Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

NYC Mosque's Link to Terror "Found"... What's Next?

A key financial backer of the proposed Islamic center near Ground Zero once contributed to a U.S.-designated terror group, MyFox New York reports.

Egyptian-born businessman Hisham Elzanaty, who made what is described as a "significant investment" in the Ground Zero mosque project,contributed more than $6,000 in 1999 to the Holy Land Foundation for Relief and Development, also known as HLF, tax records show.

The donations came two years before the federal government shut down HLF and designated it a terror group. Elzanaty's attorney told MyFox New York that his client believed at the time that he was donating to an orphanage. Elzanaty did not respond to questions.

Federal investigators say the group was set up as a Texas-based charity, but in fact supported Hamas.

Ray Locker, managing director of The Investigative Project on Terrorism, told MyFox New York that even in 1999, news outlets reported on possible ties between HLF and terror organizations.

Five HLF leaders were convicted in 2008 of providing support to Hamas.
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010...-terror-group/

MYFOXNY.COM - Fox 5 News reported Thursday that one of the financial backers of the Islamic mosque and cultural center project in Lower Manhattan once contributed to a terror group, although the investor says the contribution was made because he thought he was giving money to a harmless charity.

One of the key players in Sharif El-Gamal's Mosque near Ground Zero is Egyptian born businessman, Hisham Elzanaty. Fox 5 News has learned exclusively and confirmed with Mr. Elzanaty’s attorney that Elzanaty made a “significant investment” in the development of the mosque near Ground Zero.

Fox 5 has also uncovered Elzanaty has teamed up with El-Gamal on at least two real estate deals: the controversial mosque site and another deal involving a commercial property in the Chelsea section of Manhattan.

In the Chelsea deal, mortgage documents show Elzanaty played a major role signing off as the guarantor on El-Gamal's $39 million mortgage.

When Fox 5 News reporter Charles Leaf tracked down Elzanaty outside his Long Island home in Roslyn Heights last week Elzanaty avoided the camera and did not answer a single question about his business dealings with El-Gamal.

Fox 5 News has also learned that in 1999 Hisham Elzanaty sent money to an organization that would later be deemed by the U.S. government to be a terrorist group.

The organization was the Holy Land Foundation for Relief and Development, also known as HLF. The now defunct group’s 1999 tax records show Elzanaty contributed more than $6,000 to HLF.

Two years later, in 2001, HLF was shut down by the federal government and designated as a global terrorist. After a mistrial in 2007, in 2008 five HLF leaders were convicted of providing material support to Hamas.

The Investigative Project on Terrorism (IPT) is a non-profit research group that focuses on radical Islamic terrorist groups. The research group shared its information on HLF with Fox 5 News and IPT’s Managing Director, Ray Locker tells us HLF, “masked what their true purpose was, they funneled money to Hamas which used that money to conduct terrorist operations. In many cases they gave that money to the widows and children of so-called martyrs. ”

Federal investigators say HLF was set up as the largest Muslim charity in the United States based in Richardson, Texas, but from its inception the group existed to support Hamas.

Mr. Elzanaty's attorney tells Fox 5 News exclusively his client believed he was making contributions to an orphanage.

But IPT’s Ray Locker claims even back then TV and newspapers were reporting suspicions of the group’s ties to terror. “If you gave money (to HLF) in 1999 you probably had some inkling that HLF was giving money to Hamas and therefore to terrorist operations,” Locker says.

Mr. Elzanaty's contribution to HLF came in the same year his Egyptian parents, Abdou Elzanaty and Abed Raboh Fawkia Elzanaty, were killed in a plane crash. On October 31, 1999, Egyptair flight 990 left New York’s John F. Kennedy Airport bound for Cairo, but crashed in the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Nantucket Island killing 217 people. U.S. investigators concluded the flight’s pilot deliberately crashed the plane in a suicide, while Egyptian investigators disagreed, concluding the flight had mechanical problems.

Elzanaty’s attorney tells Fox 5 the tragic plane crash changed Mr. Elzanaty's life and brought him closer to Islam.
    http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/loca...ation-20100902

vCash
    When Fox 5 News reporter Charles Leaf tracked down Elzanaty outside his Long Island home in Roslyn Heights last week Elzanaty avoided the camera and did not answer a single question about his business dealings with El-Gamal.
    They say this as if they walked up to him and politely asked him to answer a few questions. If any of us dealt with this "track[ing] down" we would call the police im sure.

Here are the two important quotes:

Mr. Elzanaty's attorney tells Fox 5 News exclusively his client believed he was making contributions to an orphanage.
    Mr. Elzanaty's contribution to HLF came in the same year his Egyptian parents, Abdou Elzanaty and Abed Raboh Fawkia Elzanaty, were killed in a plane crash. On October 31, 1999, Egyptair flight 990 left New York’s John F. Kennedy Airport bound for Cairo, but crashed in the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Nantucket Island killing 217 people. U.S. investigators concluded the flight’s pilot deliberately crashed the plane in a suicide, while Egyptian investigators disagreed, concluding the flight had mechanical problems.
    First quote, the guy thought he was helping abandoned children; second quote, how could he "support terrorism" after his parents died in that manner.
    ___

Also a third component that gets ignored is how could the guy who owns 7% of NewsCorp do business with this guy! Does he support terrorism?
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    Assuming the US government already knew about this, then this really changes nothing.

As long as the investors/developers are not a threat to national security and have not broken any laws, there's nothing to stop this cultural center from being built. I've yet to see anything that suggests a threat to national security. And I'm assuming that since Elzanaty is not in prison, this donation to HLF was not viewed by federal prosecutors as aiding a terrorist organization. So ... still a bunch of nonsense?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by philab View Post
    Assuming the US government already knew about this, then this really changes nothing.

As long as the investors/developers are not a threat to national security and have not broken any laws, there's nothing to stop this cultural center from being built. I've yet to see anything that suggests a threat to national security. And I'm assuming that since Elzanaty is not in prison, this donation to HLF was not viewed by federal prosecutors as aiding a terrorist organization. So ... still a bunch of nonsense?
    as is this entire fabricated, politicized debate.

vCash

No, it's not nonsense. The entire issue from Day 1 was an issue of, "Yes you have a constitutional right to freedom of religion, BUT WE'D REALLY APPRECIATE IT IF YOU WOULDN'T BUILD IT SO CLOSE TO WHERE MEMBERS OF YOUR RELIGION KILLED OUR LOVED ONES!!11!1!1!!"

That was it, and because those people dared to express their feelings publicly, the other side started bringing in all sorts of straw men & red herrings to the point that Islamophobia has become the new homophobia. That's the real nonsense that's going on.
    "If [Republicans] were around when Columbus set sail, they must have been founding members of the Flat Earth Society." -- Pres. Barack Obama

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DodgersFan28 View Post
    No, it's not nonsense. The entire issue from Day 1 was an issue of, "Yes you have a constitutional right to freedom of religion, BUT WE'D REALLY APPRECIATE IT IF YOU WOULDN'T BUILD IT SO CLOSE TO WHERE MEMBERS OF YOUR RELIGION KILLED OUR LOVED ONES!!11!1!1!!"

That was it, and because those people dared to express their feelings publicly, the other side started bringing in all sorts of straw men & red herrings to the point that Islamophobia has become the new homophobia. That's the real nonsense that's going on.
    So all this nonsense of it being a secret terror cell is just imaginary right? There's definitely none of that going on. It's just a matter of 1 more block north.
    Member of the Owlluminati

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

vCash

NYC Mosque's Link to Terror "Found"... What's Next?

What's next?

More face scanners, more cameras at every corner, more warrantless searches, more foreign invasions. Save us from the "terror" PLEASE!

vCash

If a group of Muslim Americans wanted to build a mosque in your local community, would that be okay with you, or would that NOT be okay with you?
    72% Would be okay
    23% Would NOT be okay
    5% Don’t know
    What do you make of this?

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SLY WILLIAMS View Post
    While a DUI and disordly conduct is nothing to be proud of it isnt close to the charges the article makes it seem there are. There are no terrorism charges or links against this man directly so I dont see why his background matters

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SLY WILLIAMS View Post
    The thing that caught my eye was it says he owes roughly a quarter-of-a-million in back taxes. But all it provides is links to "Entity Information" to properties, which may or may not be his, here is an example:

http://appext9.dos.state.ny.us/corp_...results_page=0

Secondly, you cant see anywhere (because it is what they use to cite the data) that any tax money is owed. It is a link to the Dept of State for NY, but there is no financial data to it. You have to pay to get access to it.

http://pibillwarner.wordpress.com/20...-mob-enforcer/
    ___

Ths is all sounding like a lot of McCarthyism to me, i guess Muslim is the new Commie.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    Exactly. What in that statement makes sense?

I mean, I can go picket the family moving in next door until the cows come home, but it would still be a bunch of nonsense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jrice9 View Post
    While a DUI and disordly conduct is nothing to be proud of it isnt close to the charges the article makes it seem there are. There are no terrorism charges or links against this man directly so I dont see why his background matters
    A history of violence, promoting prostitution, criminal arrests and lying under oath may or may not matter. I can not say. I was surprised to see he was a waiter not too long ago. Sounds like some of these revelations came as a surprise to some other folks in this other article

http://news.yahoo.com/s/dailybeast/9...oundzeromosque

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ari1013 View Post
    So all this nonsense of it being a secret terror cell is just imaginary right? There's definitely none of that going on. It's just a matter of 1 more block north.
    For anyone making a remotely sane argument against the proposed Mosque, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanian215 View Post
    What do you make of this?
    People are a lot more tolerant than a very small, but very vocal group of hate-mongering falsehood-spouting divisive clowns are currently making them out to be.

Exactly. What in that statement makes sense?

I mean, I can go picket the family moving in next door until the cows come home, but it would still be a bunch of nonsense.
    It might seem like nonsense, but I know how I'd feel if there was a huge terrorist attack at, say, the theme park where I work, and it killed hundreds of my fellow co-workers and thousands of guests. I know how that would have a devastating impact on where I live. I know that, even 10 years later, there would still be a HUGE animosity toward anyone who'd support the religion from which the terrorists came from. While I personally didn't lose any family or friends at the NYC WTC, just as a fellow human being I have to empathize with how they feel about this.

Let's not forget that the cultural center/Mosque's main supporters are DELIBERATELY planning to open the place on September 11, 2011 - exactly 10 years to day of the 9/11 attacks. Tell me there's not a connection there.

Also, the Mosque/cultural center's supporters claim to be all about building bridges of tolerance. Have they no idea how much further to that goal they'd be if they came out and stated that out of consideration for 9/11 victims' families, they would choose a location elsewhere in Manhattan for their Mosque/cultural center?
    "If [Republicans] were around when Columbus set sail, they must have been founding members of the Flat Earth Society." -- Pres. Barack Obama

vCash
    People are a lot more tolerant than a very small, but very vocal group of hate-mongering falsehood-spouting divisive clowns are currently making them out to be.
    I see it as one out of five Americans do not want a mosque in their community, regardless of where they live. Maybe I'm wrong.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast