Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Sabermetrics literature

I have been cautious of sabermetrics here and there, but as of late they have intrigued me. I came through here and am thoroughly impressed with everyones well put reasoning and assembly of data. Recent hours of mine have been spent reading up on wOBA, BaBIP, wRAA and so on.

So before I delve further into sabermetrics I was wondering if there is any good beginner material that someone would be able to point me towards?

I am very interested in THE BOOK, but I was concerned it may be too advanced for my liking this early on.

Any insight is welcome! Thanks

sabermetrics book

RangersandMets, You might want check out my book "Beyond Batting Average". It covers every statistic from batting average to the most modern sabermetric stats in detail. It gives clear explanations and examples of each stat, tells how and when to use them and lists strengths and weaknesses of each stat. It's written for beginners but it includes just about every baseball stat you see people using on the internet. You can preview it here:

http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fStoreID=873874

or

http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Batting...5924849&sr=1-1

Lee

I agree- Lee's book is absolutely perfect for beginners.
    My blog- analysis of the San Francisco Giants, Baseball, and Sabermetrics.

Baseball Between the Numbers is what got me started on this stuff. Although granted, I didn't fully read the book.

Take a statistics class I took AP stat senior year of high school. That made me realize how good these stats are and how people dont even realize how stupid they sound when they say these stats are stupid.

Taking Stat again which is reinforcing everything at this point. Although doesn't mean I agree with using all of them. Like xFIP hate that stat I honestly think it is useless
    Jackie Bradley Junior.... that is all

Thanks for great ideas guys!

Quote Originally Posted by papipapsmanny View Post
    Take a statistics class I took AP stat senior year of high school. That made me realize how good these stats are and how people dont even realize how stupid they sound when they say these stats are stupid.

Taking Stat again which is reinforcing everything at this point. Although doesn't mean I agree with using all of them. Like xFIP hate that stat I honestly think it is useless
    Despite having the highest predictive value of the mainstream advanced pitching statistics? How is that useless?

Because it assumes all flyballs that arent homeruns are luck, except if the rate is around 10%.

Which I dont think is fair to regress everyone to the average. Plus In Theory if a pitcher say gives up a high ratio of HRs/FBs and a lot of them are solo homeruns could have a better xFIP

Than a guy who has the same FIP who gived up around 10% HR rate but there are more people on base when he gives up HRs.

Plus It seems only good when attempting longterm expectations, because Buchholz has basically defied it all year.

Because it assumes all flyballs that arent homeruns are luck, except if the rate is around 10%.

Which I dont think is fair to regress everyone to the average. Plus In Theory if a pitcher say gives up a high ratio of HRs/FBs and a lot of them are solo homeruns could have a better xFIP

Than a guy who has the same FIP who gived up around 10% HR rate but there are more people on base when he gives up HRs.

Plus It seems only good when attempting longterm expectations, because Buchholz has basically defied it all year.
    That's kind of the point. It's a predictive stat, not necessarily for evaluation purposes.

I find it curious that you don't like the statistic while at the same time the statistic doesn't like Buchholz.

Fun fact: Of the top 10 guys in HR/FB%, all of them have higher HR/FB% this season accompanied by a higher ERA:

Kershaw, Greinke, Carpenter, Lincecum, Zambrano, Jurrjens, Lee, Piniero, Maholm.

Coincidence?

Which I dont think is fair to regress everyone to the average.
    You always regress to the mean if you're looking to predict future performance. Players that beat the regression year in and year out are the exception; not the rule.
    My blog- analysis of the San Francisco Giants, Baseball, and Sabermetrics.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantes4Life View Post
    That's kind of the point. It's a predictive stat, not necessarily for evaluation purposes.

I find it curious that you don't like the statistic while at the same time the statistic doesn't like Buchholz.

Fun fact: Of the top 10 guys in HR/FB%, all of them have higher HR/FB% this season accompanied by a higher ERA:

Kershaw, Greinke, Carpenter, Lincecum, Zambrano, Jurrjens, Lee, Piniero, Maholm.

Coincidence?
    It has nothing to do with me liking buchholz, u can look at my posts regarding this for awhile now i have never really liked the stat.

It regressed everything back to around 10.3% or so. So I am just to assume the residual is all ******** because someone didn't get the predicted value?

I just don't like the stat, I always look at ERA, than FIP to see if someone is getting lucky. I really like FIP probably my favorite pitching stat

It has nothing to do with me liking buchholz, u can look at my posts regarding this for awhile now i have never really liked the stat.

It regressed everything back to around 10.3% or so. So I am just to assume the residual is all ******** because someone didn't get the predicted value?

I just don't like the stat, I always look at ERA, than FIP to see if someone is getting lucky. I really like FIP probably my favorite pitching stat
    You shouldn't assume anything. But over time, most pitchers will move back towards that number (depending on park). HR/FB% isn't a skill for the most part. Very few pitchers defy it. If you find a pitcher that can defy it for many years, you must check their home/road splits and their home park and see if that's the reason. If it's not, then you adjust for that.

xFIP, for Matt Cain, has proved to be pretty useless his entire career.

But for Buchholz, you don't feel he should be punished for having a 5.7% HR/FB when he's been over 10% his entire career. That makes no sense to me. He's due to regress.

Any baseball reading list starts and ends with Moneyball.