Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

The GOP response: how can 71% of America be wrong?

WHAT? Have you ever read a history book? This country is RIDDLED with examples where public opinion was bigoted, and in many instances, FLAT OUT RACIST.

1936 Gallup poll on women in the workplace- 82% say it is not okay

1959 Gallup poll on integration- majority of America responded either disapprove or strongly disapprove.

1982 Gallup poll on homosexuality- 82% of America feel it is WRONG

etc etc etc

I can cite as many as you would like. The point is this: Our country has a history that shows that the majority of our citizens tend to dislike change and tend to hate subjects they are uneducated on. The majority of American's don't know what the fair thing is. The majority of Americans tend to be close minded and prone to bigotry. The history books tell us this. Its sad that we have not yet risen above this history, and we continue to let it play out over and over again.

vCash
    I think that nowadays especially, it all stems from the media. Certain entities put out an aggresive propaganda campaign to fool the public, then point to the whichever polls they prefer and say "See?"

vCash
    I am actually writing to the opinion column of my school's newspaper on this matter. There is an opinion article by a staff columnist which refers to public polling and i feel it is horrendous to do so. I also refer to John Stuart Mills' concept of "tyranny of the majority" that is echoed in the founding fathers' vision of America (most notably James Madison).
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    Oh, so we let polls dictate public policy now?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OptimisticNot View Post
    Oh, so we let polls dictate public policy now?
    did you read my post?

if you did, you would know that my resounding response is HELL NO!

this country is only the place it is because insightful people took on the majority and won...

vCash
    I agree with you. But we have heard many times on this board, and from this administration, the people wanted this president, we should let him do his policies.

So it goes both ways.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    I agree with you. But we have heard many times on this board, and from this administration, the people wanted this president, we should let him do his policies.

So it goes both ways.
    IMO, I'm not sure it does.

One of the major arguments from opponents to healthcare reform, was to cite polls, and saying that "The People" didn't want it. Nevermind that in actuality, voters already expressed their desire to have it by electing Barack Obama. That's where I agree with OptimisticNot on this issue. The election in 2008 should obviously trump any polls out there.

I think it's actually a good political strategy, but in actuality I believe it stems from Republicans still wanting to do it their way. You see the tea partiers saying "they won't listen to us!", when they had it their way for 8 years already. Time to share your toys(not you personally bmd) and give the other party a shot.

vCash

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by The Schmooze View Post

One of the major arguments from opponents to healthcare reform, was to cite polls, and saying that "The People" didn't want it. Nevermind that in actuality, voters already expressed their desire to have it by electing Barack Obama. That's where I agree with OptimisticNot on this issue. The election in 2008 should obviously trump any polls out there.

I think it's actually a good political strategy, but in actuality I believe it stems from Republicans still wanting to do it their way. You see the tea partiers saying "they won't listen to us!", when they had it their way for 8 years already. Time to share your toys(not you personally bmd) and give the other party a shot.
    The election of 2008 was pretty much just a poll.

The side that has the polls in its favor refers to the polls. That's how things go.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by daleja424 View Post
    WHAT? Have you ever read a history book? This country is RIDDLED with examples where public opinion was bigoted, and in many instances, FLAT OUT RACIST.

1936 Gallup poll on women in the workplace- 82% say it is not okay

1959 Gallup poll on integration- majority of America responded either disapprove or strongly disapprove.

1982 Gallup poll on homosexuality- 82% of America feel it is WRONG

etc etc etc

I can cite as many as you would like. The point is this: Our country has a history that shows that the majority of our citizens tend to dislike change and tend to hate subjects they are uneducated on. The majority of American's don't know what the fair thing is. The majority of Americans tend to be close minded and prone to bigotry. The history books tell us this. Its sad that we have not yet risen above this history, and we continue to let it play out over and over again.
    Two things.

First, polls are snapshots of peoples instant reaction to a question. They tend not to be well thought out positions, and, even when they were, as your post points out, they change and from a historical perspective, and can certainly be wrong. Being one of the oldest members of PSD, I have seen some of these changes take place in my life time, which, in a historical context, is not very long.

Second, and maybe more important, and certainly way off topic, and completely out of place in this forum, you are going to be disappointed next June when the three-peat is celebrated in Los Angeles!
    Here is the question of the day, does anyone think that wealthy people should pay a lower percentage of their income to taxes than middle class people? Don't argue tax brackets, just a simple question. Do you think someone earning 46 million dollars should pay a lower percentage of their income than say someone earning sixty thousand?

vCash

Smile

The side that has the polls in its favor refers to the polls. That's how things go.

The tea partiers weren't exactly represented under President Bush. "Compassionate conservatism" is just liberalism with tax cuts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post

...and those opposed shrug polls off. I totally agree on that, but let's not compare polls to a national election.

Any idea on what these pollsters actually do, and why there's Republican and Democrat pollsters? I researched it, and was blown away. It's all political.

On the tea party...ironically they conveniently decided that the right time to protest was in January 2009

vCash
    ...and those opposed shrug polls off. I totally agree on that, but let's not compare polls to a national election.

Any idea on what these pollsters actually do, and why there's Republican and Democrat pollsters? I researched it, and was blown away. It's all political.

On the tea party...ironically they conveniently decided that the right time to protest was in January 2009
    Well. Obviously there's a difference. But I don't put much stock in election results either.

Also. About the Tea Party. It started as a reaction to the bailouts, which were started under Bush. While they are most upset with Obama, it's due to Obama's philosophy. I think the sense is that an opportunity was blown by President Bush, and now we are going down Obama's path.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by daleja424 View Post
    did you read my post?

if you did, you would know that my resounding response is HELL NO!

this country is only the place it is because insightful people took on the majority and won...
    I wasn't criticizing you, I was criticizing the situation. I keep hearing this figure of 70% getting thrown around by the GOP, and I just thought to myself since when do we let polls shape public policy?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cabernetluver View Post
    Two things.

First, polls are snapshots of peoples instant reaction to a question. They tend not to be well thought out positions, and, even when they were, as your post points out, they change and from a historical perspective, and can certainly be wrong. Being one of the oldest members of PSD, I have seen some of these changes take place in my life time, which, in a historical context, is not very long.

Second, and maybe more important, and certainly way off topic, and completely out of place in this forum, you are going to be disappointed next June when the three-peat is celebrated in Los Angeles!
    How's Bush's heisman working out for you guys?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OptimisticNot View Post
    I wasn't criticizing you, I was criticizing the situation. I keep hearing this figure of 70% getting thrown around by the GOP, and I just thought to myself since when do we let polls shape public policy?
    Since forever. Politicians rely on getting elected.

Popular opinion is a dumb way to do anything, but until we get a better system...Democracy is what we got. And the entire idea of democracy is based on popular opinion, so polls are going to have a certain level of weight in the political arena.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast