Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Dustin Ackley dominating the AFL

Dustin Ackley (2B Mariners) has been abosolutely dominant so far in the AFL to the tune of a .456/.605/.807 line as of November 12th.

http://mlb.mlb.com/milb/stats/stats....pbp&pid=554429

This kid has a chance to be the opening day second baseman for the Mariners with only a year of pro ball under his belt. His approach and presence in the box are beautiful.

vCash

the best part is 23 walks and only 9 strikeouts

vCash
    Brandon Belt.

vCash
    Hi line has plummeted to .426/.576/.754

Cannot wait until he gets called up next year. I'd love to see him as the day 1 2B, but I think it depends on how his defense looks.

vCash
    Oh i can't wait till hes called up i know this is just AFL full of pitchers working on there technique but man hes dominating.

vCash
    I forget where Isaw it but I read that his defense has been pretty bad. So I think you might have to settle on him being an outfielder. Although an Ackley-Gutierrez-Ichiro outfield isn't exactly anything to be disappointed with.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jilly Bohnson View Post
    I forget where Isaw it but I read that his defense has been pretty bad. So I think you might have to settle on him being an outfielder. Although an Ackley-Gutierrez-Ichiro outfield isn't exactly anything to be disappointed with.
    That's not happening. The FO is determined to make him a 2B. His defense isn't awful and he's only been doing it for a year and he's been improving. It might just mean he won't get called up right away, but he'll be a 2B eventually.
    Last edited by OneTuzSea; 11-17-2010 at 04:54 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jilly Bohnson View Post
    There determined to make him a 2nd basemen. He doesn't bad great defense the scouts are saying now that his defense is average. I wouldn't mind moving him to LF if Saunders doesn't start showing his power numbers again though.

vCash
    Dustin Ackley was named 2010 AFL MVP.

vCash
    History has shown that the star performers in the AFL don't usually make a 'splash' in MLB until the the second season after their break out performance in the AFL. There are several examples of this.. You can check it out at the AFL stats roster from the past few years clearly showing this. The M's may take one of two approaches depending on where they think they are in their "cycle" w/r to contending:

1. The M's believe they have a chance to win NOW and Ackley would be an important piece that contributes toward contending.. If this is the case, in spite of Ackley's defensive defficiencies, he would be on the opening day roster..

2. The M's don't believe they will be a serious contender in 2011, but are on a path that gives them a much more attainable chance at contending in 2012.. Under this scenario, it would be wise to let Ackley get a bit more seasoning at AAA, refine his defense, and bring him up after he crosses the "super two" threshhold.. thereby retaining his rights for a full six years of MLB service..

Either way works.. and either way has been shown to be successful...

vCash
    I'd bet on scenario #2^

The Mariners aren't competing this season and Ackley loses nothing by spending a couple months at AAA. However, I think he'd be a big leaguer opening day if it weren't for the service time issue.

vCash
    worst case option he plays 1b. looks like a pure hitter great average
    MLB Stadiums: 12-30
    Sorry everyone i am a POOR SPELLER

Quote Originally Posted by sfattahian View Post
    I can't believe people think he is on roids. You must be the same people that actually think OJ Simpson was guilty.