Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanian215 View Post
    By the way, all Christians should come out and denounce burn a Quran day.
    Such a Christian thing to do... so tolerant, loving, and compassionate... Here is a more positive example in Memphis, where a church congregation is inviting muslims to share their church facility while their mosque is being built (across the street) during Ramadan:
    http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...ommon-threads/

Its one of the worst things people can ever do when they hide their personal hate behind a religion. Everyone ends up getting screwed in the end because of a few ignorant a holes with a real internal anger management problem.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanian215 View Post
    By the way, all Christians should come out and denounce burn a Quran day.
    Absolutely.

Just like ALL Muslims are supposed to be responsible for the actions of everyone who is Muslim, so too must ALL Christians be responsible for the actions of everyone who is Christian. It's only fair!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Schmooze View Post
    Absolutely.

Just like ALL Muslims are supposed to be responsible for the actions of everyone who is Muslim, so too must ALL Christians be responsible for the actions of everyone who is Christian. It's only fair!
    Nice the Pope denounced them!
    The Vatican on Wednesday denounced as "outrageous and grave" plans by a Christian minister in Florida to burn copies of the Quran to mark the Sept. 11 anniversary.
    http://news.yahoo.com/topics/pope-vatican

Not quite DF28's smacking though but he's a peaceful person.

vCash
    Absolutely.

Not Christians. Conservatives. Conservatives are going to be blamed for the "burn a Qur'an day" thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post
    Not Christians. Conservatives. Conservatives are going to be blamed for the "burn a Qur'an day" thing.
    From what i have seen they are being blamed for staying quiet on it. I really havent seen any of the mainstream leaders denouncing it. Everyone i have spoken with personally has, but no one in the mainstream of the leadership has denounced it, at least that i have heard.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    As a certified liberal, I am not blaming Christians or Conservatives for this whack job. The only blame I would cast is if a leader of any group, when asked, fails to acknowledge this. DF28 said it best for both groups and I mean that sincerely.

DF28 in this thread

I wish I could whack the guy behind that upside his head. Total & complete moron.
    Last edited by cabernetluver; 09-08-2010 at 07:06 PM. Reason: added df28 quote
    Here is the question of the day, does anyone think that wealthy people should pay a lower percentage of their income to taxes than middle class people? Don't argue tax brackets, just a simple question. Do you think someone earning 46 million dollars should pay a lower percentage of their income than say someone earning sixty thousand?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    From what i have seen they are being blamed for staying quiet on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087
    Honestly, i would be offended if people asked me to condemn all the acts that white people had committed.

vCash
    Key word, leader. Leadership casts a burden to, and I realize this is circular, but I cannot figure how to say this any other way, should lead. For the rest of us, not necessary.
    Here is the question of the day, does anyone think that wealthy people should pay a lower percentage of their income to taxes than middle class people? Don't argue tax brackets, just a simple question. Do you think someone earning 46 million dollars should pay a lower percentage of their income than say someone earning sixty thousand?

vCash
    I don't share quite the anti-burning sentiment expressed in this thread by most posters.

In fact, I would support the burning of the Qur'an for different reasons. Their reasoning is foolish. However, I will use South Park as an example. South Park has an episode where a statue of the Virgin Mary shoots blood out of her *** onto the face of the pope. That aired. Comedy Central wussed out of an episode where they planned to show an image of the prophet Mohammed (even though they have before) Comedy Central wouldn't let them air the image of Mohammed in South Park's "Family Guy" episode.

In a subsequent episode, the South Park creators thought they found a loophole, so they put Mohammed in a bear costume. This episode was banned.

So. There is a stream of thought out there that says you can make fun of everything, except Islam. That isn't right. In response to that, I would support burning of the Qur'an. They are saying "You can not insult Islam" and I think "Yes I ****ing can, watch!" is the correct response.
    Last edited by gcoll; 09-08-2010 at 07:22 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cabernetluver View Post
    As a Jew, I think you said it wrong. All Americans, not just Christians, should come out for the denunciation. I just don't want to point at any group in particular for this horrible idea of burning anyones holy books as a positive statement.
    Sorry I was trying to be sarcastic. I couldn't care less if anyone denounced their actions.

vCash
    I don't share quite the anti-burning sentiment expressed in this thread by most posters.

In fact, I would support the burning of the Qur'an for different reasons. Their reasoning is foolish. However, I will use South Park as an example. South Park has an episode where a statue of the Virgin Mary shoots blood out of her *** onto the face of the pope. That aired. Comedy Central wussed out of an episode where they planned to show an image of the prophet Mohammed (even though they have before) Comedy Central wouldn't let them air the image of Mohammed in South Park's "Family Guy" episode.

In a subsequent episode, the South Park creators thought they found a loophole, so they put Mohammed in a bear costume. This episode was banned.

So. There is a stream of thought out there that says you can make fun of everything, except Islam. That isn't right. In response to that, I would support burning of the Qur'an. They are saying "You can not insult Islam" and I think "Yes I ****ing can, watch!" is the correct response.
    You sure do watch South Park a lot. Or at least I seem to remember you using it in prior statements. That said, there is to me, so by definition, I get to define how things appear to me, to be a difference between a television show and a minister/rabbi/priest/iman. I have different expectations from a shock show than I do from religious leaders. That there are far more people who watch South Park than attend this fellows church is not my measuring stick, it is their position.

One is meant to entertain and the other is meant to give moral guidance. South Park chose to not run the episode for what reason?

Not once, in anything you have ever seen of my comments, have I ever insulted anyones religion. I would have preferred if South Park did not insult anyones religion. So, if nothing else, I am consistent on this, and, for the record, so are you. We just have a different point of view on the subject.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cabernetluver
    South Park chose to not run the episode for what reason?
    Comedy Central censored the image of Mohammed in fear of a violent backlash. The creators of South Park wanted it shown. The second episode was pulled (by Comedy Central again) after death threats started getting tossed about.

vCash

I don't get it. Whether or not you think Comedy Central should have aired the episode, the episode was most certainly created in the name of comedy. Burning a Qur'an isn't funny; it's just offensive.

Actually, I was the fence about the first episode you referred to (no costume). I mean, obviously I don't think it should be censored, but doing something that will only serve to offend people is never a good idea (key word: only). There has to be a comedic or a satiric element. That first episode didn't seem to have either, at least from reports. The second episode is different, of course, because they had an actual point to make (stemming from the banned episode), and it was a pretty damn clever and funny idea.

I knew a guy once that thought it would be funny to hold a rally and yell the most racist things possible, all with a straight face. He wasn't a racist and definitely would have been joking, so he thought that that would make it funny (even if he was the only one who got the joke). Then I pointed out that, um, this "joke" would be entirely indistinguishable from a Klan rally. Bad idea.

So I guess the moral is pay attention to how things come across (well, that and don't smoke yourself stupid). While burning a Qur'an may seem like a way to make a point, is that minor point really worth the near certainty that it will be horribly offensive to tons of people?
    Last edited by philab; 09-08-2010 at 08:49 PM.

vCash
    Absolutely.

So let me get this straight.. In order to show that Christians are more mature than Muslims, we should do the same things they do? Thats the solution? Because if we burn Qurans they are going to say "Hmph, they burned Qurans, it is probably because we burn Bibles, so therefore we are even and we will never do it again.."

Smart

vCash

Why can't we make fun of Islam? There's more ways of making fun of Islam than having a depiction of Mohammed.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast