Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Deal Made? Quran not burned, Ny Isamic center moved?

GAINESVILLE, Fla. – The minister of a Florida church said he has canceled plans to burn copies of the Quran because the leader of a much-opposed plan to build an Islamic Center near ground zero has agreed to move its location. The agreement couldn't be immediately confirmed.

The Rev. Terry Jones said Thursday that Americans oppose the mosque being built at the location and that Muslims do not want the Quran burned. He said instead of his plan to burn the books on Saturday to mark the ninth anniversary of 9/11, he will be flying to New York to speak to Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf about moving the mosque.

"We are, of course, now against any other group burning Qurans," Jones said during a news conference. We would right now ask no one to burn Qurans. We are absolutely strong on that. It is not the time to do it."

President Barack Obama, the top U.S. general in Afghanistan and several Christian leaders had urged Jones to reconsider his plans to burn the Quran, Islam's holiest text that Muslims consider sacred. They said his actions would endanger U.S. soldiers and provide a strong recruitment tool for Islamic extremists. Jones' protest also drew criticism from religious and political leaders from across the Muslim world.

Jones said Imam Muhammad Musri of the Islamic Society of Central Florida told him that officials would guarantee that the mosque would be moved.

"I asked him three times, and I have witnesses," Jones said. "If it's not moved, then I think Islam is a very poor example of religion. I think that would be very pitiful. I do not expect that."

Musri thanked Jones and his church members "for making the decision today to defuse the situation and bring to a positive end what has become the world over a spectacle that no one would benefit from except extremists and terrorists" who would use it to recruit future radical
    yahoo.com
    YES

vCash
    But, you also have to love politics.

The argument: "Yes we have first amendment rights, but this is in poor taste" was essentially the exact same argument for both the mosque and Qur'an burning issues.

The other funny thing. "You can't take the acts of a few nuts, and project them onto the entire group" is a correct statement. But it's funny how that idea seems to come and go based on convenience.

During the Tea Party protests that idea had no weight. The act of any one nut in the Tea Party was immediately projected onto the entirety of the movement, and onto Fox News.

Then the Mosque story comes up, and they **** their own logic. It is no longer acceptable to blame the entirety of a group for the actions of its extreme members. In fact, it's downright offensive.

But then, the Qur'an burning controversy comes up, and they begin to blame Fox News and the GOP. The irony here is that Fox News and the GOP don't have anything to do with this guy. But, for some reason, the GOP is expected to come out opposed to this guy, or have it assumed that they support burning the Qur'an....which is the same perversion of logic that they were JUST POINTING OUT when Muslims constantly are asked to condemn terrorists.

It's ****ing insane.

vCash
    What an *******

vCash
    Pathetic that people would resort to doing something so violating to another group just to get their way.

It's really sad that this burning was going to be led by another religious leader, too.

vCash
    If I was the Imam guy, Id tell him to **** off. I understand that saving the Koran is perhaps the best religious move but giving into blackmail about your constituional right also seems ****ed up.

I would like if the Mosque was moved a bit farther away for everyone's sakes (it would help Muslim relationships with the West and not upset the 9/11 victim's families) but this shouldnt be the reason that is done

vCash
    What i heard on the news, is Imam is denying that he's going to not build it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    What i heard on the news, is Imam is denying that he's going to not build it.
    I will confirm your statement. This pastor might have been talking to some Iman, but not that one.
    Here is the question of the day, does anyone think that wealthy people should pay a lower percentage of their income to taxes than middle class people? Don't argue tax brackets, just a simple question. Do you think someone earning 46 million dollars should pay a lower percentage of their income than say someone earning sixty thousand?

vCash
    Bending to violent cowards is the absolute worst thing that could be done. He should put it up and say that we wont take be afraid of your religious intolerance.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    if it makes any of you feel better, my friend in g'ville said he drunkenly threw up on the church's property after the gator game last saturday (he lives in the outskirts of town near the church)
    JETSMETSKNICKSPENS
    GATOR BAIT!
    UCONN!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jrice9 View Post
    If I was the Imam guy, Id tell him to **** off. I understand that saving the Koran is perhaps the best religious move but giving into blackmail about your constituional right also seems ****ed up.

I would like if the Mosque was moved a bit farther away for everyone's sakes (it would help Muslim relationships with the West and not upset the 9/11 victim's families) but this shouldnt be the reason that is done
    Blackmail? lol I thought blackmail involved cash payments to hide some sort of embarrassing secret.
    Is it not also a constitutional right to burn a bunch of Qurans? Or bibles?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post
    But, you also have to love politics.

The argument: "Yes we have first amendment rights, but this is in poor taste" was essentially the exact same argument for both the mosque and Qur'an burning issues.

The other funny thing. "You can't take the acts of a few nuts, and project them onto the entire group" is a correct statement. But it's funny how that idea seems to come and go based on convenience.

During the Tea Party protests that idea had no weight. The act of any one nut in the Tea Party was immediately projected onto the entirety of the movement, and onto Fox News.

Then the Mosque story comes up, and they **** their own logic. It is no longer acceptable to blame the entirety of a group for the actions of its extreme members. In fact, it's downright offensive.

But then, the Qur'an burning controversy comes up, and they begin to blame Fox News and the GOP. The irony here is that Fox News and the GOP don't have anything to do with this guy. But, for some reason, the GOP is expected to come out opposed to this guy, or have it assumed that they support burning the Qur'an....which is the same perversion of logic that they were JUST POINTING OUT when Muslims constantly are asked to condemn terrorists.

It's ****ing insane.
    There is some obvious hypocrisy. Although, i think building the mosque and burning religious documents are way apart on that scale.

Also, and i can only speak for me, but i dont think Fox News is racist, bigotive, or anything like that. I think that their main opinion people (Beck and Hannity mostly) are extremely racist and bigotive.

The tea party is the same way, 99% of them are legitimately scared people of where we are going, but you have people in high up leadership who have proven to be bigotive. For instance, the leader of the Montana Tea Party (Big Sky Tea Party Assoc) was kicked out for making a very inappropriate comment. But you cant tell me that it was all a big shock that he had those kind of thoughts, they had to have known something. I dont label the members of this guy's view though. The same way i wouldnt criticize the stakeholders of a company like HP over their CEO's actions and allegations.

vCash
    This minister deserves to be hung by the balls. What a ****

vCash
    Reading that article. It doesn't seem like any deal has been reached.

Plus. That deal is ****ing stupid.

14. 09-09-2010, 08:01 PM
    Reason
    In retrospect, these really arent that connected to the thread

15. 09-09-2010, 08:23 PM
    Reason

16. 09-09-2010, 08:29 PM
    Reason

17. 09-09-2010, 08:32 PM
    Reason

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrat218 View Post
    Is it not also a constitutional right to burn a bunch of Qurans? Or bibles?
    How is burning anything a constitutional right? Is destroying things enshrined in the Constitution? I highly doubt it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    How is burning anything a constitutional right? Is destroying things enshrined in the Constitution? I highly doubt it.
    It has long been protected expression under the 1st amendment. The most obvious parallel is flag burning, which was in the court case "Texas v. Johnson" and "US v. Eichman". I have to disagree that it shouldnt be a constitutional right. While obviously burning the flag isnt spelled out, it can clearly be inferred.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast