Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 33 of 41 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I think I get what jlohm1 is saying about Bruce. Its' not that the guy is without talent, but there have been countless players at the major league level with the same potential who never lived up to the hype. I remember hearing the same kind of talk about Austin Kearns. Bruce is special in the sense that he has the tools to be very successful, but he hasn't fully lived up to that potential. He needs to find a level consistency throughout the season. So it's hard to say that he is truly a special player just yet, really good though. Definitely not a star.

Bruce's HR and RBI totals have went up each of the last four seasons, so he is getting better in those areas. However, his batting average needs to improve. We have seen a drastic variance in that category from year-to-year. At the plate Bruce looks a lot like Ryan Ludwick from 2007-2010, and nobody is saying that he is special or a star for that matter. That said, where Bruce excels is with his defense, it sets him apart from players like Ludwick.

As far as trading Bruce when he was in AAA. I can't answer that, depends on who I get in return. Nobody is untradable.

Kinsm is offline Kick'em when they're down
    vCash
    The only season in which Ludwick was better than Bruce was 2008 when he was 29 years old.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stsparks72 View Post
    I think I get what jlohm1 is saying about Bruce. Its' not that the guy is without talent, but there have been countless players at the major league level with the same potential who never lived up to the hype. I remember hearing the same kind of talk about Austin Kearns. Bruce is special in the sense that he has the tools to be very successful, but he hasn't fully lived up to that potential. He needs to find a level consistency throughout the season. So it's hard to say that he is truly a special player just yet, really good though. Definitely not a star.

Bruce's HR and RBI totals have went up each of the last four seasons, so he is getting better in those areas. However, his batting average needs to improve. We have seen a drastic variance in that category from year-to-year. At the plate Bruce looks a lot like Ryan Ludwick from 2007-2010, and nobody is saying that he is special or a star for that matter. That said, where Bruce excels is with his defense, it sets him apart from players like Ludwick.

As far as trading Bruce when he was in AAA. I can't answer that, depends on who I get in return. Nobody is untradable.
    that's exactly what i'm saying! it seams like he's good for about a month during the summer, and then the rest of the season he's below average.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgobrownies7 View Post
    I don't know why you even waste your time jlohm.
    true
    Quote Originally Posted by behnke2017 View Post
    He's decent but he's no superstar. His value to the team is far below what they could have hauled in a trade when he was in AAA.
    Quote Originally Posted by behnke2017 View Post
    Top 30 offensive player doesn't make you a star. I said he was good but he's not a SUPERstar.

He was once similar to Wily Mo Pena so that doesn't say much. The similar players thing is just a hey this is kinda cool thing but it's nothing to judge a player by. When Jay Bruce is in the HoF I'll give you an all expenses paid trip to see that.
    i completely agree with behnke

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    The only season in which Ludwick was better than Bruce was 2008 when he was 29 years old.
    Correction, 2008 was the only year that Ludwick had a better year than Bruce did in 2011. Lets compare exactly what I said. Ludwick from 2007-2010 and Bruce from 2008-2011.

Ryan Ludwick
    1817 AB - 272 Runs - 331 RBI - .270 AVG - 90 HR - 445 SO

Jay Bruce
    2076 AB - 274 Runs - 277 RBI - .253 AVG - 100 HR - 479 SO

Considering the AB difference Ludwick actually has an advantage over Bruce in the hitting department over those four seasons. Again, where Bruce has an advantage is with his defense and I think its fair to factor in his age. My point is that nobody was calling Ludwick a special/star player over that four year period, he was just considered really good. In my opinion Bruce needs to get better before I start calling him a star.

vCash
    This forum has been lame latley.

props to Bee for the sig!!

vCash
    Ok brownie I got to know... Other than my wierd bald brother (had to throw that in there, he may be reading), I don't know many Cleveland Browns, Cincinnati Reds fans out there. What gives? Do you live near cincy and the Bengals made you mad? Do you live near Cleveland and the Indians are just boring?/ Or do you live in Columbus and can't make up you mind?

vCash
    My parents and grand parents were and are all Reds, Browns, OSU, and Celtics fans and I followed in their footsteps.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgobrownies7 View Post
    My parents and grand parents were and are all Reds, Browns, OSU, and Celtics fans and I followed in their footsteps.
    Nothing wrong with that. Me .... Reds , Raiders , OSU, and 76ers. Pretty much the same, family intrest. First love was Pete Ros, Ken Stabler, Woody Hayes and Dr J. those were the days

vCash
    I wish I was old enough to see the Reds and OSU of the 70's amd early 80's too. I'm only in my mid 20's.

vCash
    I wish I was old enough to see the Reds and OSU of the 70's amd early 80's too. I'm only in my mid 20's.

vCash
    A lot of people in Ohio are Cleveland Browns and Cincinnati Reds fans. I have several friends who are fans of both teams. It has a lot to do with tradition.

As for myself when it comes to team sports:
    Pro Baseball: Cincinnati Reds and Dayton Dragons
    Pro Football: Green Bay Packers (but I like to see both the Bengals and the Browns do well. How strange is that?)
    College Football: Ohio State Buckeyes
    Pro Basketball: Boston Celtics
    College Basketball: Dayton Flyers

The only time I watch Soccer or Hockey is when the United States is playing for something big like the World Cup or an Olympic medal.
    Last edited by stsparks72; 02-01-2012 at 12:38 AM.

vCash
    Echo...echo...echooooo

|MY GFX GALLERY|
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Then-Most View Post
    I am a twilight fan girl

vCash
    Is anybody watching Baseball IQ on MLB Network? I'm a junkie for baseball trivia.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stsparks72 View Post
    Is anybody watching Baseball IQ on MLB Network? I'm a junkie for baseball trivia.
    No but you should check out the Jeopardy thread in the MLB forum

|MY GFX GALLERY|
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Then-Most View Post
    I am a twilight fan girl

Page 33 of 41 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast