Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    14,671
    vCash
    1500

    Trump offers to buy out investor in NY mosque site

    NEW YORK Donald Trump is offering to buy out one of the major investors in the real estate partnership that controls the site near ground zero where a Muslim group wants to build a 13-story Islamic center and mosque.

    In a letter released Thursday by Trump's publicist, the real estate investor told Hisham Elzanaty that he would buy his stake in the lower Manhattan building for 25 percent more than whatever he paid.

    "I am making this offer as a resident of New York and citizen of the United States, not because I think the location is a spectacular one (because it is not), but because it will end a very serious, inflammatory, and highly divisive situation that is destined, in my opinion, to only get worse," the letter said.

    Trump also attached a condition to his offer: He said that as part of the deal, the backers of the mosque project would need to promise that any new mosque they constructed would be at least five blocks farther away from the World Trade Center site.

    The current planned location is just two blocks north of the site. Opponents argue it's insensitive to families and memories of Sept. 11 victims to build a mosque so close to where Islamic extremists flew planes into the World Trade Center and killed nearly 2,800 people, while proponents support the project as a reflection of religious freedom and diversity.

    It's unclear how much control Elzanaty has over the property, which is owned by an eight-member investment group led by Soho Properties.

    A spokesman for Soho Properties general manager Sharif El-Gamal and his nonprofit group, Park51, did not immediately respond to a request for comment Thursday. Earlier in the day, the organization sent a statement to The Associated Press affirming that Soho Properties controlled the real estate and that Elzanaty was one of several investors.

    El-Gamal and other people associated with the Islamic center have refused to detail the ownership structure of the real estate partnership that holds the site.

    Elzanaty's lawyer did not immediately return a phone message Thursday. But in a pair of interviews with the AP this week, Elzanaty said he had invested in the site with an intention of making a profit and was willing to sell some of it for private development. He also said he supported building a mosque on at least part of the property.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100909/...c_mosque_trump

    While I think the current owners of the land have the right to build the mosque, this is a very good solution to the issue. Hopefully the investor takes Trump's money so people can stop talking about this.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    65,092
    vCash
    1500
    I actually dont have a problem with this solution. If someone wants to put their money where their mouth is (as Trump is apparently doing) that is fine. Just as they have every right to build the mosque, he has every right to offer them money to not do it, or to do it somewhere else.

    I dont think they should be offended and turn him away. This could be a win-win for both sides. They get more money to fund a community center (DONT read as mosque) and he will rake in money off the memory of 9/11. I assume that is why he wants the property, the huge sentimental value to be turned into cash value.
    Member of the Owlluminati!


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    32,745
    vCash
    1500
    Here is where this gets a little tricky. Trump offered 25% over what they paid. I believe records show they paid around 4.5 million dollars. The y rejected Trumps offer immediately and said if he was serious he would have said at least 20 mill. I like what Trump tried to do but I read there were some questions about what was paid for the building. While records indicated 4.5 mill the previous owner turned down a previous offer of 18 mill. So why would somebody turn down 18 mill and accept 4.5 mill?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    19,953
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by SLY WILLIAMS View Post
    Here is where this gets a little tricky. Trump offered 25% over what they paid. I believe records show they paid around 4.5 million dollars. The y rejected Trumps offer immediately and said if he was serious he would have said at least 20 mill. I like what Trump tried to do but I read there were some questions about what was paid for the building. While records indicated 4.5 mill the previous owner turned down a previous offer of 18 mill. So why would somebody turn down 18 mill and accept 4.5 mill?
    What's your source?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    32,745
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanian215 View Post
    What's your source?
    Ive read similar things in a couple of places but I just did a google search and this pulled up

    http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...b5MdehzkDDWY3H

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    19,953
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by SLY WILLIAMS View Post
    Ive read similar things in a couple of places but I just did a google search and this pulled up

    http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...b5MdehzkDDWY3H
    Wow that's crazy. Turning down $13 million for job experience.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Valencia, CA
    Posts
    3,780
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by SLY WILLIAMS
    So why would somebody turn down 18 mill and accept 4.5 mill?
    They have no real intention of doing anything but exactly what they plan to do, in the face of all the objectors. That's what they really mean by wanting to build bridges of tolerance, peace, sensitivity, bladdy bladdy bladdy blah.

    I hope Trump does up his offer to $20 Million just to demonstrate what's really going on.
    "If [Republicans] were around when Columbus set sail, they must have been founding members of the Flat Earth Society." -- Pres. Barack Obama

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    4,972
    vCash
    1500
    I think they will take it as an insult that someone thinks they can be bought off. I doubt this goes anywhere.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    32,745
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by DodgersFan28 View Post
    They have no real intention of doing anything but exactly what they plan to do, in the face of all the objectors. That's what they really mean by wanting to build bridges of tolerance, peace, sensitivity, bladdy bladdy bladdy blah.

    I hope Trump does up his offer to $20 Million just to demonstrate what's really going on.
    I'm not 100% sure about that. There are 3 different issues at play here in my opinion.

    1. Why did the previous owner sell for 4.8 mill after turning down 18 mill? Was there a cash payment under the table?

    2. Will the new owners (the SOHO group) sell for a profit? I believe that is possible. We have to separate the SOHO groups intentions from the Imans intentions.

    3. Can the Imam raise the kind of money that would satisfy the SOHO group?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    32,745
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrat218 View Post
    I think they will take it as an insult that someone thinks they can be bought off. I doubt this goes anywhere.
    I believe the SOHO group already said this week they would be open to a buyer at a profit before Trumps offer was made yesterday.

    I'd like to see Trump conditionally buy a piece of property/building 3-5 blocks away and offer a trade of properties plus a large sum of cash as an incentive.
    Last edited by SLY WILLIAMS; 09-10-2010 at 10:36 AM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    359
    vCash
    1500
    another political pr stunt. as long as we have palin, gingrich, and others weighing in on this despite it having no impact on them, the line of opinions will keep on going.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    19,671
    vCash
    1500
    Hopefully he will prevent these boogeyman Muslims from building a community center w/ a prayer room on this "hallowed ground". You know, right near that strip club and illegal poker joints.

    Trump is just being a good business man. He knows all the ridiculous pubilicity surrounding this "issue" will help him out in the longrun, especially if he ends up buying the property.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Valencia, CA
    Posts
    3,780
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by The Schmooze View Post
    Hopefully he will prevent these boogeyman Muslims from building a community center w/ a prayer room on this "hallowed ground". You know, right near that strip club and illegal poker joints.

    Trump is just being a good business man. He knows all the ridiculous pubilicity surrounding this "issue" will help him out in the longrun, especially if he ends up buying the property.
    Trump does see the location as a valuable piece of property. Who wouldn't? But Trump is also cognitive and sensitive to the real issue at hand which has nothing to do with Islamophobia or hatred of all Muslims at all, but the wisdom of the location of this Mosque/Comm. Center/YMCA with a crescent moon.

    Isn't it funny how it was wrong for a nutball to exercise his Constitutional right to burn a bunch of Korans, but it's totally ok for a group of Muslims to build a Mosque/Cultural Center/YMCA with banana moon 200ft. away from the WTC Ground Zero site?
    Last edited by DodgersFan28; 09-11-2010 at 10:40 AM.
    "If [Republicans] were around when Columbus set sail, they must have been founding members of the Flat Earth Society." -- Pres. Barack Obama

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    19,671
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by DodgersFan28 View Post
    Trump does see the location as a valuable piece of property. Who wouldn't? But Trump is also cognitive and sensitive to the real issue at hand which has nothing to do with Islamophobia or hatred of all Muslims at all, but the wisdom of the location of this Mosque/Comm. Center/YMCA with a crescent moon.

    Isn't it funny how it was wrong for a nutball to exercise his Constitutional right to burn a bunch of Korans, but it's totally ok for a group of Muslims to build a Mosque/Cultural Center/YMCA with banana moon 200ft. away from the WTC Ground Zero site?
    I don't find it strange at all, and the comparison between burning a religion's holiest book....and Muslims building a community center w/ a prayer room 2 blocks from ground zero is flawed, and laughable.

    It should be "totally OK" for them to build, IMO, b/c Islam didn't attack us on 9/11, correct? Unfortunately, too many people let the media scare them and rile them up over nothing. This Islamophobia needs to stop already.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    St. Louis, MO / SIUe
    Posts
    35,041
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by SLY WILLIAMS View Post
    Ive read similar things in a couple of places but I just did a google search and this pulled up

    http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...b5MdehzkDDWY3H
    Stuff like that makes you wonder what under-the-table side dealing went on there. Maybe a $20M transfer to an unnamed Swiss account or something. Because, the Post is right. $18M > $4.8M any way you look at it.

    The alternative of course is that the owners may have crashed and burned with the market over the last 3 years and needed quick cash to pay their debts? But then again wouldn't they have tried to field for a higher offer? I mean if that $18M guy was pissed about this low number, wouldn't he have been willing to still give more?

    It doesn't add up.

    That said, it could have gone for $100M and I really wouldn't care. Whoever owns the property can build whatever they please there as long as it doesn't violate any laws, codes, or rules.
    Member of the Owlluminati

    Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

  16. 09-13-2010, 06:23 PM

  17. 09-14-2010, 07:51 AM

  18. 09-14-2010, 08:28 AM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •