correct him. Should he not be held accountable for his own statements? I'd say calling the president a "racist", who has a "deep-seeded hatred of white people" is a big deal. That's why many people don't take him seriously when he holds events like he did...

I was referring more to PraiseJesus, but I've seen a ton of posts in other threads which echoed my initial post. The sad thing about the Daily Show or Colbert Report, is that they often "get it right" better than our media does. Of course they're comedians, but I like how they callout people from BOTH parties, by playing old clips or showing their hypocrisy.(and the fact they make fun of our clueless our media is).
    Unlike most people. I see this "Rally for the Moderates" for what it is.

It is not a rally for anything except to make fun of Glenn Beck and the Tea Party movement.

You may claim it's just 'comedy', but I see it as nothing a but a political move by one of the loudest public voices for the democrats.

I also get irritated because Jon Stewart makes many outlandish statements but he always pulls the comedian card when he gets cornered.

I think Stewart is funny. I watch his show a lot. There is no doubt about that. But there also isn't a doubt that he is no moderate himself he is fastidious democrat.

So the idea of him having a Rally for Moderates is really asnine
    Proof that I'm Always Right: http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=756103
    and http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=773028

New Prediction: LeBron will be Knicks

vCash

It is not a rally for anything except to make fun of Glenn Beck and the Tea Party movement.

You may claim it's just 'comedy', but I see it as nothing a but a political move by one of the loudest public voices for the democrats.

I also get irritated because Jon Stewart makes many outlandish statements but he always pulls the comedian card when he gets cornered.

I think Stewart is funny. I watch his show a lot. There is no doubt about that. But there also isn't a doubt that he is no moderate himself he is fastidious democrat.

Well, c'mon. The definition of "moderate" is clearly intended to be quite expansive in this context. "Moderate" means the 80% in the middle -- which was explicitly stated -- and not the 20% crazies/zealots on the fringe.

Also, Stewart is a comedian and his programs always do strive for comedy. Even when he went on The O'Reilly Factor, he went for comedy more than anything. Oftentimes I don't find him funny in the slightest, but that doesn't suddenly make him a politician or not a comedian.

vCash

If you watch his show(as I do) you should know that he slams BOTH parties...regardless of his personal politics.

I'm sorry but Beck deserves everything he gets...but in this instance, it's AT BEST an indirect jab at him.

vCash

I really havent ever seen anyone "corner" Stewart to be honest. I do watch Fox News a lot and usually all they do is selectively edit clips of his show to make it seem like he is saying something different that kind of fits their agenda. Also i dont know that Stewart actually pulls the "comedian" card himself too much. The only time i really remember (he was making a joke about himself) by saying "hey, the show before me is just crank calling puppets".

Interestingly enough, he (Stewart) is going to be on Bill O'Reilly this Wednesday.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash

Once again I would love for somebody to provide an example of Stewart pulling the "comedian card" to defend his statements? I'm pretty sure he stands behind anything he says politically.

What I think you might be referring to is the criticism Tucker Carlson and Bill O'Reilly gave Stewart when interviewing him, accusing him of not grilling Dem's enough when they are on The Daily Show. To which Stewart would always say that he is followed by Crank Yankers or Battlebots and it's tough to play hardball all the time.

vCash
    I question the legitimacy of any "rally" that has the organizers handing out pre-made signs to attendees. Stewart plans to do exactly that.
    I question the legitimacy of any rally promoted by one cable network and staffed with their anchors across the country on "rally days"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    I really havent ever seen anyone "corner" Stewart to be honest. I do watch Fox News a lot and usually all they do is selectively edit clips of his show to make it seem like he is saying something different that kind of fits their agenda. Also i dont know that Stewart actually pulls the "comedian" card himself too much. The only time i really remember (he was making a joke about himself) by saying "hey, the show before me is just crank calling puppets".

Interestingly enough, he (Stewart) is going to be on Bill O'Reilly this Wednesday.
    He does do it though. He claims to have little influence on elections but we all know that he does have massive influence. We know that he takes shots at both sides, but the shots to the left are far fewer and usually light hearted. His shots to the right occur far more often and are filled with animosity and vitriol.

Such as his song, "Fox News go F yourself".

He is no better than Fox News. He is no better than Glenn Beck. He has his own agenda and beliefs like them and saying Fox News go F Yourself doesn't seem very moderate or fair and balanced to me.

But like some in this thread said, his Rally for Moderates is not a direct shot at Gleen Beck, Fox News, or the Tea Party. Nope. Not at all....
    Proof that I'm Always Right: http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=756103
    and http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=773028

New Prediction: LeBron will be Knicks

vCash
    He does do it though. He claims to have little influence on elections but we all know that he does have massive influence. We know that he takes shots at both sides, but the shots to the left are far fewer and usually light hearted. His shots to the right occur far more often and are filled with animosity and vitriol.

Such as his song, "Fox News go F yourself".

He is no better than Fox News. He is no better than Glenn Beck. He has his own agenda and beliefs like them and saying Fox News go F Yourself doesn't seem very moderate or fair and balanced to me.

But like some in this thread said, his Rally for Moderates is not a direct shot at Gleen Beck, Fox News, or the Tea Party. Nope. Not at all....
    How can you compare a comedian to a news network? He doesn't have the same responsibility to be "fair and balanced" or moderate, nor has he ever claimed to be. Of course his hits at the right will outnumber his hits at the left - he's a liberal.

Stewart's main gripe with Fox News is their claims to be a fair and balanced news organization.
    lol nothing matters

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast