Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Should the NFL allow players to push their religious beliefs?

Simple discussion.

I saw that we had a semblance of this topic being discussed in the immature Tim Tebow thread I created. However, this is a discussion I've heard from people specifically involving guys like Tim Tebow.

If we as NFL fans care about what players do off the field, specifically their behavior. Should we turn a blind eye or deaf ear to their social agenda? Tim Tebow uses every opportunity and outlet to push his Christian beliefs down everyones throat. Whether it comes from him quoting religious passages of The Bible or even going off into an actual sermon about the power of Jesus Christ.

Should we all be acceptive of their agenda?

One day we're going to come across a devout Muslim player or even a Mormon player on the influence level of Tim Tebow. If they began preaching their religion in public and promoting certain aspects that you disagree with, would you be acceptive of their opinion?

It seems like Muslim athletes aren't allowed to give their opinions about social issues through the media in this day and age. I know 2 Muslim NFL players that play for the Baltimore Ravens who wont admit their faith for fear it may hurt their image and their earning potential in the NFL.

AgrÃ*nio, Aitolia Kai Akarnania, Greece, Greece
    You don't like Tebow do you?

Yes. Whether you agree with them or not, you can at least respect that a player has something they believe in strongly. If you don't like it, you can choose not to listen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sssmush View Post
    no offense but the Spurs are freakin' communists bro. They should get with Stern's capitalist agenda like NOW

Yes. Freedom of speech.
    Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose.

I personally am not very religious and tend to turn the TV off or change channels when Tebow (or anyone else) starts quoting the bible or stuff like that. Religion just isn't my thing. I don't find it interesting to hear about when I'm watching sports. But that doesn't mean a player doesn't have the right to share his beliefs.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

of course, the question is why would they not be able to! Its called freedom of speech!

Absolutely, the only thing the NFL should govern is the play, the franchises and the crimes.

Seeing that I'm Muslim I would be acceptive. I dont think that Muslim's aren't allowed to voice their opinions. You just have to remember we live in a Christian country with a recently found prejudice towards Muslims.

Saying that I don't care if NFL players push religious beliefs. We live in America and we have the right to express ourselves. Especially outside the workplace. Its not like he is giving a sermon before the national anthem.

Already stated, but freedom of speech man.

Yankees/Chiefs/Nets/Jayhawks

Also I remember ESPN doing a bit on the Abdullah brothers from the Vikings and Cardinals. So its not like they are being shunned from the limelight.

Quote Originally Posted by chitownbears89 View Post
    Also I remember ESPN doing a bit on the Abdullah brothers from the Vikings and Cardinals. So its not like they are being shunned from the limelight.
    Was just gonna say that. And as a Christian, I respected the Abdullah brothers for keeping their religion first. I definitely think the players should have a right to push their religious beliefs.

Not to mention that there are players in other sports who do the same thing (David Robinson in the NBA, and many MLB players). The Astros put on "faith and family" nights where they have a player share their testimony and have a band play after the games. The NFL would look absolutely horrible if they started punishing players for speaking out like that, and I assure you Tim Tebow would only become more vocal if they did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sssmush View Post
    no offense but the Spurs are freakin' communists bro. They should get with Stern's capitalist agenda like NOW

Of course they should

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CHj0dMkK6A

New Video. Isles season highlights 2011-12!

this may be a dumb question..but in what instance would a player have the chance to "push" there religious belief? I just don't see any sports related question that should get a religious answer?
    GIFSoup
    GREATEST CATCH OF ALL TIME
    11.13.11 Jon Baldwin KC Chiefs Rookie

Get Whooped in some Madden 13 Private message me with your PSN name and get that *** smashed

Quote Originally Posted by EWOR View Post

One day we're going to come across a devout Muslim player or even a Mormon player on the influence level of Tim Tebow. If they began preaching their religion in public and promoting certain aspects that you disagree with, would you be acceptive of their opinion?

It seems like Muslim athletes aren't allowed to give their opinions about social issues through the media in this day and age. I know 2 Muslim NFL players that play for the Baltimore Ravens who wont admit their faith for fear it may hurt their image and their earning potential in the NFL.

There's already Muslim athletes that do their faith stuff and play football. Your just making too big of a deal about all this religion stuff.

Vikings' Husain Abdullah Plans for Ramadan Fast During Training Camp
    Abdullah, a Muslim, will refrain from all food and drink from sunrise to sunset during the holy month of Ramadan. This year, however, Abdullah has worked with the team's nutritionist to develop a plan for his diet during Ramadan, which will include waking up at 2 a.m. each night for just long enough to drink a protein shake, as well as having a big breakfast before sunrise and a big dinner at sunset.
    Abdullah Brothers balance faith, football, and fasting

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast