Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 24 of 24
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    4,969
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by FOBolous View Post
    yes. it should. what does it accomplish? nothing. what can it lead to? racism. "studies" like this no doubt will lead to racism which...in hard times...will lead to racists like Hitler coming to power and try to commit genocide or control sex in an effort to create "a superior race."
    I'm disappointed to see you feel that way. I recognize the good that can be achieved, especially in the possibility of improving all areas for everyone. It really comes down to how many connections of neurons are made within certain regions of the brain that determine where one's strength lies mentally. The idea is to improve the connections in other areas without hindering those that already exist, if this is possible. Perhaps there is a limit to everyone's capacity to make these connections and there may be no way to improve one area without sacrificing another area. Those are the studies in process today.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    25,683
    vCash
    1500
    But people's are not limited by their race... Its a flawed and likely racist logic. People have made plenty of comments in the past about how black people were less intelligent, driven etc.

    Limitations based on race is inherently wrong. To be honest, telling people they have limits is wrong also. Isnt it the whole American dream to strive for better, to overcome all obstacles and be an overachiever. Isnt that the point of the whole country?

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    8,597
    vCash
    1500
    I don't think it's limitations for some reasons, more like a "head-start" for certain races whose anatomies give them an advantage, however slight that advantage may be.

    But yes, it could definitely lead to racism, hell it seems like it would be destined to, going off history at least.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    25,683
    vCash
    1500
    But even this headstart can be overcame and doesnt apply to all individuals to be honest. Looking strickly at race is flawed anyway as many other factors like cultural differences, economic class differences and language differences and of course how long ago arrival in America makes a huge difference.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    4,969
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by jrice9 View Post
    But people's are not limited by their race... Its a flawed and likely racist logic. People have made plenty of comments in the past about how black people were less intelligent, driven etc.

    Limitations based on race is inherently wrong. To be honest, telling people they have limits is wrong also. Isnt it the whole American dream to strive for better, to overcome all obstacles and be an overachiever. Isnt that the point of the whole country?
    I would say this is a naive view. Perhaps you're not grasping the full extent of what I'm saying. I never said there was no potential for everyone to be equal, it's more about recognizing how the brain works, what environmental factors may contribute to one persons strength or another persons weakness. Understand that the brain is also what determines athletic ability, the brain controls reactions and what part of the body gets more nourishment. If you spend all your time playing sports, you will become pretty good at sports but may fall short in academics. Likewise, if you spend all your time in academics, you will become pretty intelligent but may fall short athletically. In other words, there is likely a limit to overall capacity and a need for balance.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,132
    vCash
    1470
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrat218 View Post
    So let me ask, if it's ok to use science to determine why some races excel in different athletic endeavors, then wouldn't it be ok to use science to study differences in intelligence too? As I already said, there are a variety of reasons why the differences may exist, but are we so afraid of the politically correct extremists that we should not bother to try and understand what the differences are and why? I know there are already studies being done, and a lot of theories about why different results occur. Science has the ability to zoom in on what part of the brain is triggered while performing different tasks, understanding how the brain is wired, and recognizing certain regions of the brain are more developed than others. Some people have great hand-eye coordination, some people are clumsier than anyone else and have brilliant IQs. Why do some regions of the brain outperform other regions of the brain and is it something that we have the ability to alter?

    This just happens to be a subject I'm fascinated with and read a lot of science journals relating to it. Artificial Intelligence is the aspect that interests me the most, as well as scares the hell out of me the most.
    You might as well start a new thread because this topic has nothing to do with the original post. The guy who wrote this book isn't planning on using scientific research, from what I can see he has already come to his conclusion. That upper class people are inherently smarter than lower class people.

    Like you say scientist are already doing studies. And I have no problem with it. I just question how somebody would come to the conclusion that upper class people are smarter than lower class. I suppose you could somehow monitor brain activity in babies from different economical backgrounds. But to be honest I have no idea how this stuff works. You would know more than me.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    4,969
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry34 View Post
    You might as well start a new thread because this topic has nothing to do with the original post. The guy who wrote this book isn't planning on using scientific research, from what I can see he has already come to his conclusion. That upper class people are inherently smarter than lower class people.

    Like you say scientist are already doing studies. And I have no problem with it. I just question how somebody would come to the conclusion that upper class people are smarter than lower class. I suppose you could somehow monitor brain activity in babies from different economical backgrounds. But to be honest I have no idea how this stuff works. You would know more than me.
    The studies show it starts at a very young age. Children brought up in a bad neighborhood that may also experience violence in the home will develop survival instincts that are much more pronounced than children that grow up in a safe and loving environment. While one groups brain becomes hardwired for survival, the other groups brain is able to develop in other directions. Environment plays a huge role in future intelligence for children. It has nothing to do with race or class, it has everything to do with evolution.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    40,022
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrat218 View Post
    The studies show it starts at a very young age. Children brought up in a bad neighborhood that may also experience violence in the home will develop survival instincts that are much more pronounced than children that grow up in a safe and loving environment. While one groups brain becomes hardwired for survival, the other groups brain is able to develop in other directions. Environment plays a huge role in future intelligence for children. It has nothing to do with race or class, it has everything to do with evolution.
    My sister who is a 1st grade teacher, that children from upper class familys come to 1st grade hearing 5 million spoken words. Lower class children come to class hearing 1 million spoken words, by the time 1st grade comes.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    a cardbroad box under the overpass
    Posts
    3,407
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    My sister who is a 1st grade teacher, that children from upper class familys come to 1st grade hearing 5 million spoken words. Lower class children come to class hearing 1 million spoken words, by the time 1st grade comes.
    Environment plays a bigger role then genetics in a child changes for success. It's hard to break out of the cycle of poverty in any country. I have met working poor who are proud to be uneducated, imagine what they are teaching their children.
    Last edited by WES445; 09-14-2010 at 07:55 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •