Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Ducks Defensemen

Since the retirements of Scott Niedermayer and Aaron Ward and the departures of Steve Eminger and James Wisniewski, the Ducks big issue of the season was rebuilding their defensive core. So far, their top four defensemen are: Lubomir Visnovsky, Sheldon Brookbank, Toni Lydman, and Andy Sutton. Now the issue becomes should the Ducks go out and sign or trade for two more Defensemen or go for two youngsters in their system or one each. What would you rather see the Ducks do and who do you want to see playing as the last two Ducks Defensemen.

The top watched Defensemen in the Ducks system:

Brett Festerling

Brendan Mikkelson

Luca Sbisa (rated as the Ducks top overall prospect)

Danny Syvret (signed to a one year contract from the Flyers this offseason)

Cam Fowler (Scott Niedermayer's future replacement)

Jake Gardiner (doubtful because he is still playing college hockey)

Mark Mitera

Jake Newton

Joe DiPenta (the Ducks returnee from the 07 championship team. Signed by the Ducks AHL affiliates this offseason)

Top remaining UFA Defensemen:

Shane Hnidy (former Duck)

Kim Johnsson (Has veteran experience and can be a big influence on the younger guys)

Mike Mottau (Devils having trouble resigning him. Ducks could jump on the former Hobey Baker award winner)

Paul Mara (Hard working veteran that if healthy could quite possibly suit the Ducks needs)

Mathieu Schneider (former Duck, but losing his touch. At age 41, most likely to retire in my mind)

Garnet Exelby (very physical. Fits Anaheim Ducks style hockey of rough and tumble)

Lucas Krajicek (could be a good seventh Defenseman, but he's lost his touch as a starter)

Marc-Andre Bergeron (former Duck. Top offensive D-man left. Great offensively, terrible defensively)

Defensmen who the Ducks cold possibly trade for:

Kevin Bieksa (Ducks were the top rumored team to trade for him, but now with Sami Salo out, it doesn't look like he'll be leaving the Canucks right now)

Sheldon Souray (If he goes back to being healthy and playing like he always does, then he'll be their best offenive D-man. They probably wouldn't have to trade much to get him because of the poor year he had last year)

Tomas Kaberle (not going anywhere now, but could have his no trade clause re-waived later on in the season. They were originally interested, but probably not anymore until he becomes a UFA next offseason)
    Last edited by bbpagewolf; 09-04-2010 at 10:19 PM.

vCash
    Me personally, I'd like to see Cam Fowler and Luca Sbisa as their fifth and sixth Defensemen. If they play, then they'll be good with what they have. What do you think?

vCash
    i say luca sbisa for sure as the fifth and maybe syvret. they should let fowler develop a little longer and not rush him

vCash
    Personally, I think he's ready, but only training camp will tell. Syvret seems like more of a seventh Defenseman to me, I don't think he'll be a starter.

vCash
    For the Ducks I'd definitely pull for Fowler and Sbisa. They are the future of your blueline and Fowler was the most NHL ready player out of the draft this year in my opinion, maybe 2nd to Gudbranson, but yes, mroe ready than hall or Seguin. Sbisa could have a breakout year this year imo, so id go with them too. Syrvet or Festerling should be the 7th

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CHj0dMkK6A

New Video. Isles season highlights 2011-12!

vCash
    no love for schultz?

vCash
    Sbisa is the 5th defenceman for sure. Mikkelson and Festerling probably round out the 7 defencemen. Fowler isn't ready.